Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze

Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 AM

Where is all this recruiting prowess at Ole Miss coming from? Hugh Freeze was at Lamburth College for 2 years, then 1 season at Arkansas State as OC and one year as HC at Arky State. Now he is landing 5 star recruits left and right? Just doesn't make sense. I just don't understand where the connections and reputation is coming from to draw so much interest from 5 star guys to a historically bottom dweller SEC school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze

Jan 21, 2013, 10:25 AM

CHF was an assistant under Ed Orgeron - he was in on the recruiting of most of the Rebels who won back to back Cotton Bowls a few years ago, including Michael Oher. The guy knows how to recruit and coach.

good luck, who was dabo swinney before taking the clemson

Jan 21, 2013, 10:28 AM

job? how does someone with zero hc experience reel in back to back and possibly back espn top 10 classes? the first of which coming off a 6-7 year with his butt firmly on the hot seat.

the blindside thingy for freeze is way cool too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Before becoming HC Dabo was recruiter of the year

Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 AM

and named a top 25 recruiter another time to a major D1 program (albiet and underachieving program)at Clemson.

He had experience recruiting as was known as a top recruiter. Dabo lacked the X's and O's side of coaching that he has made up for by hiring Morris and Venables.

well you point out freeze's limited hc experience yet dabo

Jan 21, 2013, 10:42 AM

had none.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hugh_freeze_167023.html

have you taken a look around at what ole miss has been doing for 10 years? what they have built. doesn't hurt to follow houston nutt either. freeze was a heck of a recruiter himself while at miss under nutt, while they were winning back to back cotton bowls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also pointed out Dabo's recruiting strength and how he has

Jan 21, 2013, 11:09 AM

over come his lack of HC experience and X and O experience by hiring top notch assistants. He has done that by being "Committed" to Clemson and this football program by turning down raises and giving that money to his assistants.

ok. freeze is from mississippi and came back when they came

Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

calling. sounds like he went the traditional route, was very successful in the sunbelt, has demonstrated all the ability as a recruiting coordinator under nutt, helped win cotton bowls, won coach of the year awards and is now applying it as the head man at ole miss.

doesn't seem like a guy who shouldn't be successful either. from all reports he's a great guy with huge stacks of enthusiasm and if you look, ole miss has some nice digs.

Re: ok. freeze is from mississippi and came back when they came

Jan 21, 2013, 12:26 PM

So, Dabo's first year, when he brought in a total of 12 commits, you questioned how in the world he put together such a great class? This is far from the same situation

? freeze's first class i thought was 2012?***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 PM

Dabo was hired to save our recruiting

Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 AM [ in reply to good luck, who was dabo swinney before taking the clemson ]

Besides Scott he was the man holding our recruits together. Not just the first year but the connections he made for future recruiting years.

DABO IS THE MAN

i love dabo, that doesn't mean freeze isn't great in his own

Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 AM

right does it?

Freeze did not recruit Michael Oher to Ole Miss - He was

Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze ]

Oher's coach in High School.

Oher's freshman year at Ole Miss was 2005...interestingly this is the year that Freeze was hired by Ole Miss to be assistant AD for football operations. He was a tigtend coach and recruiting coordinator for Ole Miss in 06 and 07.

Re: Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze

Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze ]

> CHF was an assistant under Ed Orgeron - he was in on
> the recruiting of most of the Rebels who won back to
> back Cotton Bowls a few years ago, including Michael
> Oher. The guy knows how to recruit and coach.

That right there says it all Orgeron has been a known cheater for years. And Kiffin's brother is the current RC at MS. Enough said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that much different from Dabo getting good recruits?***

Jan 21, 2013, 10:27 AM

Yes. Yes it is.***

Jan 21, 2013, 10:30 AM

Dabo was known throughout college football

Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Is that much different from Dabo getting good recruits?*** ]

as a top recruiter. A lot of you may have forgotten but Saban offered Dabo a coaching position on his staff when he was first hire at Alabama. Dabo chose to stay at Clemson. Dabo was out of coaching and in commercial real estate when Bowden hired him. Dabo stayed at Clemson out of loyalty to Bowden and Clemson. This is also why Dabo is big on the true meaning of "Commitment".

And Freeze isn't known as a top recruiter?

Jan 21, 2013, 10:50 AM

How does one get "known" as a "top recruiter" without first getting top recruits? Didn't Dabo have to start off getting them at some point? When he was getting his first top recruits, was that somehow inappropriate, as you seem to think it is for Freeze?

I can't figure you out so answer this question for me please

Jan 21, 2013, 10:54 AM

Is your contention in this discussion founded on your dislike for Clemson or your dedication to the SEC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Clemson. I am not dedicated to the SEC.

Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 AM

Because I don't assume someone is cheating or seem bitter over someone getting recruits, that means I dislike Clemson? Or am dedicated to the SEC? As far as I'm concerned this discussion has nothing to do with what conference teams are in.

Why in the world did you involve Dabo in this discussion.

Jan 21, 2013, 11:05 AM

There are many ways to sell Old Miss' to a recruit. Good facilities, promise of earlier playing time, good position coaching, style of game plan on both sides of the ball and plenty of legal help making classroom grades.

Now to defend Dabo, I can sell anything I believe in. I think that's Dabo's MO and is most likely true for most of the successful recruiting coordinators in NCAA football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As noted below, I made an erroneous assumption

Jan 21, 2013, 11:06 AM

That the original poster was being critical of Freeze. As such, I used Dabo as a comparative example, based on the assumption that the original poster is a Clemson fan and likes Dabo.

Coot ba yah my lord, Coot ba yah***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 AM

nm

Message was edited by: TigerFurLife®

7 syllables with 2 words, Cant be a coot***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:13 AM [ in reply to As noted below, I made an erroneous assumption ]

All "leaks" or "reports" of "supposed" wrong doing at

Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to And Freeze isn't known as a top recruiter? ]

Ole Miss hint at wrong doing by a certain set of BOOSTERS. The coaching staff, so far has not been mentioned in any of this. It's even been "hinted" at , the AD turned them in to the State Government to try to avoid the staff of the school getting into trouble.

Where did I use the word inappropriate or even insinuate

Jan 21, 2013, 10:56 AM [ in reply to And Freeze isn't known as a top recruiter? ]

that Freeze was doing something unethical? I asked a legitimate question because I was hoping that maybe someone with more knowledge than me could enlighten me.

I know Dabo's past pretty well and know relatively nothing about Hugh Freeze. He does have a top 10 recruiting class under his belt as the RC under Houston Nutt, but that was also Nutt's first class at Ole Miss and the school was very excited at that tip about the hiring of Nutt. And I think that this also contributed to some of the recruits brought in then. Since that class they had a top 25 class the next year but where has Ole Miss's recruiting been since then, until this year?

Noted. I apologize. I guess I automatically grouped you

Jan 21, 2013, 10:57 AM

With others who are pretty much saying Ole Miss is cheating their way to recruiting success.

Re: Where did I use the word inappropriate or even insinuate

Jan 21, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Where did I use the word inappropriate or even insinuate ]

Nutt was an unmitigated disaster during his time at Ole Miss. He won with Orgeron's (and Freeze's) recruits his first couple of years, and then pretty much swung and missed on a bunch of high level guys who never made it to school, had academic issues, or just flat out quit. The two years previous to this one were dumpster fire-type seasons - the worst in Ole Miss history.

Freeze was hired because of his ties to Mississippi, his connections to Ole Miss, and the fact that he's been a winner wherever he's been. He has a history of solid recruiting under Orgeron. This has contributed to his success. But there are other things that I think are helping. He's able to sell immediate playing time, so that can be attractive. He runs a fun, up-tempo offense that kids want to play in. Ole Miss has a passionate fan base that wants a winner badly - see the Rebel's fan turnout for the BBVA Compass Bowl - a third-tier bowl if there ever was one, but a Bowl that had one of the highest attendance records this bowl season. There has been a commitment to football facility upgrades. Game day in Oxford - especially the Grove, the Walk of Champions, etc. - is well known nationally - its a special experience.

Time will tell whether this is short-lived, or whether he is building something special in Oxford. We all know his job isn't going to be easy, given the state of the SEC West.

So you know where I'm coming from - I'm an Ole Miss alum who works at Clemson, so I pull for the Tigers. I love my alma mater, but I really like Clemson as well. Looking forward to the end of recruiting season so these two worlds don't have to cross so much! LOL

Thanks for some of the insight.

Jan 21, 2013, 11:31 AM

I have a couple of friends that share your feelings. They both did undergrad at Auburn and grad work at Clemson.

Thanks again for your thoughts on Ole Miss recruiting.

Re: Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze- Recruiting Coordinator

Jan 21, 2013, 10:32 AM

is Kiff's brother. Before he used to break into peoples vans. So another stellar citizen act raised by Ole Monte

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take the higher road here

Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 AM

First you offer 249 scholarships, then while talking to these guys, you remind them that because of the extreme racist past of the state this University is in, ANYONE can get into these 2 schools.These are probably the 2 easiest of the 124 FBS schools top get in.

I'll let the Miss,State court and the NCAA decide if any other stuff is going on.

Re: I'll take the higher road here

Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM

and said university has its own past. recent past. like after BO was reelected.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Racist past? more like present with 2012 election riot.***

Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 AM [ in reply to I'll take the higher road here ]

Oxford Bagman ! cha ching !***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic