Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Computer/Kindle question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Computer/Kindle question

May 13, 2012, 8:16 PM

Got my wife a Kindle for Mother's Day. We are trying to connect it to our Wi-Fi network to start using it. Not very good with tech stuff - where do I find that password on my computer? I found the router password & the network security key, and neither of those works. Thanks in advance!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you using a rental router? Most internet providers use

May 13, 2012, 8:20 PM

the serial number of the router as your default password...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you using a rental router? Most internet providers use

May 13, 2012, 8:25 PM

We bought a Linksys router. I will try the serial # on that...

Re: Are you using a rental router? Most internet providers use

May 13, 2012, 8:30 PM

If that doesn't work try pulling up your network on your PC that is the main one where the router is set up...information should come up regarding the username and may give the password to the Linksys device...not an expert but I recall having to do that at one point for a mini laptop to access wireless from my router

It wasn't my router number. Officially stumped...***

May 13, 2012, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Are you using a rental router? Most internet providers use ]

Make sure you entered the router password correctly

May 13, 2012, 8:27 PM

Capitalizations, etc. That should be the one

Serial #, model #, or MAC address?***

May 13, 2012, 8:29 PM

Netgear's do not have a wireless password by default

May 13, 2012, 8:37 PM

The SSID (which is the name of the wireless access point) is typically "netgear" with no wireless security and thus no password.

When you try and connect via wifi to the router what is the name of the network access point you are trying to connect to? Is it stil Netgear? Do you remember setting a password?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel silly for typing all this out on Tigernet...

May 13, 2012, 8:45 PM

If you have Windows 7, you can see the wifi password for a stored network by going to "Network and Sharing Center" (in the Control Panel), then going to "Manage Wireless Networks" (it's on the left)

Find your home wifi network on that list (you can see the name of the network you're connected to by looking at the indicator next to the clock on the bottom right.)

Once you've found your home network, right-click and look at the properties. On the security tab you should see an option to check a box to "show characters" of the "Network security key"

This is your wifi password.

If you have Vista / XP, I don't think there is a way to view the password of the stored network. You will have to go into your routers settins

Found network security key, still won't...

May 13, 2012, 8:54 PM

...let Kindle connect to WiFi. Do I need to change any security settings? Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Computer/Kindle question

May 13, 2012, 8:52 PM

a couple of things:
- try looking underneath the modem (not the linksys router) and they usually have the code on the label.
- the code CAN BE CHANGED, so that might require that you reset the modem (try something like 192.168.1.254 to gain access to the modem. Once signed on to the modem, you can re-configure it. Too complicated to explain here).

good luck

Re: Computer/Kindle question

May 13, 2012, 8:53 PM

one more thing. Sometimes the code is actually written somewhere in the manuals/documentation that the ISP leaves with you. Maybe look thru all that.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic