Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This WAS NOT supposed to be a rebuild from the OP regime.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

This WAS NOT supposed to be a rebuild from the OP regime.

Mar 14, 2017, 9:29 AM

I thought OP did a good job here. But when he resigned, I was OK because I felt he took it as far as he could, and it was time to pass the baton to someone new to take us even farther. So I was very excited to see what Brad could do to take Clemson's basketball program beyond where OP took it.

"One of the things that attracted me to the Clemson job was, as soon as I was preparing for this interview, I immediately looked at the roster to see who is coming back, what do they have, are the guys any good, what have they done in the past. Obviously it didn't take me long. I knew they had been in the tournament and they have good players in the program. So to come into a situation that is not completely broken - one where you aren't asked to be a magician and fix it - is truly exciting for a young coach like me."- Brad Brownell hiring press conference

Fast forward 7 years later and he simply hasn't gotten the job done. He's taken a program that he said himself wasn't broken, and hasn't taken it to higher heights. He did not and has not built on the success his predecessor had. There's no disputing that. I love Clemson University basketball too much to be silent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time

Mar 14, 2017, 9:38 AM

And instead of carrying on that momentum, we hired a high school coach with a basketball strategy that only upward bound church leagues would love.

Revisionist thinking

Mar 14, 2017, 9:40 AM

I'm not arguing for Brownell to be retained, or arguing that he is an incredible coach, but it is revisionist thinking to say the hire amounted to hiring a "high school coach." It was a well respected hire and appeared to be a good get at the time.

Of course it hasn't panned out like we wanted, but lets not pretend it was a dumb hire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He can only win big with others talent

Mar 14, 2017, 9:50 AM

3 of his 4 NCAA appearances were all in his 1st year at the respective program. He was 83-40 at UNC-W and 84-45 at Wright St. Very mediocre hire. He's only lost in single digits twice in his whole career.... That's not good when 8 of those years are extremely low mid majors. Horrible hire of a unproven coach.

Dabo was an unproven coach. Brownell was viewed by most

Mar 14, 2017, 10:13 AM

as a respectable hire for us. To say otherwise is untrue. I

Indeed

Mar 14, 2017, 10:26 AM

I wasn't going to go there, but Dabo was seen as a MUCH riskier hire.

No one thought Brownell was a definitive "knock it out of the park" hire, but it was seen as a good get. He had a good bit of experience and was getting looks from other programs on our level.

It didn't (or hasn't yet) panned out, but it was not seen as a bad hire.

Someone below likened it to the Muschamp hiring at USC, and I'd argue there's a a critical difference in that Muschamp had already not gotten it done at the major conference level, and Brownell was seen as a guy who was ready to get his shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo was an unproven coach. Brownell was viewed by most

Mar 14, 2017, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Dabo was an unproven coach. Brownell was viewed by most ]

In whose eyes? We knew when we hired Brownell that he was not a great recruiter at UNCW. He was more known for his defense. Why would the administration believe that Brownell could sell top recruits to come to Clemson if he could not at UNCW.

Re: Dabo was an unproven coach. Brownell was viewed by most

Mar 14, 2017, 12:27 PM

Well Rick Barnes and Brad Stevens both said it was a good hire. Their basketball knowledge doesn't touch the level yours is at though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true. The hiring as Brownell was viewed as a good

Mar 14, 2017, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Revisionist thinking ]

move, and I think it came right about the time Wake hired Bzdelik. I remember thinking that times sure had changed when Clemson was making better basketball hires than Wake Forest. But Brownell hasn't done the job, and that's indisputable.

Re: Revisionist thinking

Mar 14, 2017, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Revisionist thinking ]

High school coach might be an unfair label for Brownell. Lower mid major coach might be the better term. He was the wrong hire. We could have done better.

Re: OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time

Mar 14, 2017, 10:11 AM [ in reply to OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time ]

> And instead of carrying on that momentum, we hired a
> high school coach with a basketball strategy that
> only upward bound church leagues would love.

OP was never one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time.

Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.***

Mar 14, 2017, 10:12 AM

Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.***

Mar 14, 2017, 10:19 AM

Tates Locke

Bill Foster

Rick Barnes

Cliff Ellis

Press Maravich

Locke was a cheater; Maravich's record was 55-96.

Mar 14, 2017, 10:23 AM

What are you talking about?

You put Maravich, a guy with a 55-96 record at Clemson,

Mar 14, 2017, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.*** ]

on your list of all-time greats?

Foster made ONE NCAA TOURNAMENT!!!***

Mar 14, 2017, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.*** ]

Purnell had more success than Ellis. The only one better

Mar 14, 2017, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.*** ]

is Barnes, and he wasn't here as long.

Your list is terrible.

Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.***

Mar 14, 2017, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.*** ]

Ellis won the only regular season ACC title in Clemson history. Barnes was a great coach but realized that the big 12 was easier. OPs style was fun to watch and gave us a national respect. ESPN game day actually came to Clemson for basketball. Bill Foster took us to the elite 8. What has Brownell done to match these coaches accomplishments?

Two times, in our history. Only 2 times.

Mar 14, 2017, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Name the greatest Clemson basketball coaches of all time.*** ]

Have we made the ACC tourney final. (#### we suck)

OP made it in '08, off hand don't know who the coach was when we made in 196-whatever.

"Greatest Clemson BBall coaches" is akin to "Great So Car football teams" It's not a very prestigious list, and yes, OP is on it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2017, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time ]

Purnell's teams played hard on defense but he (like Brownell) couldn't coach offense a lick. I'd say Barnes was the best all around coach we ever had. We can talk forever about how we would like to upgrade Clemson basketball but it seems DRad has his man & he's not going anywhere for awhile.

Purnell couldn't coach a lick? What are you talking about?

Mar 14, 2017, 11:18 AM

He won at Radford, Dayton, Old Dominion, and Clemson. He had a system, and he recruited players to run that system. He had mammoth wins over Duke and UNC here. He took us to the ACC Finals and three straight NCAA tourneys.

If you think he couldn't coach, then you just don't know what coaching looks like.

Mar 14, 2017, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time ]

Unfortunately for Clemson basketball, Drad cant see past his mistaken support of Brownell.

Mar 14, 2017, 10:12 AM [ in reply to OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time ]

Was Brownell the first choice? In a way he was like Muschamp at Carolina. We got desperate and made a bad hire.

I'm not defending the job that Brownell has done here--

Mar 14, 2017, 10:16 AM

he needs to go.

But here's how it was reported at the time:

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article14383019.html

I think it came down to Brownell and Stansbury, who

Mar 14, 2017, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: OP was one of the greatest Clemson BB coaches of all time ]

decided to stay at MSU.

Re: I think it came down to Brownell and Stansbury, who

Mar 14, 2017, 11:23 AM

I knew there was another one in the mix.

Looking back on it, I think TDP went after the anti-OP

Mar 14, 2017, 12:18 PM

I think Purnell's departure caught TDP off guard and it ticked him off. He went after someone with a totally different philosophy than OP in BB. It would be similar to DRad hiring Paul Johnson to replace Dabo. It was a gamble that has to this point backfired.

I do think the next coach we hire (whenever that is) should have some of the similar traits that OP had, with frenetic defense and athletes that can get up and down the floor. Why? Because our state isn't a basketball purists state. This isn't Indiana, where we are well versed in that style of play. I think our fans here respond better to organized chaos (block shots, steals and dunks) and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe we find a guy who can be a blend of OP's style, but knows when to pull back and conserve energy as well.

A very reasonable post.***

Mar 14, 2017, 12:43 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic