Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Projected Starters: Offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

New Story: Projected Starters: Offense

Feb 24, 2015, 3:48 PM

Projected Starters: Offense

Spring practice begins next week and several position battles are up in there as the Tigers begin a month-long process that ends with the annual spring game on April 11th. Before we head into the spring, however, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what I think the starting lineups would look like if the season started today. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You hit the nail on the head

Feb 24, 2015, 4:13 PM

This is how I called it several times.

For me, it starts at OL* I have little doubt the staff will find a good starting 5, but
what about depth? That's a concern.

At Wide receiver, I know a lot of folks don't wanna hear this, but the time is now for
Peake** I have no doubt he will be pushed HARD by Thompson, "CAIN" and McCloud. Going
be really hard to fend those off for long.

RUNNING BACK...
I agree, Gallman starts to begin with. But I like Choice and Fuller, and even Dye-like
you said. Making a run as well.

What about QB? Israel going be the back-up?

Just some thoughts...

Re: New Story: Projected Starters: Offense

Feb 24, 2015, 4:15 PM

Was hoping to read more of a plug-play assessment where we could see where you may think some of the new recruits could plug in and why they could be a projected starter over what was there, from a writer's point of view. Understood it's hard to know until practice starts, but would be interesting to see your view on where you think it could look by Game 1.

Barely saw Cain mentioned, but didn't see RRM-III mentioned at all (though he could be in the WR or RB mix). Only 3 WR's named, but we play with 4....so who's the likely 4th guy by an early assessment of skill? Is it literally that all 3 OL we picked up would all 3 be competing for the exact same spot where Gore is? Or is there another spot one of them is suited for and could push for time at?

Feb 24, 2015, 5:49 PM

We'd don't play with 4 wr a lot but Hopper would be #4. Peake and Williams on the outside with Scott and Hopper on the inside is a DC nightmare. And that before you mention a back or 1 of the best qb in the country.

Feb 25, 2015, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Projected Starters: Offense ]

I expect Brooks to play some in the slot.
I expect one of the freshman OL to backup one of the guard spots and one to backup at RT.
I do not expect any of the freshmen to start this year unless there are significant injuries. I expect Cain and RayRay to play and 2 OL and 1 DT.
The DE from Orangeburg, Huggins might be the only one to get a start against Wofford but I do not expect him to start, I think one of the RS freshmen will.

I have to think Brooks will be a Co-starter at RB!***

Feb 24, 2015, 6:59 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honest Opinion coming

Feb 24, 2015, 8:15 PM

It is stupid for Brooks to even compete at RB this year. His time has passed and when he had the chance he wasn't able to show much. He struggles to keep weight on. The coaches will give him the chance in the spring if he plays but the smart move here is to secure more depth at the WR position and give him a new chance to excel there. I am not a fan of Brooks in the rotation of the backfield. Id say Gallman, Choice, Dye (I haven't seen much but his upside seems solid) are the top 3 on the depth chart with CJ and Brooks being even since CJ is in the Dog House and followed by Fuller

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest Opinion coming

Feb 25, 2015, 1:57 AM

I will agree with you up to this point...Of all the RBs,you are going to find Brooks is the best of the bunch. That isn't to say Gallman will not get better and be prepared for 2015. But Brooks blocks extremely well and is a threat to catch the ball on mixed 2nd and 3rd downs. That would be my one draw back taking him away from the RB rotation...

Agree.... Gallman's 190+ against a terrible USuCk D

Feb 25, 2015, 8:05 AM [ in reply to I have to think Brooks will be a Co-starter at RB!*** ]

shouldn't be enough to win this job. I like the kid, and he works hard, but his style of running (upright, will go down on any hard hit) just doesn't excite me.

Brooks knows the O and this is his last chance. He knows how to run through the A-gap and tackles, but can get outside to catch the ball as well. I have to believe that he'll get the early majority of snaps and the job will be his to lose.

There's a logjam here, and while these are all quality kids, they're also a commodity. It's terrible to say that 4* athletes at this position are a commodity, but the NFL has known this for awhile. They never really draft RB's int he 1st round anymore.

Truly, we had better playmakers at this position in the 80's.

Would love to see Dye show me different, and given his stature and relative speed, he might be the breakout candidate.

Can't wait to see this O....

Kickers? Punter, PR/KR?

Feb 24, 2015, 8:18 PM

Ssia

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

oh, nm im an idiot - this was offense

Feb 25, 2015, 9:22 AM

(facepalm)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

From what I heard about Cain

Feb 24, 2015, 9:30 PM

he has a good chance to start. Ray Ray will put on some pressure too.

Re: From what I heard about Cain

Feb 25, 2015, 8:20 AM

I could easily see Cain in the starting lineup. I would bet Ray Ray will be more of a specialty teams guy this year. This is going to be fun to watch unfold. The most excitement for me comes, probably next year, when all the stud OL get that RS year under their belts and grow into the real deal OL we've desperately needed for so long. We are on the cusp of greatness, IMO, and I can't wait!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic