Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's Legacy at Clemson......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Dabo's Legacy at Clemson......

Dec 20, 2014, 4:16 PM

in my opinion already #3 on list of most successful coaches in Clemson history with Ford and Howard currently #1 & #2....Will need to keep being successful for at least a while longer (and achieving a winning record against the coots)......probably will need to win a national championship to jump to # 1 on my list.....WHAT YOU SAY???????????? Go Tigers!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ford , Dabo***

Dec 20, 2014, 4:30 PM

I would put Howard 1.

Dec 20, 2014, 5:33 PM

He had one of the biggest influences on college football with the concept of a non-alumni booster club (IPTAY was the first of its kind kind I do believe), the rock, the running of the hill. He was a great coach and visionary. Everyone is also leaving out Heisman, by the way.

Heisman won 19 games, that's not legacy***

Dec 20, 2014, 8:17 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heisman won 19 games, that's not legacy***

Dec 20, 2014, 8:32 PM

Proud that Heisman was a coach at Clemson, however he is known, primarily as a GT coach.

I like that Howard, Ford, and Dabo (to date) are known as Clemson coaches.

spurrier will be known as a FL coach for his inability to win championships at scar...They are hanging a banner of a coach who will be known for coaching at another school.

A Clemson Legacy is earned by a Clemson coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marlborocountycapon = tigerfanjack = Clemson_Alumnus

Dec 21, 2014, 12:46 AM [ in reply to I would put Howard 1. ]

#9 to steveport 35-17 66-42-4

While Howard had an everlasting effect on Clemson

Dec 21, 2014, 3:25 PM [ in reply to I would put Howard 1. ]

IPTAY was founded under Jess Neely.

Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson......

Dec 20, 2014, 4:54 PM

without Howard...I don't think we'd be talking about Ford or Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2014, 5:24 PM

He's amassing a ton of talent .We should be able to make a playoff run soon. His legacy stay tuned.

Dec 20, 2014, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

> without Howard...I don't think we'd be talking about
> Ford or Dabo.

Amen to that. Without Howard, the tradition of rubbing the rock and storming down the hill into battle wouldn't exist. He laid the foundation of a winning tradition and instilled fear into opposing teams that ventured into Death Valley because of the most exciting 25 seconds in college football.

The legacy that Howard left in Clemson can never be toppled because Howard is still a part of each Clemson home game and will always be. Rubbing Howard's rock is Howards way of having an imprint on each and every Clemson game. Not many can say that they have had an impact on a program in that manner.

Dabo is number 3, right behind Ford on my personal list. Dabo is closing in...and fast.

Dec 20, 2014, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

Agree, even though he did not win a NC, Howard was successful at Clemson for a very long time and the only way I think he can be jumped & replaced in the top two is for Dabo to either stay around as long as Howard (very doubtful in today's coaching world) or win a NC....Go Tigers!!!!!

Agreed. Without Frank Howard Clemson may

Dec 20, 2014, 5:48 PM

have gone the Wake or FCS-style route with football, along with the rest of our sports. For a small school at the time he instituted and demanded a strong emphasis on competitive inter-collegiate athletics. What else is an 80,000 + stadium doing in the middle of such a small environment today?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2014, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

But in my opinion Dabo is definitely already in top 3 and has a good chance to move up if he stays around long enough and keeps winning....Go Tigers!!!!

Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is

Dec 20, 2014, 6:15 PM

Jess Neely.

'course, I wasn't around for those 2.....I think Apex was though!...:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is

Dec 20, 2014, 6:26 PM

Heisman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is

Dec 20, 2014, 6:33 PM

> Heisman.

Heisman just passed through here my friend...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jess Neeley ... without him, no Frank Howard.

Dec 20, 2014, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is ]

Winning the 1939 Cotton Bowl catapulted Clemson into the national consciousness and then leaving for Rice elevated Frank Howard into legendary status.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heisman won 19 games total at Clemson

Dec 20, 2014, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is ]

Dabo wins that many every two years.

Re: Heisman won 19 games total at Clemson

Dec 21, 2014, 7:32 PM

Heisman is definitely a legacy just not at Clemson....was not there long enough....Go Tigers!!!!!

Heck, Charley Pell had nearly as many wins as Heisman...

Dec 21, 2014, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Boy, John Heisman's getting no love at all....nor is ]

...if he had hung around for the Gator Bowl, they'd be tied.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heisman ... great name to have in our coaching history, but

Dec 21, 2014, 9:17 AM

as other's have pointed out, his tenure while notable, was extremely short.

Still, one can't help but wonder where Clemson would rank in the pantheon of college football today if John Heisman had grown the Tiger program for 20 or so years like he did at Georgia Tech.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you really have to bring up that skunk, Charlie Pell?***

Dec 21, 2014, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Heck, Charley Pell had nearly as many wins as Heisman... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2014, 6:32 PM

Frank Howard actually had a losing record against USC in a time when they were not even close to as good as they are now. The first year USC ever won 8 games was 1979 and they did not win their first bowl game until 1994. Dabo is doing a great job and the USC record improve. We paid for the 12 person recruiting class in terms of depth and players we should have had (Holleman, Gilmore).

Dec 20, 2014, 6:33 PM

Do you know what Howard's winning % was?

look that up ;)

Dec 20, 2014, 6:41 PM

13-15-2 against USC. 165-118-12 overall

Dec 20, 2014, 6:55 PM

You're leaving out one important fact about Howard and the coots won/lost record. The Tigers played in Columbia to 1959. I was there for that last game but I celebrated too much.

If they had been playing home & home, his record would have been lot better. Just like Ga tech. All games were there until 1974. Howard IS #1. IMO

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken

Dec 20, 2014, 7:37 PM

Good point.

Dec 20, 2014, 8:40 PM

Dabo still has a long time to make his ultimate mark on the program. Howard and Ford both brought Clemson up relative to the times in which they operated. Ford (and Pell actually) brought the program up from mediocre to great and we thrive on what was accomplished then to this day. Yes Dabo still stands on Ford's shoulders and always will to some degree.

The times were just different back in Howard's day. Clemson had the good fortune to be located close to the Greenville and Spartanburg business zone. In the late 50s and 60s, you had visionaries like Charlie Daniel and Roger Milliken almost single handedly transforming the upstate from a blue collar mill town to a professional high wage metroplex.

Clemson was perfectly situated geographically and programmatically to feed to and from this transformation. This is exactly what Frank Howard was able to draw on with IPTAY. Without this new economic and population base, I do not believe Clemson would be thriving as it has been the last 40 years or so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has always fought an up hill battle due to its location.

Dec 21, 2014, 7:27 AM

We would have a ton of National Championships if we had the recruiting base of Tallahassee or the deep pockets of Ann Arbor.

Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM

I'm very happy for him that Dabo has a long term contract at Clemson. Most all Clemson football fans feel the same way, I'm sure. But let's be realistic and look at the facts. Dabo has won 1 ACC Championship in 6.5 years at the helm. Howard and Ford each averaged an ACC title for every 3 years or less. In those days, a conference title meant a better bowl, more money in the athletic coffers, and more TV exposure, which was very limited in those days. Now, it's the only gateway to the National Championship playoff. It's not like Dabo hasn't recruited superior talent. I've never seen a better recruiter as a head coach. Yes, he's won more games several seasons, but teams play more games than they did in the Ford/Howard years. He does say all of the right things that Tiger fans love to hear. He's "all in", "his blood runs orange", "no place I'd rather be", so he's beloved by the orange masses. Good for him, he's a great salesman. Just don't let those emotions get in the way of facts if you're talking about ACC Championship wins, and winning the ACC is the only way Clemson will ever get into the playoff. Dabo has grown as a head coach and is doing a great job, but he is a long way from Howard and Ford in conference titles.

Dec 20, 2014, 10:49 PM

I was just admiring the name , it wasn't my vote .
I would go Danny , Howard and Dabo . National Championship and nasty defense , building of the program for the long haul and multiple win seasons while reestablishing the Clemson brand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Tell 'em coot

Dec 21, 2014, 12:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

#9 to steveport 35-17 66-42-4

The ACC also used to only have 8 teams

Dec 21, 2014, 4:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

And the teams we competed for those conference titles were UNC, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Maryland, and Georgia Tech (starting in 1979). If the conference was still composed of only those teams, I'm sure Dabo would have more than 1 conference title through his first 6 years.

Exactly.

Dec 21, 2014, 9:29 AM

Apples and oranges. If we were going purely off of results I think the order would be: Heisman, Ford, Dabo, Howard.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU wasn't in the league then, either!..***

Dec 21, 2014, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's Legacy at Clemson...... ]

Howard's greatest contribution was his longevity, for he

Dec 21, 2014, 7:00 AM

brought stability to the program along with his public persona and a number of impressive seasons that attracted media attention.

Ford's accomplishments have already been noted. Hatfield and Bowden had reasonably successful stints, but the problem they and others following Ford have faced has been the craving for another NC. Now, Swinney is facing the same measure.

I like our present chief, for he definitely has brought an enthusiasm, as he has learned OTJ, and that enthusiasm has energized the fan base. His great challenge ahead is to mesh the offense and defense into a successful team capable of winning the ACC title while leading us into the playoffs.

Maybe, just maybe, if he hangs around long enough, Dabo Swinney can pull it off, and there's nothing more I'd like to see than dat boy from Bama be successful!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howard's greatest contribution was his longevity, for he

Dec 21, 2014, 7:16 AM

Well said Mr. Hartins and I totally agree , I think William C. Swinney is going to get this football crazy fanbase to the top again. With his recruiting prowess , the relentless pursuit of excellence by his young men on the field and in the classroom , I have zero doubt that his winning ways will only intensify .

DB23

Dec 21, 2014, 7:42 AM

You mean Clemson football existed before Dabo?

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic