Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who have been to Jamaica, is it the paradise I've always dreamt it would be?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

For those who have been to Jamaica, is it the paradise I've always dreamt it would be?

Jan 27, 2017, 1:09 PM

Tia.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya mon ! Bobsledding and Red Stripe mon!***

Jan 27, 2017, 1:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is a euphemism for grump's crawl space., silly

Jan 27, 2017, 1:12 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet Jamaica is beautiful this time of year and I would probably get more done.

Jan 27, 2017, 1:14 PM

I'll pass on Siberian vacations though.

Yep, Siberia is a lonely lonely place...

Jan 27, 2017, 7:44 PM

d37e6f80a8b85a395bb2cb5706f6ef47
upload images free

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Has anyone ever returned to tell about it?***

Jan 27, 2017, 1:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Really?***

Jan 27, 2017, 1:20 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I had to visit a couple times in 2013z***

Jan 27, 2017, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Has anyone ever returned to tell about it?*** ]

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

Re: For those who have been to Jamaica, is it the paradise I've always dreamt it would be?

Jan 27, 2017, 1:21 PM

Jamaica is very 3rd world away from the nice tourist areas.....And most travel industry folks will tell you to keep to resorts and tourist shopping areas. But Jamaica has its own cultural identity--music, food, etc.,--and if you're not stupid or obnoxious, the local citizenry can be as friendly and nice as people anywhere if you do decide to stray a little from the usual paths

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those who have been to Jamaica, is it the paradise I've always dreamt it would be?

Jan 27, 2017, 5:51 PM

^^ This.

Like Dominican Republic, if you "just stick to the tourist locations & resorts", you'll literally experience zero of what either country has to offer.

I've been to Jamaica 5 times, 3 of those times on cruises where you're literally inundated with touristy excursions off-ship and hounded by "locals" peddling cheap trinkets and souvenirs every step of the way. The other two times, I went off-resort and took in far more of what Jamaica has to offer. Safety should always be paramount, yes, but I've never really been a fan of visiting foreign countries just to hang out at some compound with other Americans. Makes little to no sense to me.

Jan 27, 2017, 1:56 PM

Honeymooned with the ex in 1981. Picture pretty but very poor, even by Carribean standards. Aquamarine water is a wonder if you never saw it before. SC beaches are all stirred up by the Gulf Stream but in Jamaica you can see clearly 100 feet down or more. If you snorkel the fish look like the have swallowed lanterns that throw off dazzling colors. If you go to Ocho Rios river hike Dunn's River Falls, they are rapids a half mile from the ocean, but bath water warm all year. Find the guide named Slim. Me and ex got deceived by another guide and wanted to know his charge in advance. He said "in Jamaica we do not tell you what you can afford." Still suspicious, we took the chance. I was sprawled all over on all fours fighting the rapids but Slim knew the rocks and took ex by the hand and it was Moses parting the waters. When we finished, we said okay, what's the charge but Slim insisted "In Jamaica we do not tell you what you can afford." We end ed up tipping him more than we paid the jerk. Ex took the kids on a cruise a few years ago and Slim is still there.Check the Hibiscus Lodge for dinner if you go there. Oh, and beware Montezuma's revenge. The people on air Jamaica said fear not, our water is treated just like in the US, and it is probably true, but the place is tropical and has all sorts of bugs your system has never encountered. You get a coke with ice or rum kdrink with ice you are drinking whatever is on the ice. Have fun!

went 4 years ago on my honeymoon. it was awesome...

Jan 27, 2017, 2:01 PM

we did as instructed and stayed on the resort (we stayed at Couples Tower Isle... 1/2 the price of Sandals). Had a great time. The ride was 1.5 hours from the airport and, as some others have mentioned, it is very poverty stricken outside of the tourist areas. We only went off of the resort on a guided tour of a waterfall. Off the island, we were hit up multiple times with people asking for money or trying to sell things. The climate is great, weather was perfect, ocean and views were beautiful, and redstripe was free at the airport.

I highly recommend it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Highly recommend Jamaica!

Jan 27, 2017, 2:48 PM

Family vacationed there this past August. Stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall all inclusive resort. Everyone was extremely nice and the entertainment at the resort was great. Extremely poor country, the exchange rate on the dollar was 110 to 1 when we were there.

We made friends with a bellman at the Hilton and he hooked us up with a cab driver for a day as our private tour guide. He took us over to Dunn's River falls and Mystic Mountain. Highly recommend zip lining at Mystic. Had my Clemson shirt on that day and was amazed at how many locals asked me about DW4 and knew about Clemson football. On the way back to the resort he pulled up at this rundown school. It was the school Usain Bolt attended. He is thier hero and they love talking about him.

I could go on but you get the idea. Be smart and careful and you'll love it. We didn't see any issues the places we stayed and visited. Never pay asking price they love to barter. And yes it's beautiful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

paradise I've always dreamt it would be?

Jan 27, 2017, 4:21 PM

I'm s safer than Columbia SC I can tell you that! Been there over a dozen times and headed back in April. Literally like the commercial says "once you go you know". Picturesque water and foliage with very accommodating locals. Do it!

Jan 27, 2017, 4:25 PM

Not sure if meter is getting a false reading..

Guessing your meter is working just fine***

Jan 27, 2017, 5:37 PM

Jan 27, 2017, 5:48 PM

I cant help but laugh at the serious responses.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jan 27, 2017, 6:29 PM

Get the plane ready!

There's a few around who know

Jan 27, 2017, 6:18 PM

and a few that aren't around that never made the trip back. RIPIP youse guys. We know you're watching.

Jan 27, 2017, 6:23 PM

I enjoyed my vacation in Jamaica in 2010, and agree with the descriptions given by other posters. My experience was a little different, as I was traveling with my girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend) who is a Jamaican citizen.

We stayed with her parents in Kingston for a couple of days before heading to an all-inclusive resort in Saint Ann. While in Kingston, we went to the movies, saw a play, and went out for food and drinks.

One thing I found interesting about the movies is that there is an intermission during movies there. The break was long enough for me to enjoy a snack and a Red Stripe on tap from the concession stand. The Red Stripe was far better than what we get here in bottles. I don't remember the name of the play we saw, but I enjoyed it.

If you are a coffee drinker, try some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee if you get a chance. I also recommend looking up Jamaica's rainy season. You might want to avoid that. I went in late spring and it rained quite a bit.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

I went to a nude beach in Jamaica for my honeymoon.

Jan 27, 2017, 6:37 PM

Before the wedding I had gotten my wife's name, Wendy, tattooed down my hang-down and I wanted to show it off. The thing is, if I'm not excited you can only see W-Y.

So anyway, we're hanging out at the bar and this native guy strolls up. Lo and behold, he also has W-Y tattoed on his! So I'm like wow, dude so cool and showed him mine.

I asked him if his wife's name was also Wendy?

He said
No mon, mine says Welcome To Jamaica Mon, Have a Nice Day.

#ACCFTS

"I'm having a friend for dinner"... ;~)***

Jan 27, 2017, 7:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2017, 7:48 PM

Been to Ocho Rios, resorts are beautiful as is Dunn River Falls. If you venture off the resorts it's nothing but poverty and drugs

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic