Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman?

Aug 23, 2012, 9:50 AM

TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman?

Tajh Boyd has all the weapons around him to place himself squarely in the Heisman mix. We also discuss Clemson Tom's Tuesday takeover of the forums, your calls and more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman?

Aug 23, 2012, 9:53 AM

I don't think so... We still don't have the respect!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman?

Aug 23, 2012, 10:09 AM

Great WR unit - check.
Great RB in backfield - check.
Consistent Offensive Line - ????

Even if the OL plays better than I expect, I don't think it will be enough to make him a Heisman contender this year. Our success in the win column directly correlates to Tajh's chances of being a contender. If I had to bet on it, the OL isn't strong enough to give us the wins & to give Tajh the consistency he needs to win it.

2013 may, and hopefully will be, a different story altogether.

Aug 23, 2012, 10:35 AM

Could a "weak" OL possibly improve his chances through if he has great numbers and wins games? Being able to create a play from nothing and make plays with your feet is what helped RG3 win it last year. It will certainly make a statement to know that even with an inexperienced line, he was able to make plays and find receivers on the move.

I'm a glass half full guy.

Aug 23, 2012, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman? ]

kevin carter on one of the espn shows picked tajh to win the maxwell and the heisman. so he must be getting "some" respect.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No respect at #14?

Aug 23, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Does Tajh Boyd have a legitimate shot at the Heisman? ]

I think we may be getting too much respect. Time will tell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering CJ wasn't even INVITED to the ceremony

Aug 23, 2012, 9:54 AM

I highly doubt it

I still believe that was one of the largest

Aug 23, 2012, 10:17 AM

miscarriages of justice in the history of the award...maybe in the history of college football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson PR Department is largely responsible for that***

Aug 23, 2012, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Considering CJ wasn't even INVITED to the ceremony ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What killed CJ was his rushing stats

Aug 23, 2012, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Considering CJ wasn't even INVITED to the ceremony ]

We all know CJ was amazing and was a multipurpose threat. Whether it was running, receiving, or kick returning he would strike fear in his opponents every time he touched the ball. The problem was that he didn't just have average RB stats with his all-purpose yardage, he was a little below that and I think that's what killed him. He only had 1 big time breakout game rushing and that was the ACC championship. Only 3 other times did he even hit 100 yards. In the other 9 games he had 12, 87, 77, 72, 81, 27, 97, 58, and 18 yards. That's certainly not gonna "wow" voters, which is what you have to do to get the Heisman.

Now Tahj on the other hand, he doesn't have to worry about all purpose. All he needs to do is put up passing yards. If he can consistently have 300+ yard games, maybe mix in a 400 yarder or 2 and throw a bunch of TDs, then he'll be right there. Especially if we win. I think he'll do it too!

That and our record, overall performance of the team.

Aug 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

It, unfortunately, always is a major factor as well.

That might be why he didn't get the votes, but has nothing

Aug 23, 2012, 12:42 PM [ in reply to What killed CJ was his rushing stats ]

to do with why he didn't get invited to NY. The lack of invite to NY was because they didn't think he would raise TV ratings. Tebow raised TV ratings, so he was invited despite being in a distant 5th. Whereas CJ was not too far behind him in 6th and there was a huge dropoff in votes to 7th.

I think so, just not this year.

Aug 23, 2012, 10:09 AM

In order for any player to have a legitimate shot at the Heisman, their team has to be in the national championship hunt. While I don't see Clemson in it this year, I think its likely they'll be in the conversation next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^agreed.***

Aug 23, 2012, 10:10 AM

Like Baylor last year?******

Aug 23, 2012, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I think so, just not this year. ]

Good Point.*****

Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baylor only lost 3 games, and knocked off 4 ranked opponents

Aug 23, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Like Baylor last year?****** ]

last year, and their losses were earlier in the season. We went 6-5 with Dantzler in 2001, and also lost 5 games in 2009 (Spiller) including our last regular season game where Spiller didn't impress with his rushing numbers, and then lost the championship to GT.

Heisman is the product of a HYPE machine. Tajh wont win it***

Aug 23, 2012, 10:12 AM

Glad to hear The Fridge is doing better healthwise.

Aug 23, 2012, 10:16 AM

Love the show. Keep it up!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Anyone can win it this time of the year.***

Aug 23, 2012, 10:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 23, 2012, 11:11 AM

I honestly think the only way this happens is if we actually have a defense that can cause a lot of three and outs on the other side...or at least could get the offense back on the field more i.e. turnovers. Look at our defense last year...not many three and outs...cost us the GT game IMO. I just don't buy into the fact that this offense means our defense has to be on the field more. It still comes down to, if you stop THEM on offense the defense comes off the field. It is still the defenses job to stop the other team. I don't care how many times they have to trot out there after our offense scores or punts. Just stop the other team and the offense gets another chance!

Imagine how many yards or plays this team could run if we could just get it the ball more! Imagine a dominant defense that could stop the other team, and then putting this offense on the field MORE! That is where you will see the gaudy numbers put up. JMO!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2012, 2:35 PM

What you described is what WV did vs.us in the OB. Their defense got us off the field, and their offense scored regularly. I would love for our defense to do the job, and then the offense do it's job, every time we have the ball. When Oklahoma was in Switzer's heyday, that's what they did week after week. They won games like 70-0 or some lopsided score every week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2012, 11:13 AM

We just need to worry about winning games! You cant even talk heisman unless your winning. Get tired of all the preseason heiman talk. Just F'n WIN!

The o-line is going to factor into his chances, as well as

Aug 23, 2012, 12:01 PM

the overall performance, the defense, and the overall record of the team. It's always been that way.

LOL, you're seriously discussing Clemson Tom

Aug 23, 2012, 12:58 PM

Isnt that like being an enabler?

If Clemson can go 8-0 and he puts up those ridiculous #'s

Aug 23, 2012, 12:59 PM

again, then sure. But he's got to avoid the collapse at the end that happened to him last year.

Boyd is good, but not Heisman-esque great like RG3, et al.

Aug 23, 2012, 1:16 PM

IMHO Boyd is just not the same caliber of QB as recent Heisman-winning QBs like, RG3, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, & Tim Tebow (or even non-winners like Andrew Luck). And I just don't see Boyd jumping ahead of guys like Matt Barkley.

The Heisman-QB speculation is always a fun topic, just like it was with Cullen Harper, Kyle Parker, et al.

IMO...Yes, but!

Aug 23, 2012, 5:43 PM

he would have to cut back on some of the Turn overs.
and,Clemson would need to be a top 7 or 8 team,nationally.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic