Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who you who struggle with critical thinking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 296

For those who you who struggle with critical thinking

Dec 18, 2012, 7:25 PM

and think it is a good idea to require schools to store firearms and require teachers to take weapons traning to protect our schools, I will first start off by saying this will never happen, it is just plain retarded. Think about what you are suggesting.

lets break down the potential costs.

Otherwise talented and well meaning teachers whose primary concern is educating children will be steered away from the teaching profession.

the chances of casualties as a result of millions of guns inside of schools far out weighs the probability of the 5-10 casualties on average that currently happen per year in mass school shootings.

There are better strategies to protect children than to encourage a shootout inside an elementary school. it is an incredibly rare occurrence, There have been only a handful the last decade. The occurrence of fatalities due to the accessibility of firearms to school children are a daily occurrence inside the home.

Find any experienced combat veteran who has dealt with the stress of taking life, as well as the emotional distress involved with having to live with it for the rest of their life. Ask them, what they think about charging School teachers to provide armed support for school children, they will laugh in your face.

Children who are exposed to firearms and the daily threat of an attack will enter adulthood with irrational fears of a violence that is extremely rare. This will only lead to increased future gun violence.

Criminals can break into schools and steal the weapons.

A shooter could take out a teacher and then obtain the teacher's weapon. The teacher is also just as likely to hit a child in a cross fire than they are to kill an armed gunman who will no doubt respond with better fire power and tactical armor in anticipation of an armed response.

Nut jobs will be attracted to the teaching profession, not just educators.

it will costs the states hundreds of millions per year to pay for arms and training(your taxes), money better spent on prevention and mental health services.

A gunman could just as easily hijack a school bus, are you suggesting we should arm School buses too? I think the lot of you wing nuts are not in favor of passing out guns to more government workers.

this would set a precedent that would create a market for school defense industries. Once people find ways to profit off of this, the flood gates will be open.

A gun could be left unlocked, a small child could get a hold of it, and cause harm or even death. The lawsuits that would follow occurrences like this would quickly bankrupt the states.

A teacher could just as easily fly of the handle and go on a shooting spree, remember the lawsuits I talked about?

I could go on and on. It pays to think and not just repeat what you heard on the idiot news channel over your lunch break.

I am not apposed to guns, or their value in society. What I am opposed to is all the mental midgets in society who advocate for more weapons as a solution to our violence problems. But then again, I may just give up and get rich being a part of the problem, just like the people you idolize in politics and businessmen who really do not have our personal interests at heart. For now, I still do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chalk me up as someone

Dec 18, 2012, 7:28 PM

Who thinks that is a truly truly horrible idea.

Now, some sort of police presence? Perhaps, but that still seems like nothing but security theater.

As I've said elsewhere there is simply no simple and easy solution to the problem of violence (be it gun violence or otherwise) in this country.

All sorts of ideas that may help, but anyone suggesting simple solutions isn't seeing the problem clearly, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chalk me up as someone

Dec 18, 2012, 7:30 PM

your kid is about 1000x more likely to dies in a car accident. This notion is absurd and will never happen in our public schools.

There is no solution; however, the government must have

Dec 18, 2012, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Chalk me up as someone ]

something else to waste money on. They've lost the war on drugs. The climate hasn't worked out to well. No it's time to pass more rules and regulations that criminals won't follow anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to have a beer occasionally with an Israeli student

Dec 18, 2012, 8:00 PM

who spent is two mandatory years of army service riding in a school bus with a machine gun. There was/is a clear need for that kind of protection. The teachers, however, were not armed. They did have armed security details for the school, but they were not the educators. The reason teachers were not armed was probably for reasons you stated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one statement struck me."its an incredibly rare occurrence."

Dec 18, 2012, 8:43 PM

So rare that it doesn't warrant training teachers or other school professionals.

However, millions of legal weapons should be outlawed cart Blanche in violation of the Constitution.

Pick one side of your mouth or the other.

It's either so rare nothing should be done or it's so important an issue that all ideas should be investigated.

you are the one lacking the critical thinking, you don't

Dec 19, 2012, 12:09 AM

even understand what people are proposing. There would be no REQUIREMENT for teachers to pack.

The point is it shouldn't be restricted and schools zones shouldn't be "gun free zones", and if there isn't enough permit holders among administrators, principals, assistant principals, and maybe teachers then you need security personnel to complement the existing adults at the school.

If you don't see the absurdity of "gun free zones" then YOU LACK critical thinking.

Re: you are the one lacking the critical thinking, you don't

Dec 19, 2012, 2:15 AM

I am responding to lame brains like rick perry, lost some respect there, and the governor for Tennessee, who are both proposing a mandate to require teachers to both arm themselves and take weapons training. Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds like they are bending over for the gun lobbies.

If such is true, it is a sad day in America for our children to grow up with those irrational fears.

LOL, geez dude you are so full of it

Dec 19, 2012, 5:14 AM

Rick Perry is not proposing a mandate to require teachers to arm themselves.

Making schools gun free zones did not work in CT. The criminal broke the law.

Allowing teachers that hold a CWP to use it where it is needed is just common sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 296
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic