Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you still on the ACC bandwagon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

For those of you still on the ACC bandwagon

Jan 22, 2013, 5:22 PM

what would it take for you to say "it is time to make a move" 1 team leaving, 2 teams leaving, ...what would it take. Personally, if anyone else leaves I feel like our only option at that point is to get on the phone with FSU, VT, and GT and form the eastern division of the big 12.

What is your line in the sand?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you still on the ACC bandwagon

Jan 22, 2013, 5:24 PM

if others go we need to be in the FIRST BUNCH!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC ACC ACC ACC! Nothing wrong with our adds.

Jan 22, 2013, 5:31 PM

Cuse, Pitt, Louisville have good programs in FB and BB. Not sure about hardball......and don't forget ND.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we should stay in the ACC until we are the last

Jan 22, 2013, 5:31 PM

school left. That would accomplish three things:

1. Prove our loyalty to Swofford and the conference, once and for all.

2. Prove that our Pres and BOT don't make snap judgments based on internet rumors.

3. Guarantee a conference championship every year!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Don't forget all the Millions we would get in exit fees.***

Jan 22, 2013, 5:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point!***

Jan 22, 2013, 5:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It's kinda looking like the Big 12 is the only place to go.

Jan 22, 2013, 5:34 PM

I don't think the ACC will fold. I think the addition of a ND contract in football helped everyone see we are here to stay. We've secured the OB for several years and even tied ND into our bowl contracts. If ND displaces an ACC team in a bowl game then every team in the ACC get a million bucks.

I think we need to let this conference jumping go for at least the first series of the playoff contracts.

If bad comes to worse we should make a move though before the Big 12 finishes a 16 team roundup.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My "line" is a "football school" leaving

Jan 22, 2013, 5:35 PM

MD leaving, no big deal. But if FSU, Va Tech, Ga Tech, or maybe even NCSU or Miami bolt (these I would be less panicked about, but if they move in conjunction with another school I think we should as well), we need to move with lightning speed to abandon ship.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

Re: Ir does not pay to panic.***

Jan 22, 2013, 7:00 PM

The only gamechanger would be FSU.

Jan 22, 2013, 5:37 PM

FSU/Clemson are the backbone of this league now in FB.UMD bolting made the conference better. I just wonder how long you conference envy/jump people are gonna continue to believe all the rumors that originate from BIG 12 sources ? You see they need the unrest because ESPN will not pay for 12 teams much longer while only getting 10.

FSU leaving.***

Jan 22, 2013, 5:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I'm not on it but we don't really have any good options IMHO

Jan 22, 2013, 5:42 PM

at this point....the absolute ONLY way we could make the Big12 work is to go with at least 3 other teams...FSU, GT, Miami, and us. I think the chances of us going together are very remote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not on it but we don't really have any good options IMHO

Jan 22, 2013, 5:46 PM

If WVU can make it work. We can make it work. Bottom line.

Re:Have mercy.***

Jan 22, 2013, 7:01 PM

I don't think it's working for WVU

Jan 22, 2013, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not on it but we don't really have any good options IMHO ]

I think they are praying and hoping every day someone comes along with them. They have left everyone of their rivals behind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What facts are out there to say it is working for WV?***

Jan 22, 2013, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not on it but we don't really have any good options IMHO ]

Re: What facts are out there to say it is working for WV?***

Jan 22, 2013, 11:06 PM

They are relevant and will be in the future. Right now in our conference we are not guaranteed anything. That is where it is working

1. They are getting paid more
2. They are playing solid respected competition
3. They are in a more stable situation

That is working for WVU. Are you referring to the one bad season they had last year playing good competiton?

you mean this stable big 12?

Jan 23, 2013, 11:27 AM

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/big-12-breakup/Content?oid=2630499

Soon as ND joins in fb "our move" will be UCONN.

Jan 22, 2013, 5:47 PM

Think it's obvious to everyone.

Unless the NCAA gives Tennessee another wink wink and exiles Vandy from the SEC for them.

UConn? Not obvious at all.

Jan 22, 2013, 5:55 PM

Certainly an option IF ND joined (if if if if blah blah if). But also worth considering is Navy. ESPECIALLY with Maryland leaving. It puts us back in the DC but this time with a national "brand", AND would give Notre Dame another ACC "rival".

Also worth considering would be Cincy, since we just picked up Louisville. It would help them not feel so "on an island."

null

Uhm, as long as Swoffie is in charge it is.

Jan 22, 2013, 6:02 PM

JS

Then why didn't he take them when Maryland left?

Jan 22, 2013, 6:04 PM

Was he not in charge?

null

Because UL was the hottest on the market and UCONN will be

Jan 22, 2013, 6:08 PM

there for the ACC.

Well, I guess we'll see. ******

Jan 22, 2013, 6:11 PM

null

Re: UConn? Not obvious at all.

Jan 22, 2013, 11:07 PM [ in reply to UConn? Not obvious at all. ]

Uconn and Navy BOTH SUCK out loud in terms of additions. When it gets to this point you know your conference is on life support

If we continue to make about as much or more than our

Jan 22, 2013, 5:49 PM

rival conferences, I say we jet.

Also, if we ever again take less than a week to replace an incompetent school with a school superior in football, basketball and baseball, I've had it.

null

Re: If we continue to make about as much or more than our

Jan 22, 2013, 6:06 PM

do you guys really think the big12 will stay at 10? i think they have to get to 12 or more teams. i understand that they make more money with only 10 teams but they will have to have 12 to have a conf. championship. and i dont think they will stop at 12. who or what schools are out there that are attractive to them? if we get invited and dont go and others in the acc do, imo there are no more conferences that will invite us, which leaves us very vulnerable if the acc gets worse. i just think to stay in the acc is very dangerous, with its apparent instability, and no other apparent conference to go into.

No ACC team needs to go to the Big 12. No ACC team

Jan 22, 2013, 6:11 PM

would benefit from that.

null

I agree and also see room for 5-6 majors in the playoff

Jan 22, 2013, 6:26 PM

system format. SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big 12, PAC whatever, and Mountain West as the possible #6.

The East Coast is definitely: ACC, Big 10,and SEC.

+2 for the aboves Wookie.

Jan 22, 2013, 6:28 PM [ in reply to No ACC team needs to go to the Big 12. No ACC team ]

nm

Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 PM [ in reply to If we continue to make about as much or more than our ]

What about next year and a decade down the road in terms of making what our competition makes?

Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 AM

Based on the latest projections including TV money and BCS deals the ACC will make 30 million and the SEC will make about 35 million. Now 5 million is a lot of money but only 15% of the total money out there. The academic ties the ACC yields are worth 15%.

null

ACC teams whispered to be leaving are all waiting for the

Jan 22, 2013, 6:00 PM

Maryland exit fee case to be settled. We will know shortly after that who else may be leaving.

go ahead and make the phone calls for us

Jan 22, 2013, 6:01 PM

I personally don't have that kind of power

Let's see the Big12 has lost

Jan 22, 2013, 6:02 PM

Texas AM, Mizzo, Colordo, and, Nebraska the ACC lost Maryland and replaced them with a much better program. Why do you keep thinking the Big12 is so great? I for one think the ACC is much better long term than the Big12. If the Pac12 goes to 14 or 16 school they will do do with Big12 schools the Big12 is a house of cards. The ACC isn't going to lose UVA to the Big10 nor is any of the NC schools leaving for Big10 or Big12 so the ACC is safe.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Jan 22, 2013, 6:10 PM

Oh, and short-sightedness and the lack of perspective.

The biggest reasons to leave the ACC given are that we don't want to be the ones turning out the lights and locking the door. IF the rest of the ACC stays together, which is in all of their best interests, then the ACC is fine. If people leave for fear that others will leave...well, that's how you ruin an otherwise good conference.

The other issue is short-sightedness and the lack of perspective. Short-sightedness relating to every new conference contract being a reason to play teams in Iowa every year. These things will level out. Lack of perspective relates to a few million dollars being the difference between being competitive and not being competitive. At some point it's about the school, the environment, the coaches, the relationships...a million different things that you can't buy. Clemson's football program wants for nothing and making $17 million isn't going to make that any different than making $16.5 million.

null

Point and Bingo!

Jan 22, 2013, 6:32 PM

nm

Re: We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Jan 22, 2013, 11:10 PM [ in reply to We have nothing to fear but fear itself. ]

lmfao. I stopped reading at "an otherwise good conference" The ACC is a complete #### stain on the college football world. It isn't because of the top schools. It is because of the Duke, WF, Syracuses of the conference

Yes Palmetto. I'm well aware that you don't like the ACC.***

Jan 23, 2013, 8:37 AM

null

+1 The ACC isn't getting left out like the other conferences

Jan 22, 2013, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Let's see the Big12 has lost ]

are promoting. It's a fear/scare tactic, imo.

Re: Very good points***

Jan 22, 2013, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Let's see the Big12 has lost ]

have we ever lost to scar 5 years in a row?***

Jan 22, 2013, 6:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: have we ever lost to scar 5 years in a row?***

Jan 22, 2013, 7:15 PM

dont now, but know we beat them 63-17.

that we did, charlie coot killa whitehurst, chad jasmin...

Jan 22, 2013, 7:21 PM

wish hamilton had stayed his final year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

does south carolina have the best team they ever had?***

Jan 22, 2013, 11:52 PM [ in reply to have we ever lost to scar 5 years in a row?*** ]

i think so. are you saying we're going to lose 5 in a row?***

Jan 23, 2013, 10:48 AM

I don't think there's much wrong with the ACC that

Jan 22, 2013, 6:26 PM

riding John Swofford out on a rail wouldn't fix!

Seriously, the ACC has Clemson, FSU, Miama, Va Tech, Ga Tech and 5 games with Notre Dame in football. The others rise to the occasion in turn: UNC or NCSU or UVa or.. can have a big year sometimes.

In basketball, UNC & Duke are on TV every minute of every game they play.

Baseball stacks up very well too, as do the olympic sports (soccer, field hockey, lacross, T&F, etc.)

John Swofford is the anchor dragging the conference down, always has been.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think there's much wrong with the ACC that

Jan 22, 2013, 11:17 PM

I guess I can roll with that answer mpercy. The only thing that stinks is that we rarely get to play Miami. Our commissioner gave up the opportunity to keep the conference continuous between states while also giving up a good football program in WVU.

Every year we are having to play WF,Syracuse, and Boston College. Right off the bat we are straddled with these #### programs. The ACC and John Swofford got what they wanted in small private schools. Unfortunately its going to be the death nail of the conference.

Louisville was by far the best addition to date. Awesome job on that pickup. That addition is canceled out by the ### pickup of Syracuse. And don't give me they have tradition crap. Duke had tradition. Doesn't mean I want to go play them on a regular basis. Syracuse is a garbage program (no matter what they did last season). Their facilities suck, their admin sucks, their fans suck. Nothing about them makes me want to see a game in freaking Syracuse, NY

Jan 22, 2013, 6:40 PM

Staying in a strong ACC is the best option for Clemson. It's best for recruiting, academics, and fan travel. Going to the Big 12 is a last resort if FSU and anyone else leaves the ACC.

Re:Stay where we are. That scenario will never play out.***

Jan 22, 2013, 6:58 PM

Jan 22, 2013, 7:00 PM

And what move are you planning on making?
You can make a phone call,sit right down and write yourself a letter,compose an e-mail,send an sos,dispatch a runner,send a message via a carrier pigeon,use mental telethapy,but nothing you will do will work if you are "not invited" to join the Big 12.
They say Travis drew a line in the sand at the Alamo.Maybe he did,maybe he didn't,but as of today ,Jan.22 at 6:58 P.M. there has been no message from the Big 12 saying help is on the way.

Jan 22, 2013, 11:19 PM

Trust me. If any other ACC school leaves a mass exodus will occur and CU will end up in the only spot really available...the Big 12

no body is leaving nowhere. Clemson stays so do others.

Jan 22, 2013, 7:26 PM

nm

Re: no body is leaving nowhere. Clemson stays so do others.

Jan 22, 2013, 11:19 PM

Whats the winning lotto?

to be honest, i don't really care anymore. lol***

Jan 22, 2013, 7:44 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

just wished we would have went after WV let the

Jan 22, 2013, 7:57 PM

cuse go to the big 10

This topic is getting so old

Jan 22, 2013, 10:47 PM

it makes ME feel young !

Re: This topic is getting so old

Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 PM

Cool

Jan 23, 2013, 1:30 AM

I worry some about being left behind but Clemson is Clemson because of our fan base. And in the end the ACC owns the east coast as it is. And when it boils down to TV the east coast runs the show.

Jan 23, 2013, 11:22 AM

If the east coast runs the show then why is our new contract the WORST of the big 5. Just a question. I completely agree with you that the east coast is where the population growth is and the most TV sets. Where is the problem with our money though? If we own the east coast (which we do) then why are we not getting paid for it.

2nd most TV viewers
5th best contract

Your signature is a bit too much

Jan 23, 2013, 11:28 AM

I get that being a donor gives you the right to put up a GIF with a huge filesize as a signature, but it really is a big annoyance on the rest of the board members having to load 10 massive GIFs just to read a thread that you're actively posting in. Crashed my browser twice already because this computer is old.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic