Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am concerned that the Transfer Portal is a very bad thing for many reasons but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

I am concerned that the Transfer Portal is a very bad thing for many reasons but

May 16, 2019, 12:48 PM

one of the biggest reasons in my IMO it will become an outlet for those players who lose that desire to compete at the highest level whenever they are 2 or 3 on the depth chart. Long term I see it as being bad for college football. This year is just the start of kids going into the portal. I believe it will hurt the kids more than anybody else. If things get tuff and they don’t get the playing time they deserve instead of working harder they will jump into the Portal.

To me the Portal is as close to professional free agency as you can get. The only thing missing is the huge ridiculous contracts that is eventually going to implode changing professional sports in a negative way!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Freedom of choice is a good thing.

May 16, 2019, 12:55 PM

Football players aren't cattle. If they want to go somewhere and play more or whatever their reason may be, let them.

College football is as popular as it's ever been and it's getting more so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally Agree!

May 16, 2019, 1:50 PM

I love that the portal makes it easier for players to make the decision to leave. Shaq has graduated, so he's free to do whatever he wants with his remaining 2 years of eligibility. But, others that haven't graduated can get some benefit from the portal.

Here's the best thing about the Portal: Kids are making decisions and will learn they have to accept the consequences of those decisions. My personal opinion is that Feaster will regret leaving Clemson. But, that's all I've got here... just an opinion... definitely not a dog in this fight. But, for Feaster, this is his life. He's making a big boy decision and will get the reap the rewards (or regrets) of that decision. What a wonderful opportunity to learn what it's like to be an adult!

Hopefully, the XFL will be successful and let those kids that want to get paid to play, go do just that. I'm sick and tired of everybody pointing the finger at the NCAA for not paying college students. It's not the NCAAs fault. Blame the NFL if you must. Or, better yet, tell the students to quit school and get a job!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freedom of choice is a good thing.

May 16, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Freedom of choice is a good thing. ]

I don't have an opinion on whether the portal is good or bad. But what I do see is a better balance of talent for football teams that have been down for some time.
Back in the day when Paul Bear Bryant was coach, his teams would be 4 or 5 deep with the top players in the nation. The NCAA then instituted the 85 player scholarship rule and the balance of power was spread among more teams.
I think that is already happening again with the transfer portal...Hunter Johnson being a prime example.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2019, 2:05 PM

Should have used another example beside Hunter Johnson as he transferred under the old rules. Tavian Feaster or Shaq Smith would be better examples.

May 16, 2019, 2:16 PM

I don't see these transfers as really being different. I know Johnson had to sit for a year, but wouldn't he under this rule as well unless he had already graduated? We saw players in a similar situation as Feaster and Smith transfer all the time under the old rules. I'm really failing to see what all the fuss is about.

It's definitely a bad thing when the Transfer Portal gets

May 16, 2019, 12:57 PM

inflamed.

Signed,

Francis Marion®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: It's definitely a bad thing when the Transfer Portal gets

May 16, 2019, 1:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I am concerned that the Transfer Portal is a very bad thing for many reasons but

May 16, 2019, 12:59 PM

This seems like a very fan sided opinion that gets thrown around a lot. The tough thing is that these kids only have 5 years max to make a name for themselves, and put themselves in the national eye. For some of these kids, making the NFL is all or nothing for them and their families. Feaster is the perfect example, and I know this isn't necessarily who you're referring to, but he has potentially the number one running back for the 2020 draft in front of him. Who are we as fans to question the decisions of these kids. I guess my point is, its a little reckless to assume these kids are leaving just because they aren't handed the starting spot. It's not that black and white.

Re: I am concerned that the Transfer Portal is a very bad thing for many reasons but

May 16, 2019, 1:46 PM

Many disagree with my points of view but I believe coaches have lost a measure of discipline with the players now that transferring out is so easy. Take Dion Cane as an example. If he could have entered the portal rather than sit out a year and then earn his way back on the team I think DC could have been the big loser if he had wiggled out of his discipline. You now have to worry about kids providing important team information with their new school. I wonder with the ease of transfers will keep teams be able to build those bonds like Clemson has been so successful doing with Dabo and his staff.

How many players from this years team will play in the NFL. 8 to 10 players out of 85 plus players. If anything maybe they should allow kids to make more official visits and interact with coaches more before they sign the NLI.

I spoke with a friend who is also an Asst AD at one of our University. He sees things differently than some of you. He feels college sports is on the verge of financial hardship. He feels pro sports is reaching its point where these big contracts are not sustainable. He feels college sports is heading in the same direction. There are schools who spent a lot of money upgrading facilities, now these same schools are having trouble maintaining those new facilities much less upgrading or building new facilities to keep up with the Clemson’s, Bama’s and OSU.

I am all in for the kids but they need boundaries, rules and restrictions. They must learn to live with decisions they make. Then make the best of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2019, 2:13 PM

Both the NFL and college football are bringing in record revenue. Some college programs will certainly not spend their money wisely, but that isn't the same as some sort of doom for the sport IMO.

May 16, 2019, 5:13 PM

I think its a good thing. Good for them of they want to move on.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic