Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney trumps Saban on transfers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Swinney trumps Saban on transfers

May 30, 2018, 6:19 AM

Saban is taking heat for blocking the transfer of players
to other SEC schools:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23642662/alabama-coach-nick-saban-tired-taking-heat-blocking-transfers-sec

while Swinney is letting Belk and Johnson transfer to
wherever and could end up at SC and Duke respectively
and share information about the playbook, schemes, etc.
Seems to show that he cares more about them as a person
than as just a player.

Saban is claiming an SEC rule prevents the transfer to
another SEC school, but if i'm reading it right, he could
sign a waiver to allow it. The NCAA may address this soon,
but hope they don't change the sit out year for undergrads
as this would lead to a sort of free agency and ruin cfb.

Coaches are allowed to change schools without restrictions
(i.e. Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt). Seems a double standard.
I might add that Saban himself broke a contract with the
Dolphins (though an NFL team) even after saying he wasn't
in order to take the job at Alabama. Kinda reeks of hypocrisy.
Maybe i'm reading too many comment sections after articles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney trumps Saban on transfers

May 30, 2018, 6:50 AM

Saban has a valid point, we don't need free agency in CFB. If they do change the rules, Alabama will have the advantage. They have a gang of relentless recruiters who will pull players from top programs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2018, 7:04 AM

Saban and Alabama stand to lose. 5 stars that don’t start will be tempted to transfer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Free Agency in the professional leagues

May 30, 2018, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney trumps Saban on transfers ]

Has typically ended the dynasty team as we used to know it by spreading the talent more equally. You'll never see another NFL team with a Joe Montana and a Steve Young on roster together for so many seasons.

Saban knows that free player movement would hurt his dynasty far more than it would help it. You wouldn't have 4 and 5 star players willing to be career backups. If they didn't play by their 1st year in some cases and second year in most, they'd more on the where they could play immediately. This would take away the advantages of the recruiting powers which is their depth of quality players. The cream would rise to be a starter somewhere, rather than a backup at a national power.

Honestly I'm fine with doing away with the waiting period and transfer restrictions. I think the NCAA could make a better case if they were offering multi-year scholarships, but since they are only offering one year there shouldn't be any reason penalize the athlete.

May 31, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney trumps Saban on transfers ]

Agree 100%. If there aren't restriction, recruiting will never end. Players will be tampered with. They'll threaten to leave programs if they don't get their way. Rosters will be in flux which will make building a program a lot harder.

Saban

May 30, 2018, 7:03 AM

Hypocrisy and whining...has those two traits down pat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We all knew Dabo was a better man that Saban.

May 30, 2018, 7:28 AM

When Saban retires Dabo will be so lonely at the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2018, 7:57 AM

Sorry I stand with Saban on this one.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's some truth

May 30, 2018, 8:14 AM

To Saban's points; however, the game is changing. It's best to acknowledge reality than impose hard and fast rules that, in most all instances, result in unintended consequences. In my opinion, alone, Saban's more concerned with winning Nattys and his legacy...the integrity of the game, not so much. And let's face facts: there's a bloody good chance we'll scarcely recognize the game within ten years. So, how best to preserve the game begins with noting arcane rules and inflexibility and go from there. If there are concerns with intra-conference 'poaching', not only have the player sit the required year (even if he's a grad), and reduce the 'winning' program by an additional scholarship while that player is enrolled. That will at least make a program/coach think long and hard about the value to be received.

May 30, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney trumps Saban on transfers ]

Me too. Doesn’t have a thing to do with caring or not caring about players. It’s a business and maybe not the way you should look at it but you got to protect your own house sometimes.

Otherwise you’re going to create a chaotic mess where recruiting won’t end after a loi is signed - if not it’s a worthless piece of paper.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't blame him one bit for not allowing his players to

May 30, 2018, 8:07 AM

transfer to another school in conference or a an OOC school on a future schedule. He is not recruiting for them. I thought that was pretty much the norm everywhere. Doesn't have anything to do with this I care about the player more than you so I'm a better person crap.

A thought for fun..

May 30, 2018, 8:26 AM

make a player who transfers within a year of recruitment pay a fine (or maybe the school he later attends) due to the high cost of recruiting him originally.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2018, 9:25 AM

Players transfer all the time from every program out there. I agree with the sit out a year rule but imo a player should be able to chose where he transfers to without restrictions. Both Spurrier and Muschamp never blocked a player from transferring to the program of there choice. Dabo just did the same thing with Belk, which I think was a classy move on his part.

May 30, 2018, 9:41 AM

Mighty easy for a gamecock fan to say when your transfers are going to D2 schools. Face it, as the last stop down the line, USC only stands to gain from transfers going wherever they want, especially in this state where your rival is pinning your ears back in every way on the football field.

May 30, 2018, 10:30 PM

Never Again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree NCAA needs to leave transfer penalties alone!

May 30, 2018, 9:49 AM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMHO, the rule should be...

May 30, 2018, 10:05 AM

(1) If a head coach is fired/resigns/leaves a player should be able to transfer wherever he is wanted, immediately.

(2) A head coach must sit out one year if he wants to move within the same conference unless given a waiver or is fired.

(3) A player who earns a degree can transfer to wherever he is wanted, immediately.

(4) A player must sit out one year if he wants to move within the same conference unless given a waiver.

There are 252 college football teams (128 FBS, 124 FCS) meaning there are plenty of other colleges to go to that are out of conference.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing today holds anyone accountable for their actions . .

May 30, 2018, 11:56 PM

the college transfers are just another in the long list of things that are tearing down integrity in the world today.

Integrity

May 31, 2018, 9:42 AM

Is being torn down by transfer rules? But UNCheat pretending it's a University is ok? No integrity compromised there...whatsoever? Apparently the NCAA agrees, so...

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic