Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Former Oregon Duck player tell fans to bleep themselves
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Former Oregon Duck player tell fans to bleep themselves

Oct 30, 2013, 6:23 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/10/30/Former-Oregon-Football-Player-Tells-Fans-to-Go-Bleep-Yourselves-Says-Football-Players-Felt-Like-Slaves

A former Oregon player ripped the school's rabid fans and said he felt Oregon football players were treated like "slaves" and "####### [racial slur]." Autzen Stadium is arguably the fiercest place to play in college football, and it appears Oregon fans can be as vicious to their own as they have notoriously been to opposing players.

The player sent in the letter to the Oregonian titled, "I Love The Ducks. I Hate Duck Fans." The Oregonian reportedly has another letter from another player that is signed. Here are excerpts from the letter:

[...]

My friend and I took our seats where I soon became acquainted with the most ignorant people in all of college football. Directly behind me were a couple of drunk (expletive) who criticized Marcus' ability to throw the football, DeAnthony's ability to run the football, the lineman's ability block, and the coach's ability to analyze film and call plays. After hearing so much ignorant (expletive), I turned around to tell the "fans" to chill the (expletive) out. Marcus had overthrown a receiver on a tough play and the spectator made comment, "Hey, Marcus! Throw it inbounds, #######!" in, which I finally had enough, and turned around and asked if he would like to get down there and take Marcus' place. The man responded, "No". Then I asked if we were all still rooting for Oregon, in which he responded in an aggressive, irrelevant and incoherent manner and so I decided to discontinue the conversation I had started with him.

I was then verbally attacked by other spectators saying, "you need to keep your (expletive) mouth shut, because you don't know (expletive) about football." They claimed that I didn't know that they had coached college football, and that I had no idea what I was talking about. Ironic to say the least, considering my background and what you know of me, what my old teammates know of me, and what my old coaches know of me.

Not too long after, a woman a couple seats down yelled for 10 minutes straight about how the players were playing like "(expletive)". The coaches were being "(expletive)". The refs were being "(expletive)". All during the time I was telling my friend how embarrassing it was to have her on our side. And then I started hearing laughter from the surrounding crowd and encouragement of that behavior. Is this really what goes on in the stands? Is this really the type of people we attract???

I remember walking in from fall camp practice and talking to my teammates about how similar our lives were to the TV series Spartacus. We were slaves. We were paid enough to live, eat, and train... And nothing more. We went out on the field where we were broken down physically and mentally every day, only to wake up and do it again on the next. On the outside, spectators placed bets and objectified us. They put us on pedestals and worshipped us for a short time, but only as long as we were winning. In the end, we were just a bunch of ####### (racial slur) for the owners to whip, and the rich to bet on.

What I described is a business, I know. It's how it works, and it is something we understand as athletes entering the system, as (expletive) up as it is. For many people entering that system, it's better than what life has to offer elsewhere. So they take it. But having been on the outside now, to witness this disgusting display of "support", I know that I want no (expletive) part of it. I will never attend a duck game as a spectator again. I am disgusted by duck fans and I will sit back and observe from afar with high hopes for the player's success and understanding of their sacrifice, without having to hear the spoiled woes of ignorant fans.

I will always love the ducks: my coaches, my teammates, my brothers and family. The rest... Go (expletive) yourselves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds the way a lot of Clemson fans were during the...

Oct 30, 2013, 6:26 PM

game against FSU. Fans of every team are becoming increasingly idiotic, and can't understand it's just a game played by college kids.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you sure this wasn't an article on Tigernet Dumpers?***

Oct 30, 2013, 6:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Former Oregon Duck player tell fans to bleep themselves

Oct 30, 2013, 6:31 PM

I get pretty tired of hearing these guys whine about not getting paid. They are getting a first class education worth probably around $100,000, and a shot at going on to the NFL to make millions. Pretty sure slaves and gladiators didn't get a chance at a great education and the possibility of making millions of dollars. Pretty sure slaves and gladiators didn't get all kinds of swag from playing a game and the chance to walk around campus for four years looking like a hero. No one is making these guys play the sport. If they don't like the terms and conditions of college football they can always join the military if they want to go to college.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2013, 7:00 PM

So, fans get to gripe, complain, show their butts, and bad mouth everything that has something to do with a program, but in your estimation if players don't like the way certain things are then they should shut up or go join the military.
Well that's an intelligent and equitable way to look at things... Not

Oct 30, 2013, 7:13 PM

The players can say what they want, this is America, but that doesn't mean I don't get tired of hearing how they are slaves and gladiators. This guy was given a huge opportunity, and instead of embracing it, he spits on it by saying he is treated like a ###### and a slave. I guarantee you any slave would take that young mans life over what they had to endure. He was given a huge opportunity, and no one made him take it, he decided that was what was right for him.

I said the military is always an option if they want to go to college but don't want to play football. Hell, I didn't have the opportunity to go to college after HS because my family couldn't have afforded it, so I joined the Army. I was torn down mentally and physically regularly, I wasn't given much more pay than was needed for basic living, I was put in harms way, and yet instead of complaining about it, I am proud of what I did, and just like the football players, it was my choice to do what I did.

I get tired of hearing fans act like ######## in the stands too. I agree with him on that aspect. People need to realize these are young men who are expected to be students first, and they aren't professionals. I can understand why hearing people disparage his teammates would make him upset, it is the whole thing about complaining about a giant opportunity that he chose to take that gets on my nerves.

Oct 30, 2013, 7:40 PM

I hear where you are coming from and agree quite a bit with what you are saying, but as I understand it, this player has remained anonymous. So, you really don't know what kind of opportunity he has been given. Maybe it was his only real offer... maybe he was a walk-on who busted his butt while he paid to be a student only to be shocked to sit in the stands and hear what is said on game day. Does this change anything?
Sports is and has been out of control for a long time. It is sad to see the level of arrogance and idiocy from much of the athletes who play these games and it is sad to see the arrogance and idiocy from many of the so-called fans. People derive so much of their worth based on their affiliation with an athletic team, and they act like babies when things don't go their way: crying, whining, cursing, moaning, groaning, and pretending to have all the answers.
Truth is, there's so much suspended reality involved, that it's hard to respect most on either side.
Just my two cents...

Note: I had a very similar experience sitting in the stands when I was done playing while we were taking one on the chin from Virginia Tech around '97 at home. I actually just sat there in the stands until everyone had pretty much left because I was so angry with how these "fans" had bad-mouthed and dog cussed my teammates and coaches. When I went back for a 10 year bowl anniversary, I was actually embarrassed for the recruits at the game and was thinking to myself, "why would any kid sign at a school where the fans talk this poorly about players and coaches." It is what it is I guess...

Oct 30, 2013, 7:51 PM

+1

Lots of good points in your post.

Quack.***

Oct 30, 2013, 6:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Quack.- Dabo said stop quackin

Oct 30, 2013, 6:39 PM

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2013, 7:02 PM

Almost posted this here myself. This player goes a little far, but I agree with the vast majority of what he says.

Oct 30, 2013, 7:31 PM

That's what caught me too.
I understand how he thinks the fans' behavior was stilted, but drifted into the unfounded and sweeping pay-to-play argument just crapped all over his premise.

If a kid's that great, he should train for the combine. There's no rule that says one HAS to accept the torture and indignity of room, board, books, stipends, insane admissions waivers, tutoring, "flexible" grading and attendance, access to state of the art equipment and training, and unparalleled exposure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's face it, about many players...

Oct 30, 2013, 7:49 PM

I too, am sick of many players whining about not getting paid.

Let's face it, how many would have gotten into their school like the rest of the students?

How many really had the grades and once there, could really stay in school on their own?

No one said they had to accept the scholarship.

Deal with it, you accepted it, so deal with it!

Oct 30, 2013, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Former Oregon Duck player tell fans to bleep themselves ]

You have to be invited to,the combine - something that won't happen if you opt out if the college experience.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2013, 9:49 AM

Nah. Go "minor league" or "semipro", or just keep working out and putting your name out there.
Look at Eric Swann. Dude couldn't even get a 700 on his SAT (yes, that's the waiver NC State offered him. 700. The average enrolling freshman at Clemson or NC State has an SAT of like 1200+).
Swann went "Semi pro" somewhere in MA, got paid about $5 an hour. Got an invite to tryout for the NFL.

So yeah, if one doesn't want schools bending over backwards just to help him with his career chances (wouldn't want to risk being enslaved!), there's definitely another path.

The whining is BS.

Oct 30, 2013, 9:23 PM

AWWW! Poor poor baby! This is about as idiotic as Spike Lee claiming that Lebron James was a modern day "slave". I guess that's what America's been reduced to; playing the race card every time something doesn't go your way. If you hate it that bad, move some where that actually still has slavery, like Saudi Arabia maybe? What a nation of delusional whiners. Not a surprise to read this from some chowder head that was indoctrinat....oops...meant to say educated at a liberal West Coast institute of higher brain washing.

Oct 31, 2013, 9:50 AM

Where the heck did race get mentioned?!

The player mentions that they were treated like "slaves and

Oct 31, 2013, 10:07 AM

####### (racial slur)" repeatedly

I've got news for that gentleman: those types of fans have

Oct 31, 2013, 7:01 AM

been around every program since the invention of the game.

And Clemson is no different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this guy would know...he's been around since the

Oct 31, 2013, 8:09 AM

invention of the game ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

How old is Hartins?***

Oct 31, 2013, 8:20 AM

null

Not sure exactly but I remember him mentioning that he

Oct 31, 2013, 8:32 AM

helped Abe edit the Gettysburg Address hth

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So in other words, dirt's younger than he is....***

Oct 31, 2013, 8:33 AM

null

Ya'll ain't no fun no more.

Oct 31, 2013, 10:03 AM

You capitalize on hartin's age without compensating him for the soft tosses he provides.

Youth really is wasted on the young.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't need an ex-football player to tell me that.

Oct 31, 2013, 9:57 AM

I get that kind of attitude from my ex-wife all the time.

I wonder if it has something to do with being an ex?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic