Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Friday update on Morris/Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Friday update on Morris/Watson

Nov 28, 2014, 10:41 AM

Good morning everybody! I thought this was gonna be an easy day in the world of TigerNet, but it wasn't to be. The late news last night on Chad Morris coupled with the fact that my phone keeps going off with people wanting to know about Deshaun Watson meant a busy night and even busier morning.

SO here we go.....when the Chad rumors came out last night I was stunned. Turns out - from what I am hearing - I wasn't the only one. Head coach Dabo Swinney has done an excellent job of cloistering his team this week and keeping them focused on South Carolina - heck he even closed off practices - and then this happens less than 36 hours before kickoff. I've heard all of this took Coach Swinney a little bit by surprise (even though Chad had been mentioned as a candidate), and you can imagine that isn't what he wanted to happen with the Gamecocks looming. So...will he take it?? I am still hearing not a done deal but that this is a job he wants. I also had the father of one recruit call me and tell me that Morris said he was "taking a job in Texas." So there ya go...sounds like maybe it's just a matter of time.

As for Watson....I heard he took all of the first team snaps in practice yesterday and should be ready to go for Saturday. One person told me he looked "really good." We haven't seen an injury report for the game, and I don't know if we will know who is actually starting until the first series. My guess - Watson gets the first snaps.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Friday update on Morris/Watson

Nov 28, 2014, 10:43 AM

thanks for filling superior in on that watson news david. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier aint that dumb***

Nov 28, 2014, 10:44 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great job for all you do David

Here's to Morris and the team giving 110 percent tomorrow.

Glad to hear we might have Watson. I don't like hearing that a recruit knew Morris was gone.

Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM

He better get the first snaps. He could stand in the pocket and not run and be our best option to win. I like Cole as a person but I don't trust him throwing the ball on anything but a little 1 yard shovel pass to Scott.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM

Dumb question but do you see any current players following Morris to smu if he leaves?

No...most of these players are from this end of the country

Nov 28, 2014, 10:50 AM

So I don't see that as being a problem.

No way Dabo was surprised by the Morris news. The timing

Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM

may have been a surprise, but I'm sure Dabo knew before the media reported it.

I agree***

Nov 28, 2014, 10:56 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nov 28, 2014, 10:49 AM

So, if he is already reaching out to incoming recruits and telling them but not his current players that's a little shifty in my opinion. I will admit, I take rejection terribly h3ll is still hate The liar, traitor Rick Barnes so this Morris thing has me a little down but we will be fine, I believe that much. However, if Morris is soliciting our recruits then shame on him! I am speculating here so don't be too harsh on me, I am just reacting or over reacting, whichever....

No...I think it means he was reaching out to tell them...

Nov 28, 2014, 10:51 AM

before they heard it from somewhere else. If he is the kid's recruiter, then that's the best thing to do. No way some of these 4-star and 5-star guys are going to SMU

What are the odds they go elsewhere though?

Nov 28, 2014, 1:41 PM

That's what I'm concerned about...

Re: What are the odds they go elsewhere though?

Nov 28, 2014, 2:04 PM

I thought that yesterday, and shared your concern. Then I realized that perhaps the recruiting class saw this as a possibility too. People have been talking about CM taking a HC job for 2 years now. Just my opinion.

Yeah, and Dabo said this isn't a Chad Morris offense, but a

Nov 28, 2014, 2:06 PM

Clemson offense so maybe the recruits won't care that much. I've never heard any of them establishing a relationship with Morris anyway...not like some have with Dabo, Venables, Reed, and others...

I feel better now...

What has Morris done wrong and what did

Nov 28, 2014, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Friday update on Morris/Watson ]

rick Barnes do wrong?

I'm listening

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: What has Morris done wrong and what did

Nov 28, 2014, 10:57 AM

I never said my thoughts were rational.

Yeah I have no doubt that 4 star players from the Southeast

Nov 28, 2014, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Friday update on Morris/Watson ]

are chomping at the bit to go to a 0-10 team in Texas to play.

Holy cow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

SMU

Nov 28, 2014, 11:03 AM

This program is so far down now...how many years will they give Chad (if he leaves) ??? He needs 3 - 4 years to get recruits to believe in the program...and how much will they let him spend on a coaching staff?? Hope Chad is not setting himself for failure.

Life goes on....coaches come and go***

Nov 28, 2014, 11:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Life goes on....coaches come and go***

Nov 28, 2014, 11:14 AM

Bingo...

SOOOOO many other coaches can run this easy style of offense its not even funny...We will be more than OK...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Dabo has known for a while Chad was going to leave

Nov 28, 2014, 11:15 AM

he'd already sold his house in Clemson for goodness sakes...this isn't a surprise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo has known for a while Chad was going to leave

Nov 28, 2014, 2:00 PM

I agree. This is no surprise, and I seriously doubt that this will affect recruiting either. Pretty sure the class saw this as a possibility too.

Amen!***

Nov 28, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Life goes on....coaches come and go*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

So, who the hayl can you trust ?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:27 AM

Go Tigers...............

Beat the Coots..........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Re: So, who the hayl can you trust ?

Nov 28, 2014, 12:13 PM

Your momma

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Thanks David and a question...

Nov 28, 2014, 12:50 PM

Don't coaching searches ask permission to speak with assistants before contact? This is pretty standard correct? If so, how could Dabo be surprised unless Morris blatantly told him he wouldn't take the SMU job? Chip Brown reported last night that the offer had been on the table for at least two weeks?

Re: Thanks David and a question...

Nov 28, 2014, 1:02 PM

go research chip brown and see what he is thought. whether right or wrong, people rarely listen to his ramblings. he's a moron. but, if chad leaves - so what? tons of gifted oc's out there. tons

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Thanks David and a question...

Nov 28, 2014, 1:12 PM

You read what you wanted to in my post. The question was about Dabo being surprised by it all. I don't care if Morris leaves. We'll be fine.

Yes, Chip Brown isn't always accurate (ala Saban to Texas), but your 'research' will tell you that Brown is an SMU graduate, not to mention other credible outlets are reporting the same news including the guy who started this thread.

Serious question, David

Nov 28, 2014, 1:24 PM

I understand the desire to become a head coach and to go somewhere close to home. But why on earth would Morris go to a dumpster fire like SMU? I would think that one of the highest paid assistants in all the country would be able to hold out for at least a bottom dweller from one of the power 5 conferences, not one of the worst 10 teams in FBS. What are your thoughts?

Re: Serious question, David

Nov 28, 2014, 1:26 PM

The lure of making 3 million dollars per year and the call of home. Both are very powerful motivators.

Both are pretty attractive deals, I'll give you that.

Nov 28, 2014, 1:32 PM

But what are any coach's chances of making that program successful on the national stage? Very slim I'd say. Maybe that's not his ultimate goal.

Re: Both are pretty attractive deals, I'll give you that.

Nov 28, 2014, 1:39 PM

Most coaches are Ego driven and I definitely feel Chad is blessed with a healthy Ego. This is his big break and he is going to seize the opportunity.

Maybe he hopes to do well enough at SMU (6-7 wins) to make

Nov 28, 2014, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Both are pretty attractive deals, I'll give you that. ]

him an attractive candidate for jobs like aTm, Texas, Baylor, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Very possibly,

Nov 28, 2014, 1:47 PM

but I think even 6 to 7 wins is a bit of a stretch at SMU. Depends on how patient the athletic department and fan base are. They're 0-10 and losing most of their games by 30-40 points. And their opponents are bottom dwellers too. It would probably take at least 4 or 5 years to get them to a bowl game.

TCU

Nov 28, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Both are pretty attractive deals, I'll give you that. ]

If someone can make TCU actually relavent... Then the same is easily possible at SMU...

Texas has a billion D1 players every year. Won't be easy though... That's a tough gig.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Serious question, David ]

Agreed. ZERO chance to become a national program. Not even in the power 5. It has to be the lure of Texas. Sad. Good possibility he won't be heard from again.

I agree.

Nov 28, 2014, 1:43 PM

If he takes the SMU job, he'll be biting off more than he can chew. Unfortunate for him.

Nov 28, 2014, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Serious question, David ]

$3 million.... And the are winless, nowhere to go, but up and he will look like a hero by the time he is done and it wail set him up nicely for his next job. It's a no brainer really.

Nov 28, 2014, 2:18 PM

Yep..can't blame the guy at all. Gets him back to Texas making great money and gets him closer to Texas recruits where he can strengthen ties before a big Texas program comes calling. IMO a great opportunity and I guarantee within 6-7 years he will be at a bigger program with much potential on the national stage. Good for him.

As for Clemson...much will hinge on keeping this recruiting class together. Unless Venables leaves the D will be fine. Replacing Chad (perception amongst O recruits) will be key to whether we slink back to mediocrity or continue our climb. The next few months will determine the direction of Clemson Football for the next 10 years.

Question for David

Nov 28, 2014, 2:28 PM

If they are already negotiating, it would suggest an interview has taken place. Right?

Don't schools usually ask for permission for interviews?

If Morris told a recruit before Dabo..... That's unprofessional. Also if he did that, he won't help him in the long run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 28, 2014, 2:43 PM

Davidhood let me ask you this. If Chad morris leave who you think would be the guys in the running for the OC job?

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic