Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 105
| visibility 51

New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it

Feb 25, 2015, 3:53 PM

Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it

Howard’s Rock is more than just a stone - it’s a piece of history that years ago gave an identity to a school and a football program trying to make its way in the land of big boy, southern football. Since the rock was first placed atop the hill, generations of Clemson fans, football players and coaches and even the casual tourist have taken the time to touch it and have a picture or two taken with the rock. Countless memories have been made along the way. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it

Feb 25, 2015, 4:01 PM

Amen!!!!

Rub and touch the rock in the West Zone anyone anytime

Feb 26, 2015, 12:45 AM

March it to the hill on home game days hours before kickoff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rub and touch the rock in the West Zone anyone anytime

Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM

Great Idea as well.

Feb 26, 2015, 1:18 PM

It just would be accessible. The WEZ is closed most of the time and must fans have never been in there. May as well just leave it all the time

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 26, 2015, 1:20 PM

Teruble typing. Lol not accessible etc.. Sorry

6 Armed Guards When The Stadium Is Empty

Feb 25, 2015, 4:03 PM

I'm talking guns out and exposed. Then let's see how bad these stupid foolish cowardly vandals really want it.

Re: 6 Armed Guards When The Stadium Is Empty

Feb 25, 2015, 4:09 PM

I like the idea of keeping the Rock in the West Zone except during game weekends & the spring game. It could be a great spectacle bringing the Rock to the Hill on Fridays & returning it on Sunday. We have just got to protect the Rock better. Allow alumni or students to guard the Rock during game weekends. this cannot be allowed to happen again!!

Re: 6 Armed Guards When The Stadium Is Empty

Feb 25, 2015, 6:28 PM

I don't like the idea of keeping it Lin the West Zone and only bringing it out on game days. When I was a freshman at Clemson there were a few times I was struggling with being so far away from home and a few classes, and I was considering just leaving. Those nights I would take a walk from Johnstone over to the top of the hill and look at the rock and lit up clemson sign and realize how special it was to be there, and I would rededicate myself to trying harder.

If it is kept in the West Zone it is saying that the Rock is for football players only, but really it has grown to be much more than that.

Feb 25, 2015, 4:04 PM

An exploding (only under blunt force attack)acrylic replica, left out to be replaced by the real deal on gamedays, would solve the mystery of whodunnit.

Simple - please read

Feb 25, 2015, 4:06 PM

Keep a replica rock at the top of the hill every day of the year except game days.

The real rock would be brought out under security and placed on the pedestal on game day and guarded until it was put away after the game.

Re: Simple - please read

Feb 25, 2015, 4:08 PM

That's what I said....only mine explodes if hit with a hammer or any other type blunt instrument...

Feb 25, 2015, 4:42 PM

Yes I guess a good coat of Nitro brushed on around it would do the trick. But you have to keep that stuff cool also.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2015, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Simple - please read ]

Sounds like a classic Wiley Coyote episode...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a local, I like that it is on display for the fans all yr***

Feb 27, 2015, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Simple - please read ]

We all do, but I'd rather have it safe elsewhere than lose

Feb 25, 2015, 7:42 PM

it altogether.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Never Move It...

Feb 25, 2015, 7:56 PM

Howard's Rock is not a football-only gameday-only thing. It is Clemson 24/7. My wedding portrait is me and my wife with our hands on the rock, taken on a lovely Saturday in May... who wants to take a picture with a replica? Obviously, people are trying to destroy it but if you hide it most of the time, they've nearly won. In light of what happened at Auburn recently I think we should invest in seriously protecting it. Obviously the case is a strong first step... but how hard is it to have motion sensors or lasers which trip an alarm around it? How much would it cost to have a single armed guard 24/7? I think the IPTAY coffers are pretty deep. If not you could start a special fund for a security guard; how about the "Adopt the Rock" fund? $20 for an hour and $1,000 for a day... wouldn't that cover the cost of a guard? Hell, I bet you could make a student club that would do it for free.

I just hate the idea of hiding it... anything but that.

I don't want it moved, but so far its protection has been

Feb 26, 2015, 5:01 AM

a failure. If the university can devise a fail-safe way to do it, then leave it at the top of the hill. You can understand why some of us are now skeptical that it will be done.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: I don't want it moved, but so far its protection has been

Feb 26, 2015, 1:26 PM

In today's world, crimminals find a way to get it. Even if they have to create a way to get pass, around, or by cameras. Even study routines long enough to get pass armed guards. Something that is and has become an ICON=(ONE OF A KIND IN THE WORLD) that sits in the open year round will away be tempting and creates a challenge for crimminals to not quite until they succeed. Jail or not want make them quite. There are such things as lifetime crimminals. There's one born everyday. Once the original ROCK is gone it can't be replaced.

First of all let me say that I don't think that Howard's

Feb 25, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Simple - please read ]

Rock IS Clemson. Without the rock we will be just fine. Having said that, there's no reason to allow idiots take away the tradition that is Howard's Rock.

My idea for protecting? Electrify it!

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

No offense, but that is a terrible idea

Feb 25, 2015, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Simple - please read ]

My guess is that you're young, so I'll excuse it.

A lot of us move out of state after graduation. I took my 2yr old daughter to Death Valley around Christmas to see the rock with her Grandpa and it was a magical moment. She won't get very many opportunities to see it until she's old enough to attend, and I would HATE the idea of her only ever seeing a 'replica' of Howard's Rock.

Makes me sick to even think about it. There are plenty of easy ways to protect the rock, ROTC or otherwise. The football program makes many millions of dollars and the rock could be easily secured for a mere tens of thousands.

If we start putting out a replica of the rock then the terrorists have won.

Leave it on the hill with better alarm:

Feb 27, 2015, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Simple - please read ]

Security technology that sends alarm immediately to police when any blunt force strike the cover along with blaring siren would do the job. Keep it where it is in bullet proof type glass case like the one now and all would be fine.

Just like glass break technology security companies have been using for years.
Shocking to me that no alarm went off this time when blunt force hit the cover.

Looks like the case did its job. I love that people are

Feb 25, 2015, 4:09 PM

taking pictures there every day. You don't see that Williams Brice and most other stadiums.

Perhaps they could outsource some engineering firm

Feb 25, 2015, 4:11 PM

to create a protective environment for it (sarcasm intended). I find it ridiculous that more hasn't been done to protect such an irreplaceable item.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Perhaps they could outsource some engineering firm

Feb 25, 2015, 4:12 PM

Are there any engineers locally that could do that? (Sarcasm intended)

Re: Perhaps they could outsource some engineering firm

Feb 25, 2015, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Perhaps they could outsource some engineering firm ]

The rock is secure. After the last incedent they enclosed it in bullet proof glass (note they cracked the glass but did not get in) and added HD cameras. They now can see your face pimples in low light.

The perp will be clearly seen.

Please don't hide it away.***

Feb 25, 2015, 4:14 PM

For the hydraulic idea that several have said...

Feb 25, 2015, 4:19 PM

Simply shown, a better version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUJ40WOWdgE

I would personally rather not see a Death Valley missing

Feb 25, 2015, 4:20 PM

the pedestal and rock 348 days of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I would personally rather not see a Death Valley missing

Feb 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

Replica on top of it that is moved for the real one to be raised out would solve that. ;)

Re: I would personally rather not see a Death Valley missing

Feb 25, 2015, 4:25 PM

..or have it on a timer to go down at dusk, raise during daylight.

^^^ that's a good idea ^^^***

Feb 25, 2015, 5:42 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: ^^^ that's a good idea ^^^***

Feb 25, 2015, 10:43 PM

This have raised the value or increased the stake in the ROCK. Like this idea.

It could and will add an additional tradition to the gametime hill entrance. Use a replica until special occasion and gametime. Raising Howard Rock with huge spotlights shine on it covered with shiny crystal glass framed with a shiny gold enclosure while a few Clemson's ARMED ROTC UNIT IN PARADE UNIFORMS GLARING IN THE BACK GROUND. SIMILAR TO THE ARMED GUARDMEN AT THE ARLINGTION CEMENTARY'S TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIERS. This will add an additional heart pumping adrenalin to the crowd and the atmosphere of Death Valley as well as the Clemson's Military Tradition. This action have just raised the VALUE of HOWARD ROCK. THIS ONLY PROVED THAT ITS VALUE IS JUST AS GOOD AS GOLD. LET BUILD SOMETHING GREATER OUT OF THESE CRIMMINALS ACTS. THE TERRORISTS HAVE MADE US BETTER AND CREATE A LITTLE MORE POWER IN DEATH VALLEY TO FEED OFF. PS: LETS ADD TO A GREAT TRADITION IN DEATH VALLEY!

I'm with you on this one.

Feb 25, 2015, 4:28 PM [ in reply to I would personally rather not see a Death Valley missing ]

If you hide it, it is no longer something for the Clemson Family. I know people who have graduation, engagement and just plain family pictures taken with the rock. Hide it away and it becomes like the National Championship trophy, something I'm glad we have but I've never been near it.

Re: I'm with you on this one.

Feb 25, 2015, 4:31 PM

Having it raise at daylight and lower at dusk would be the solution. Thing would be getting someone to monitor this every day to make sure it doesn't have problems...but moving it to WEZ would be no different. One would take less physical manpower to do though.

if the rock comes up that slowly, they'd have to start it

Feb 25, 2015, 5:42 PM [ in reply to For the hydraulic idea that several have said... ]

up the night before the game ;)

Photobucket

Re: if the rock comes up that slowly, they'd have to start it

Feb 26, 2015, 11:08 AM

Lol. Yeah, that'd be too slow. Big difference though between the weight of a rock and pedestal vs a 2 ton car. ;) I'd hope they could get it to raise out faster than that. I'd guess about "25 seconds" for safety...and a tie to a Clemson saying of the entrance.

I'm all for vibration sensors in the new pedestal.

Feb 25, 2015, 4:19 PM

The police station is so close (LOL, like CUPD will react in time...), upon any alarm, get your ass there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make the entire pedestal go underground every day at dusk

Feb 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

and lock the gates at dusk. There's at least one gate that stays open so folks can go in and take a picture standing next to the rock. That's not a rumor, that's a fact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Make the entire pedestal go underground every day at dusk

Feb 25, 2015, 9:16 PM

This.

How about having camera's mounted inside the protective cover. One in each direction. That way you have the perp or perp's face on camera looking at the rock before they try and damage it. Camera's are small enough now that it could easily be done.

I'm an '87 grad; was in Tiger Band percussion; father was an IPTAY Rep for 30+ years. He's no longer with us, but I know how he'd feel about this subject! I posted the below earlier this morning. It's just an idea, but I really want to see Clemson take the security of our "Rock" seriously.

"The Rock" was a gift to Coach Howard, the Clemson Football Coach! Maybe the Head Coach (currently Dabo) could deliver "The Rock" to the pedestal just prior to The Tigers running down The Hill. Then, security could place "The Rock" in it's plastic protector during the game, to be removed later. "The Rock" is a part of Clemson History and should be protected so that some fool can not disrespect a Clemson Tradition!

I said this wasn't good enough when they installed attaches

Feb 25, 2015, 4:26 PM

... To the flimsy twist locks on the side of the pedestal . Maybe next time they might destroy or take the whole #### thing. The admin needs to step it up . Once it's gone it can't be replaced. I emailed Prez Barker when it happened the first time. I would pledge some money to come up with something better than this and I'm sure many more would. I'm sure there are companies out there that protect artifacts in museums. And this should be treated as so. It's a part of history. Can u imagine sitting there on Saturday and there's no Rock . It makes me sick. Here is the e mail from Barker in 2013.

Thank you for taking the time to respond . I hope we can come up with something more sturdy that the current plexiglass case . I know cameras will help solve the crime but I'm not sure if they cam actually protect the Rock . I am sure we can come up with something before its completely destroyed the next time . Thank you for all you have done for the university . Go Tigers !

Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 11:24 AM
To: Busbee, James
Subject: RE: Howards Rock

James,

As an alumnus, I’m as mad as anybody. We are investigating and also beefing up security. There will be further changes, too.

Go Tigers!

--Jim Barker

James F. Barker, FAIA
President
Clemson University
201 Sikes Hall
Clemson, South Carolina 29634
Tele: 864.656.3413
Fax: 864.656.4676

Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:39 AM
To: James F. Barker FAIA
Subject: Howards Rock

Dear President Barker , I am glad to hear you are recovering well and hope your health improves. I pray God heals you. I am concerned as to the safety of the Rock as Im sure you are aware many of us are. I feel it needs to be removed until a better means of securing it are in place and feel this will be money well spent to protect an artifacy which cannot be replaced.
God Speed,
James Busbee

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put it in USuC's trophy case

Feb 25, 2015, 4:31 PM

nothing gets in there...

Point!***

Feb 25, 2015, 4:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

POTD!***

Feb 25, 2015, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Put it in USuC's trophy case ]

Photobucket

Plenty of room in there too

Feb 25, 2015, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Put it in USuC's trophy case ]

Nm

I am a bitter and angry man.

I don't know much about motion sensors, but I think what

Feb 25, 2015, 4:33 PM

makes the most sense is to erect a statue of Danny Ford and place it on top of the opposite side scoreboard (West Endzone). The Danny statue should have lasers for eyes that focus squarely on two sides of the Rock. If something enters the vicinity, the lasers would tie into a PLC that would trigger several different warnings and alarms simultaneously.

Firstly, the PLC would send an alarm that would trigger a video camera to start rolling. The video camera would be located on the Danny statue right below his balls so we could get a POV shot of what Danny's balls are seeing during the event. The video stream would stream online on Tigernet and any registered user could then trigger an Amber Alert upon seeing the event taking place. Clemson students would then be able to take matters into their own hands if they could arrive on scene before the Clemson Police could finish their doughnut and come to the scene.

The second trigger from the PLC would send a signal to the speakers in the stadium to start playing "We Too Deep" on high volume in a loop until someone arrives on the scene to turn it off.

The third trigger from the PLC would send a text message to all the players on the 1981 Clemson championship team that says "The guy at the top of the hill says you are all a bunch of cheaters.". It is up to the individual players how they choose to serve justice.

The final trigger from the PLC would shoot a bucket of blood on the possible assailant from the touchdown cannon located in the East Endzone. At the same time, a drone helicopter would be sent over the stadium holding a tiger in a cage with a suitable parachute to ensure a safe delivery of the tiger on the 50 (plus or minus 5 yards due to margin of error). The tiger would be trained to be a hungry and wily SOB with a hankering for blood covered homos. If the rock abuser gets away, kudos to him.

If all else fails, maybe Dabo's boy "J to the sus" could do one of those miracle things and end all the madness once and for all.

Re: I don't know much about motion sensors, but I think what

Feb 25, 2015, 4:36 PM

Man, you went the 80's-90's Ah-nold way of thinking on that on, huh? lol

Re: I don't know much about motion sensors, but I think what

Feb 25, 2015, 4:44 PM [ in reply to I don't know much about motion sensors, but I think what ]

Lmfao. Seems the best solution

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^ wow glad u people are here^^^^^

Feb 25, 2015, 4:38 PM

It was probably some POS coot construction worker working on the Westzone . Really wish y'all would spread some real ideas besides lasers and stupid crap. Waste of space on a serious thread.

You sound like a real fun person***

Feb 25, 2015, 4:46 PM

Feb 25, 2015, 4:40 PM

I would love to walk up on someone vandalizing Coach Howard's rock.
There would be an #### whopp'n.
Would you guys visit me in the pokie?

Feb 25, 2015, 6:58 PM

Would help with your bail

My idea.

Feb 25, 2015, 4:43 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16917456#16917456

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2015, 4:51 PM

How much could it cost for an armed guard 24/7? Not much in the overall scheme of things considering what we spend on our beloved football program, and it would help a lot of us tiger fans sleep better at night.

We're a school with a rich military history and an ROTC

Feb 25, 2015, 4:53 PM

I say, its time to put them to work. It should be guarded by students 24 hours a day, and it should be a great honor to guard it. They wouldn't have to do anything more than stand there, no one will mess with it if there are witnesses. I say that if they can "guard" a student in a cage for 24 hours a day for a week and they can bang a drum for 24 hours a day for a week, then they can guard Howard's Rock 24 hours a day.

not enough people in ROTC to do this***

Feb 25, 2015, 8:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's Past Time To Protect It!

Feb 25, 2015, 5:07 PM

It is past time it should have been protected. I like the idea of having an Honor Guard bring it up in a ceremony each game. There should be harsh punishment for someone who does something like that. Actions have consequences. Punishment should be very harsh!

Feb 25, 2015, 5:09 PM

I regret to say it, but it's time to lock visitors out of Death Valley when there isn't a game on.

East Endzone Oculus Built around the Rock....

Feb 25, 2015, 5:12 PM

Feb 25, 2015, 5:13 PM

There is no doubt a silent alarm with a 9 volt battery powered electronic sensor for shock, and a mercury switch in case if they try and take podium, and the thugs wouldn't know they had triggered an alarm. That would surely work with the thugs also being caught. No one will try it again for a while, thugs no that, that site is hot right now. And this would give our athletic department long enough to put a wireless silent alarm in the case that a certain amount shock from trying to break the case would trigger the alarm. Seal off every exit and call the real police with their dogs hunting the thugs down inside the stadium. Myself would rather leave it in its case where it belongs, and just catch the thugs that want it bad enough to try and get it. It can be protect just where its been setting for years and years. Hiding it only lets them win, they win bc they have caused us pain by having it locked away from its natural place, and away from the loyal fans, players, coaches, and everyone that just wants to touch it. Lock it away and thugs and Clemson haters WIN!!! And armed guards will never be allowed in DV guarding our rock with loaded weapons. Not in this day and time!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the hydraulic underground bunker idea, but

Feb 25, 2015, 5:17 PM

I'm starting to see the point of those who want to see the Rock in place at all times.

With that in mind, let's leave a replica in place until game time, and then have a person of honor place the real rock on the pedestal pre-game. It could be a former player, coach, or distinguished alum each week that gets the honor.

I still think sharks with laser beams

Feb 25, 2015, 5:22 PM

Suspend the rock above the tank. Sharks with laser beams below. Take the sharks laser beams away on game day. Win.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know how in movies or tv shows there is some expensive

Feb 25, 2015, 5:39 PM

artifact on display on a pedestal in a museum... and someone is out to steal it...

but they have to find a way around the lasers and alarm! THAT's THE ANSWER! Lasers and Alarms!!! :)

Photobucket

Re: you know how in movies or tv shows there is some expensive

Feb 25, 2015, 5:47 PM

Vin Diesel in The Pacifier, comes to mind.
:)
GO TIGERS!!!

Feb 25, 2015, 6:43 PM

I have worked in the security industry for 10 Yrs. Shock sensors, (if not already installed on the pedestal) should be installed. Since the rock already has cameras on it, simply put a live video feed of the rock on tigernet for everyone to see. I am sure the police dept already has a feed. if they don't they should it is very easy to do. Justice would be swift for anyone trying to steal the rock!

Feb 25, 2015, 6:52 PM

Four Claymore Mines facing outward . Kill them all and let God sort them out.

Feb 25, 2015, 7:16 PM

I know how to protect Howard's Rock. Snipers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 25, 2015, 7:33 PM

Hood:

Let a Clemson civil engineer pose the ultimate solution for you.

First, the Rock is an Iconic fixture that needs to stay in that exact location.
Moving it would only tarnish the image by bowing down to those coward ba$#####s wanting to harm it.

Leave it in that hallowed spot, but store it in a recessed vault by which the display pedestal can be lowered or raised with a hydraulic piston. Tucked in this bunker below grade, Howard's baby is safe and sound until such time as a new recruit or 80,000 screaming maniacs in Orange cry for it to launch.

Just picture...the buses pull up and the team approaches the hill; the band starts up with the famous first three notes of Tiger Rag. BA! BAA! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!, and upon the third note they hold it until the button is pushed, maybe a few fireworks explode and "THE ROCK" erupts from the cauldron AND THE CROWD GOES FREAKIN BANANAS!

The most famous 30 seconds in football just became 35!

AND, just think what ole DABO can do with an animated recruiting tool like that.

Heck, I'll even design it and build it for ya! That's what us Clemson Engineers do!

Feb 25, 2015, 7:36 PM

If during the day it could be on a timer so that it would be displayed for fans and students to see. Say at 5:00 they lower it

^^^^THIS!^^^^***

Feb 25, 2015, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it ]

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 25, 2015, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it ]

****This is the solution**** Great plan. Let's get on with it AD.

Mechanical reliability is the only concern.

Feb 25, 2015, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it ]

That needs to be the best-maintained, most inspected cylinder in the state. If that level of service is maintained, it's a good idea. Actually, I think it would be extremely well-maintained... a gameday failure, especially on national TV, would be such a big getting-fired disaster that our AD would make sure it DID NOT HAPPEN.

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

In addition, there should be manual failsafes.

Feb 25, 2015, 8:43 PM

If the cylinder didn't work, there should be an immediately-implementable way to raise the rock manually.

Hey... "Raise the Rock". Coined a phrase.

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

Feb 25, 2015, 7:42 PM

The in-ground hydraulic lift works. Similar to a car lift or an elevator, the whole thing, pedestal and all, could be raised any time by computer or key. It could bee displayed during the day and put away at night. You would have complete control of when it would be on display.

Feb 25, 2015, 8:06 PM

absolutely!!Taking it down and hiding it would allow these people to win. Lets figure out a way to protect it and show it off. Lets don't take the easy way out on this

Feb 25, 2015, 8:50 PM

I said only take it down at night or when it didn't need to be displayed. There are thousands of examples of national treasures that can only be viewed at certain times. Not a big deal or a surrender of anything. Just common sense.

Feb 25, 2015, 9:37 PM

I said ABSOLUTELY. That means I was agreeing with you

Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 AM

Sorry. Thanks. This vandalism needs to stop. Whoever does this kind of destructive vandalism is sick. Get help! I lived in Columbia most of my life and knew a lot of Carolina fans. Even the worst of them would never do something like this. I was there in 1961 when they pulled the fake team stunt. I have lived thru a lot of pranks over the years and this is the worst. Evil. I wouldn't even classify it as a prank. It's just mean. Stupid.

Feb 26, 2015, 1:16 PM

I agree. My Uncle got his Engineering degree in the late 50's while it was still a Military School. They pulled many pranks at both schools during the day but nothing like this classless act. Maybe the family of the last guy is trying to water down the case against him or like someone said it could be one of the people working on the multiple construction sites. The damage required a pretty good arm and heavy sledge hammer or something to do that much damage to the case and base

Feb 25, 2015, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Hood: Howard's Rock IS Clemson, and now it's time to protect it ]

This response is for the AD. Clemson football coaches are recruiting student athletes to Clemson University and telling them and their parents that they will take care of them while they are students at Clemson. Now it looks like we can not even take care of one iconic revered stone. Either stop the coaches from stating they will take care of recruits, or solve the continuing problem of protecting the rock. Do it now, or resign and let someone else solve this little problem that has been allowed to grow into a big problem. If you do not view this as your problem, please state to whom this problem belongs. Who will accept responsibility and say "I will take care of this".

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the idea of things coming out of the ground BUT

Feb 25, 2015, 8:54 PM

It shouldn't be the rock that moves. Make a case that surrounds the entire pedestal and Rock that comes out of the ground between dusk/dawn. The side facing the gate could be bulletproof glass so people could still see the rock with the other sides steel. I would also like to see motion sensors in the area and pressure pads in the 5 feet surrounding the rock.

The real question is CUPD up to monitoring the alerts provided by the motion sensors/pressure pads? History seems to indicate they may not be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like the idea of things coming out of the ground BUT

Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 AM

Issue with that idea (though it's also good), is the "cage" being steel would then block some of the view of DV...kind of like erecting a large wall in the middle of a city skyline.

Feb 25, 2015, 9:13 PM

The Howard's Rock Sniper has a ring to it.

I should hope that after the last act of vandalism, that cameras

Feb 25, 2015, 9:19 PM

Were in place to catch the S.O.B.s that did this.

Very quietly put a replica Rock without telling anybody***

Feb 25, 2015, 10:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very quietly put a replica Rock without telling anybody***

Feb 25, 2015, 10:11 PM

and rig it with about 50LBS TNT so that it blows the sorry SOB that fools with it into about 100 pieces,
no one else will ever try to steal it again!

You didnt graduate from Clemson.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 AM

You write like a middle schooler. Please go away. You don't belong in this debate. You have no idea what the rock means. You are just a writer trying to get famous.

z17

Feb 26, 2015, 3:07 AM

put the armed guards!!! We don't negotiate with terrorists, you said it yourself, it's home is atop the hill and under the scoreboard!!! Just 2 guards around the clock, 6 per day. More access for fans around the clock, keep the coots out

Start a new Tradition.

Feb 26, 2015, 7:07 AM

I like David's idea of walking The Rock into place on game days. Have the Captains for that game be the ones who get the Honor. Would be neat if the pad it is carried on had proximity sensors, so that a giant orange Tiger Paw on the Oculus facing the field would slowly "fill" with Orange, as the Rock approaches the pedestal, and then flash / glow Orange with accompanying cannon fire when it is set in place. Could be the start of a great new tradition.

But, shame on us if we did not already have 24 hour security cameras on The Rock already after the previous incident. Locking the barn door after the horse is gone would never replace the horse. I can't see how cameras plus motion sensors that would alert campus police would be that expensive. I guarantee we could raise the money for a very elaborate system if someone at the University just says the word and sets up a fund.

Feb 26, 2015, 8:47 AM

I know this would cost a bit of money, but I think that installing some type of lift system that could lower & raise the rock from a vault under ground, and when the players start exiting the buses, they can raise from the earth with smoke!

Subterranean vault with a hydraulic elevator

Feb 26, 2015, 8:47 AM

However, I will agree that marching it out under guard of Clemson Corps cadets is a pretty good idea too.

Re: Subterranean vault with a hydraulic elevator

Feb 26, 2015, 10:36 AM

Yes, but the "ROCK" rising from the earth while the players gather around it would be ridiculous awesome. Then after they run down the hill, they can lower it back and seal it with a heavy 1/2 locking plate to keep thug a** vandals from putting their filthy hands on it.

Howard's Rock should be secure/visible 24/7 atop the hill

Feb 26, 2015, 10:13 AM

Howard's Rock should be visibly perched at the top of the hill 24/7. It can be visible/secure/accessible without hydraulics, computers, underground vaults, security details, etc. The pedestal should be adequately thick hardened steel anchored sufficiently deep in the ground in a couple of tons of high strength concrete. Then, Howard's Rock should be encased in very thick bullet proof glass, perhaps in the shape of a bell. A round surface would make viewing Howard's Rock easy from all angles while being difficult to grab and pull. The opening of the flared bell should be fitted with a welded/flanged hardened steel collar suitable for attachment. The bullet proof glass case with steel collar should then be locked to the pedestal with multiple, sufficiently massive hardened steel, keyed locks. Each lock should require a different key. I like what a previous poster recommended about a "public" video feed, as well as the same video feed to "authorities". A four view split screen with one view covering Howard's Rock and the surrounding area would be cool.

We have a very good engineering college at our disposal. What a great special project! Make it a competition. Form teams of a mix of engineering disciplines; civil and mechanical for mounting; and electrical and computer for video feed, and any other forms of electronic security. Heck, I will be retiring from NASA in 1 year, 3 months, and 26 days with 29 years and 2 days of service. I know I could make Howard's Rock visible and secure. I'm not saying that I could make Howard's Rock impervious to bull doziers and nuclear bombs, but I could present these dumb @$$ vandals with quite a challenge.

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Same Clear Cast + Electric Voltage

Feb 26, 2015, 10:19 AM

with a simple sign saying that you will shocked if you touch the protective case

Best Is The Standard

DH - your story illustrates why your solution is not a good

Feb 26, 2015, 10:36 AM

one. What if those folks driving between Ohio and FL had driven to Clemson and seen a replica of The Rock? Or those folks visiting the Scroll of Honor?

I don't have a good idea, but I'm sure someone does. Vandals disgust me. They are worthless and they know it. Damaging something is so much easier than actually trying to accomplish something.

Myself and my 2 brothers

Feb 26, 2015, 10:45 AM

Each one of us working 8 hour shifts as armed guards. We must be given the 007 license to kill. Salary would be negotiable. Preferably paid by the amount of coots we take down...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Feb 26, 2015, 10:58 AM

Whatever is done must follow the "KISS" rule. The more elaborate the protection system the more of a challenge it will be to breach it.

Feb 26, 2015, 11:28 AM

I like the hydraulic idea where the rock is raised up on game day or dawn til dusk. Guarded off by ROTC members in their Dress Blues. What if, it was raised on game day, lowered maybe an hour or so before game time. Then as the tigers begin their trek around the stadium it begins to rise. Reaching full display as the tigers exit the bus.

Or a daily escort by ROTC members carrying the rock to it's rightful place atop 'the hill' and a daily escort back to the West End Zone each night would be a start.

Feb 26, 2015, 12:23 PM

Great idea! I support this 110%

moveable guard house.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:42 PM

Right by it. A guard stays there all night, or ROTC stands fire watch in two hour shifts.

Feb 26, 2015, 3:22 PM

Protect the Rock and start a new tradition.

I tweeted this out last night. Move Howard's Rock to the Oculus and put a replica in it's place at the top of the Hill. On game day (just before the team buses around the stadium) have the Tiger bring the real rock around the outside of the stadium - in it's own bus - and set into position atop the Hill. The fans would go bonkers! Then when the team reaches the top of the Hill, our beloved Rock is back in its rightful place.

Protect the Rock and start a new tradition***

Feb 26, 2015, 3:25 PM

Guard towers placed at the 4 corners of the Stadium

Feb 26, 2015, 4:32 PM

Place Snipers in each one of them with shoot to kill orders

Tigerwatch***

Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM

Replies: 105