Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson falls to Texas A&M in 76 Classic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,401

Nov 26, 2009, 11:26 PM

The Tigers dropped their first game in the month of November since 2004, when Boston College beat Clemson 79-70 in Chestnut Hill, MA. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friday Morning PG...what I see in Tiger BB so far this year.

Nov 27, 2009, 10:57 AM

As a true Tiger fan & a varsity BB coach for 15 years, I'd like to offer my insights to the Tigers this year.

COACH:
OP knows 10 encyclopedias more BB than myself, but I don't understand why he does not run any offensive sets or plays. With no center, I would like to see more high post flashes or screens for the wing players, which could lead to either a backdoor cut or screen & roll. The lack of effective screens is also a curiosity as a huge majority of coaches teach to pass & screen AWAY, but OP has the screener following the pass, which in my eyes, just takes another defender to the ball. Finally, is there not a coach on staff to work with the post players to teach them sit on the block, receive the pass and make a move or two strong to the hole? It appears our guys can't catch & finish with the slightest of contact.

POINT GUARD
Right now, PG play is very erratic to say the least. Poor clock management,spacing issues & tough passes cause many TO's. Since there appears to be no true offense to run, the PG must be able to pass & cut & screen instead of stand. I see to many wild overpenetrating drives that result in a turnover with no one left to get back on defense. Defensively, neither player can stop the ball and opponents are blowing by at will and putting the post players in a no win position to foul.

SHOOTING GUARD
Tanner Smith is the smartest player on the floor for the Tigers and has the biggest heart---unfortunately, he is limited athletically. The extra bulk will help him put the ball on the floor when the defense gets up too close & his shot is much improved...FT% is outstanding. Johnson has shown he can hit the shot, but needs to be able to create & separate to be effective. Also tends to shoot to early in the shot clock.

SMALL FORWARD
David Potter has shown flashes of big improvement, but tends to disappear for long stretches. He also does not attack the boards to needs to in order to make up for KC Rivers loss there. I would not call him a shooter despite his early success--he needs to put the ball on the floor, dribble drive & kick out if covered (not too quick on his feet). Milton Jennings acts quite cocky, but plays nervous. He is talented enough to be the slasher that Potter isn't, but has not shown the desire to draw contact and he hesitates on his jumper. Also, ABCE...he has no "D" in his game yet.

POWER FORWARD
Is it Booker or is it Grant?? It ought to be Booker at PF, but we have no center who can play. The heart of the team is going to have a heart attack if he doesn't get some help down low. He needs to sit down on the block and demand the ball, but has shown frustration & has already started floating out to the perimeter trying to get the ball (yes, ball handling has improved, but let's not get carried away!). The fadeaway jumper is becoming to comfortable...how many times have we seen him drop step or go up & under to slam it home? Answer: not many! He needs to flash high on the screen & roll or screen across and pin his defender for the entry pass. Defensively, our only hope for a rebound. Narcisse showed some signs of wanting to play against A&M, but is a bit out of control. I like his energy & he goes after the boards on both ends...also a better choice on point of the press to keep Booker fresh & out of foul trouble.

CENTER
Technically could leave this area blank...but we start Grant. High energy, but no true BB skills. Too bad he isn't Horace's son instead of Harvey. He is undisciplined on defense and chases his guy around the perimeter all the time for some reason. On offense, an automatic walk...usually because of poor court presence. A few rebounds, but he can't pass or shoot once he has it.

BENCH
The missing or weakest link? A big drop off here until the freshmen figure it out---and they will in time, I'm sure of this. Donte Hill & Devin Booker are the two who need to work hard each and every day to earn a chance to get some PT down the road. Booker needs his butt kicked by big bro' to toughen up and mix it up in the paint instead of floating around the arc. Hill can be a mystery and I haven't figured out if he's going to be a Cliff Hammonds or Sam Perry type down the road. Baize & Anderson won't ever be a factor and it appears that Baicu needs to transfer to a D-III school (and get a haircut). I have noticed in his couple of minutes that Petrukonis is the only post player who does indeed have a few moves, but he just can't keep up with the pace that OP wants to run with.

Respectfully committed by Coach Mac--all rebuttals or rebukes welcome!

well dang

Nov 27, 2009, 11:06 AM

guess we should throw in the towel

YOU can...I expect OP will fix issues by ACC schedule time***

Nov 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

Re: Clemson falls to Texas A&M in 76 Classic

Nov 27, 2009, 2:05 PM

I have watched this basketball team play a couple of games this season. The impression I get from our our teams ID player in Trevor Booker is he has bought all in to his preseason accolades. His job was secure from last year to this year while all others are having to compete for playing time. Booker has played as if he audetioning for the NBA. He is only about 6'5" or 6'6" at best and he is intimadate to play in the paint against taller post players and attempts to become a wingman or shooting guard. The A&M post player was 6'9" and seemed to be a better matchup with Milton Jennings which never took his warmup top off for the second half.Bobo has been here for two years and his court apperance has been like Casper the ghost.If these underclassmen are so highly rated being top 50 to 100 why can't they be coached on the court from the bench? Its early in the season yet, I know. But which basketball team will resemble last years football team or this years football team. OP has been reported to have recruited top talent in his seven years but only to bounced in the first game of the NCAA's in all of his history .I am not going to pull a Terence Ogelsby but I am not sold in the hype of this staff and the outcome of this season and its hype.

Re: Clemson falls to Texas A&M in 76 Classic

Nov 28, 2009, 11:53 AM

As poorly as we shot.... The refs helped a lot....calling charges, blocking at one end.... And blocks, charges at the other end. The officiating was pathetic. Atleast it was consistently horrendous at the other games I watched as well.....officials were just bad all week

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,401
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic