Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Radakovich thinks ACC is on the brink of greatness
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Radakovich thinks ACC is on the brink of greatness

Jul 12, 2013, 12:05 PM

Radakovich thinks ACC is on the brink of greatness

Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich thinks the ACC is on the brink of greatness, and that the recent additions of schools like Notre Dame and the possibility of an ACC Network will also reap financial windfalls for the member institutions. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then the ACC must be

Jul 12, 2013, 12:07 PM

gonna jump in our pocket!!!

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Of course he's going to say that...***

Jul 12, 2013, 12:09 PM

Re: I think he is right.***

Jul 12, 2013, 12:19 PM

Re: Of course he's going to say that...***

Jul 12, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Of course he's going to say that...*** ]

yes what else could he say

Re: Front Page Story: Radakovich thinks ACC is on the brink of greatness

Jul 12, 2013, 12:11 PM

On the "brink of greatness"???? Have they fired Swoffy and not told us????

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see the ACC might jump to

Jul 12, 2013, 12:15 PM

CLEMSON LEVEL!!! Greatness!

Go Tigers!!!

BEHOLD OUR BASKETBALL GREATNESS!!!!

Jul 12, 2013, 12:53 PM

Hey! Quit watching college football over there and come behold our basketball greatness?!

Ok, not now, but February and March for sure, right?

I'll put you down as a maybe.

Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing.

Jul 12, 2013, 1:05 PM

I think he's a level-headed businessman who can see all the angles. Some of you seriously need to calm down; the additions to Death Valley will be built and we won't lose any recruits over it. From a financial standpoint, investing in other sports is beneficial in terms of the ACC Network, as they will need more sports than just football to cover, and sports like softball and wrestling can bring in a lot of money that way, even if ticket sales aren't great. I'm bummed we won't get the oculus as soon as we thought, but Radakovich's long-term vision for Clemson athletics is spot-on, IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing.

Jul 12, 2013, 1:29 PM

Sorry, but I have a different view of things. Building a new basketball facility should not be done at the expense of finishing the West Zone projects. At Clemson football is the bread and butter of our athletic program and Death Valley is the centerpiece. I do love basketball, but this is not Chapel Hill. Alabama should be our benchmark.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As "Homeslice" alluded earlier, Rad has to look at this from

Jul 12, 2013, 1:38 PM

a 30K foot view. The ACC expanded North and is developing a Network due to larger footprint for TV sets and recruiting opportunities.

Re: As "Homeslice" alluded earlier, Rad has to look at this from

Jul 12, 2013, 1:51 PM

I ceertainly want ALL of the programs at Clemson to excel and they deserve the support needed to do so; however, Clemson Football is the "brand" for Clemson Athletics and other projects should not be funded at its expense. Heck, as I understand it, funding had already been accomplished for completion of the West Zone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The other programs...

Jul 12, 2013, 5:57 PM

should be funded in any way possible. The ongoing on future construction projects are WAY past due. The oculus and museum are unnecessary. I know the administration claims otherwise, but I fully believe that the "museum" will be 80% about football.

Ha. That's kind of funny. I was under the assumption

Jul 12, 2013, 9:20 PM

that it would be 100% about football. But i guess you're right. if there is only one it should be about all of it.

However isn't there a museum planned in the new baseball facility?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

From what I've read...

Jul 12, 2013, 10:32 PM

Clemson claims that the museum will be comprehensive in scope, covering all of the institution's history, from its days as a school of 446 white guys in 1893 to today's multi-cultural university of over 19,000 students. And there is a lobby planned for the entrance to Doug Kingsmore like the lobby that already exists at Death Valley, but I'd hardly call it a museum.

Clemson is NOT Alabama...

Jul 12, 2013, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing. ]

and never will be. Alabama has many more living alumni/fans than Clemson does and a much larger athletic budget. I know it's unpopular, but Alabama is not Clemson's competition.

Finally, someone who gets it. Its all about TV appeal and..

Jul 12, 2013, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing. ]

once the ACC Network is up and running, Clemson has got to have more programs in order to establish better brand equity in the new areas that the ACC has acquired. Men's Wrestling is very popular in Pa, NY, and In, it's inexpensive and we have had success here. Its really a short term "no brainer".

Finally, someone who gets it. Its all about TV appeal and..

Jul 12, 2013, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing. ]

once the ACC Network is up and running, Clemson has got to have more programs in order to establish better brand equity in the new areas that the ACC has acquired. Men's Wrestling is very popular in Pa, NY, and In, it's inexpensive and we have had success here. Its really a short term "no brainer".

Re:Building a new basketball arena is not a good idea. We

Jul 12, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Personally, I really like what Radakovich is doing. ]

can't fill Littlejohn as it is. Look at SC. They build that while elephant and
can't get 2500 people in it and they built it on the cheap.

Clemson isn't about to build anything like...

Jul 12, 2013, 5:54 PM

the Colonial Life Arena. It's WAY too big and it's never full. "New arena" does not mean "bigger". I wish people would realize that.

I agree! So add men's and women's lacrosse ASAP.

Jul 12, 2013, 1:38 PM

Stop fooling around with softball and, God forbid, rasslin.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Rad is never going to add LAX. Bad experience with it in

Jul 12, 2013, 1:43 PM

his past. Not right or wrong...just the way it is. The Clemson Men's Wrestling Alumni Group has down too much ground work and have been working with the administration developing relationships for several years. They have a built an amazing support network and are giving $$. Probably better than any "Olympic" Sport currently on campus with the exception of the Mens Golf program. Sorry, just the truth.

I don't know what his "bad experience" with lacrosse is, but

Jul 12, 2013, 4:59 PM

it should have nothing to do with Clemson. I want what's best for Clemson, and I believe it would be to add lacrosse. It makes sense for many reasons, including:

-It is a fast growing sport, especially in the southeast
-It is a strength of the ACC's (ACC is the strongest lacrosse conference)
-Startup costs are very little, especially when compared to something like softball which requires a new stadium
-A lot of current and prospective students are interested in it

I know you want wrestling, and I think it's great that the alumni group has been so organized about trying to get it back. But wrestling had its chance at Clemson, and was discontinued. I realize that was partly (mostly?) due to Title IX stuff, but it's going to be a tough sell to resurrect an old sport when it would be just as easy to add a new one which would be a perfect fit at Clemson and in the ACC.

Maybe we can just add both and this won't be an either-or issue. :)

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Wrestling was dropped largely because...

Jul 12, 2013, 6:00 PM

of drug problems and other issues that swamped the program.

No it wasn't. You have no idea what you're talking about.***

Jul 12, 2013, 7:00 PM

Re: Wrestling was dropped largely because...

Jul 13, 2013, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Wrestling was dropped largely because... ]

Title IX took care of wrestling...

Drad's last 3 jobs were all at places that did not

Jul 13, 2013, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Rad is never going to add LAX. Bad experience with it in ]

have lacrosse.......maybe that was his problem..

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

i'd go wrestling 1, womens softball 2, lax 3, in that order.

Jul 13, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to I agree! So add men's and women's lacrosse ASAP. ]

let's get'em all up and running! either that, or we could use the bi-lo center and do a men's and women's hockey thing, since we do have a few northern toes in our footprint!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC is on the brink of greatness just like I am on the

Jul 12, 2013, 1:43 PM

brink of becoming a millionaire. I just need another $990,000.00 and I am there.

Well, you can't deny that ACC basketball is lightyears

Jul 12, 2013, 1:54 PM

ahead of everyone else. I mean, there's no way top to bottom we can achieve elite status in football as a conference.

Dook, NC, Wake, NCS, UVa, Cuse, Pitt, are just rest stops for good football coaches, usually just a stepping stone to higher ground.

We have what, four good football schools, from an historical perspective?

Why not take advantage of accentuating the basketball aspect?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, Ray Tanner wasn't chosen to be on the board??? LMFAO!***

Jul 12, 2013, 1:55 PM

Sun provides heat and light.***

Jul 12, 2013, 2:18 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Radakovich thinks ACC is on the brink of greatness

Jul 12, 2013, 3:35 PM

And Jay Carney said today in his White House Briefing that Obama is doing a great job.

Nothing against DRad, but there isn't anything different he can say. Same for Dabo. They have to say the ACC is great. Clemson is great. yada yada. because they are selling Clemson to donors, alumni, recruits, etc. Not that it isn't true, but you just don't ask your barber when you need a haircut.

Deer DRad, A "covey"???

Jul 12, 2013, 3:37 PM

Sir choose your words wisely. Someone could construe a bird reference from that word.

I certainly hope you are correct about nd. They screwed the big east into extinction. So far they've done the same to the acc. nd football has not joined the acc and do not share their football earnings. Sound similar? Will they bolt again?

Carry on DRad.

Well, what an honor to be listed with the likes of

Jul 12, 2013, 4:31 PM

Peg Bradley-Doppes of Denver.

Whatevs. All I care about is CLEMSON'S greatness.***

Jul 12, 2013, 4:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swofford has been predicting ACC greatness for last 16 years

Jul 12, 2013, 5:33 PM

ACC should be (continue to be) great in basketball. But in football the SEC just dominates in money & recruiting and therefore will likely continue to dominate on the field. The ACC's top-recruiting teams (like FSU, Clemson, Miami) get out-recruited by the SEC's top teams. As long as that continues, the ACC will be on the brink, occasionally knocking out some key wins (like Clemson over LSU) but not overall greatness. Here's some indicative data.

Clemson recruiting vs. some SEC schools 2009-2013:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/7/9/4454444/evaluating-the-2009-2013-recruiting-classes-around-the-southeast

Clemson recruiting vs. some SEC schools 2013:http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/7/2/4454086/evaluating-the-2013-non-acc-recruiting-classes-around-the-southeast

Clemson recruiting vs. the Coastal Division 2009-2013:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/6/25/4451446/evaluating-the-2009-2013-coastal-division-recruiting-classes

Atlantic Division recruiting 2009-2013:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2013/5/28/4343108/evaluating-the-2009-2013-atlantic-division-recruiting-classes

ACC Network never sounded so vague. Sounds like

Jul 12, 2013, 7:00 PM

talking in circles. That might be a good thing because the ACC network, if it ever happens, will get most of its material from basketball (we suck), lacross (the up and coming tv sport in which we don't have a team and aren't planning on getting one), and baseball ( let's see: UNC, Virginia, FSU, Miami, NC State, oh and Clemson).

Does Dan R. ever really say anything?

The Belk Bowl, the Music City Bowl, the Pin Stripe Bowl AND

Jul 12, 2013, 7:54 PM

the Sun Bowl?

Be still my beating heart.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those bowls are also on the brink of greatness.***

Jul 13, 2013, 1:42 AM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic