Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For us To Beat Duke
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

For us To Beat Duke

Feb 18, 2018, 3:59 PM

or UNC or any of the "bluebloods " we must be at full strength and/or shoot the ball extremely well. We were not and did not today. It is a testament to our team and coaches that we took them to the wire under these circumstances. We have won our share of close games this year. The last 2 did not bounce our way. Hopefully we can get a couple more and a good seeding. And by the way it would help greatly if our inside contested shots we got a call or 2 like they did under the basket ! You might beat UNC or Duke in December and January a few times but they are very difficult to beat in late Feb. and March.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not true at all.

Feb 18, 2018, 4:02 PM

And having that attitude is part of the problem with our fan base.

Posts earlier today made it sound like we had no hope today.

Even without Grantham and Mitchell, and even with poor performances from Reed and DeVoe, we had a chance with under 2 minutes left today. If Reed and/or DeVoe had just made a couple more shots - which still wouldn't have been close to their season averages - we would've won.

Or if you prefer to look at it another way, if we had just not had a few of those crucial turnovers that led to Duke layups, we would've won - even with poor performances from Reed and DeVoe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That's not true at all.

Feb 18, 2018, 4:04 PM

So your post just proved my point .

LOL, I didn't prove your point. I debated it.

Feb 18, 2018, 4:06 PM

You said that "we must be at full strength and/or shoot the ball extremely well" to beat blue bloods like UNC and Duke. I disagree 100%.

My point was that we weren't at full strength, and gave you two scenarios from today's game - without Mitchell and Grantham - that would've resulted in a win for us. Neither involved shooting the ball extremely well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

His point about refs was accurate. I've spent decades

Feb 18, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to That's not true at all. ]

watching this same crap every time we play them, UNC, et al, and it's the same movie. The games are almost always called one-sided and inconsistently. The calls in the paint were COMPLETELY different under our basket vs theirs. Would it have changed the outcome? Maybe, maybe not, but it would be nice to not have to always be skateboarding uphill when we play them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the officiating was horrible as well.

Feb 18, 2018, 4:08 PM

I'm not debating that, but I am debating the fact that we have to play a perfect game and be at full strength to win.

Even without Grantham and Mitchell, and without Reed and DeVoe playing well, we still would've won if we had had just a few less turnovers or Reed or DeVoe hit a few more shots. They still could've shot well below their season averages and we would've won.

Re: For us To Beat Duke

Feb 18, 2018, 5:15 PM

I don't know, Duke is beatable and it has been proven by BC and St. Johns 2 programs with less talent than Clemson. I though Clemson got out coached today. I know the Brownell defenders won't be happy but that is my opinion. I think Brownell is a good X's and O's coach but I don't think he is great by any means. Duke came out and did what you'd expect a team to do against a Tigers team that struggled with press/trap defenses and Duke played Zone on the defensive side to keep everything in front of their eye's to be able to put a hand in the face of the Tigers shooters. I don't think Brownell is great at in game adjustments or what the other team is going to employ to counter what the Tigers are doing. I have said it for 8 years and will continue to say it and that is Clemson needs a recruiter first coach not an X's and O's guy. The name of the game is to win championships and if you can honestly tell me you think Brownell is the guy to do it then I guess I am not talking to you. But don't come on here and give me history lessons or tell me what the Tigers can and can't do because I call bull manure on that. I can promise you this and that is every team that has ever won a championship started somewhere. Not one team was given a championship day 1. Not to long ago nobody would have ever thought Clemson could win a national title in football until they did. It can be done but like football and Dabo is Brownell the right guy for Clemson basketball? After 8 years my answer is no and if the answer is no then you are just prolonging the inevitable. Too me Brownell will never bring Clemson an ACC Championship nor a National one. You can counter my arguments or try and argue with me but it isn't happening that is the way I feel and I'm not changing it no matter who they beat or what they do. Until Clemson can recruit the talent they need to win at a high level an X's and O's guy is the last guy to be here. Now let me say this, if Brownell can change the way he recruits and bring in a big time guy or 2 and then turns that into success and shows other elite guys they can come to Clemson and win and get drafted then maybe we can revisit this conversation but until I see proof of that my mind is made up.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic