Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
this election wasn’t even that close
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 420

this election wasn’t even that close

Nov 9, 2020, 12:09 PM

306 electoral votes plus a 6.9 million vote plurality for Biden. We shouldn’t be calling this a close election.

20th century winner’s popular vote margins:

2000: -543,816
2004: 3,012,171
2008: 9,550,153
2012: 4,982,291
2016: - 2,868,686
2020: (est.) 6,900,000

This election was more decisive than all but 2008, and Biden bested Trump’s 2016 net margin by nearly 10 million votes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the Electoral College system, it takes a little

Nov 9, 2020, 12:26 PM

more math to really determine how close it is relative to other elections, than just going by EV count or popular vote count. I'd use a mixture.

I would try to come up with the least number of votes I could to change state results to swing the Electoral Vote to the other side.

Based on the current count in 2020, I would pick PA, GA, and NC (assuming NC goes to the President). The margins of those states add up to something like 73,000 votes, and that number might creep up some.

If you do the same thing for 2016 for MI, WI, and PA, then that vote total is around 78,000. So by this measure, the 2020 election is actually a little closer than 2016.

Same process for other elections:

2012: 429,500
2008: 1.1 million
2004: 117,000
2000: 537

I'm glad somebody did the hard math...

Nov 9, 2020, 12:28 PM

this was my response, but I didn't want to go state by state. I'm assuming you found this some place and you don't have a spreadsheet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just used arithmetic, and vote counts from Wikipedia.***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:39 PM

but I bet you aren't using...

Nov 9, 2020, 12:31 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

the 6,900,000 (projected) number.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the Electoral College system, it takes a little

Nov 9, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

Prodigal,

That might be the more accurate way to measure the (arcane) closeness election, but the mandate is more closely tied to the popular vote or even the EC vote, don't you think ??

what's the mandate?

Nov 9, 2020, 12:35 PM

Joe's not Trump?

I don't care about "mandate".

Nov 9, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

That means nothing to me.

Noticed a typo: the list of states to switch for 2020

Nov 9, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

should read PA, GA, and AZ.

Re: In the Electoral College system, it takes a little

Nov 9, 2020, 12:42 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

Nice work Prod.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Mondale would have needed to swing about 6 million

Nov 9, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

votes from Reagan in 1984. That's probably the biggest one.

sure it is easy cherry pick a few close states

Nov 9, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to In the Electoral College system, it takes a little ]

and then say it was a close election.

This is the beauty of electoral college reasoning, it allows you to discount the actual votes from large states, which begs the question, why is California even still in our country anyway?

I didn't "cherry pick". I systematically picked those

Nov 9, 2020, 1:24 PM

that would swing the election on the fewest number of votes. Which is how I would measure "close" in such an election.

For example, if the EV count was 323 to 215.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:28 PM

An California was won by only 10 votes by the EV leader, I'd say that was really close to going the other way, regardless of that EV margin.

I think that is still missing the balance that the EC...

Nov 9, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to sure it is easy cherry pick a few close states ]

measures. It measures both popular votes while representing the individual states. It does not ignore the popular vote. Why do some states have more weight than others?

Our bicameral Congress is designed to do the same thing.

Biden is welcomed to claim a mandate on these results, but I don't think that will work with the 49.3% of the people who did not vote for him. Those same people also voted for more Republican representation in the House and did not swing the Senate in his favor. If that changes in January, he may can make a claim.

The winning message that he should keep pushing is we are a divided country and I am going to work toward building consensus - not I have a mandate.

It's a non-sensical thing to talk about: "claim a mandate"

Nov 9, 2020, 1:30 PM

He's just going to do what he thinks he should do as President. What would he do differently if he "claimed a mandate," as opposed to if he didn't? It's not a thing, except something to say to try to make people think he is more right.

Re: this election wasn’t even that close

Nov 9, 2020, 12:29 PM

dang, I predicted 7 million. I need to work on my fuzzy math and democrats need to win statehouses so this redistricting crap does not keep coming back to bite us in the electoral college.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the population of South Carolina, ND, SD and WY

Nov 9, 2020, 12:43 PM

combined.

That's an ### whipping.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this election wasn’t even that close

Nov 9, 2020, 12:49 PM

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. The popular vote is about 3% more for Biden. More votes were cast this year than 2016 when Clinton also won about 3% more of the popular vote.The Electoral College with 306 votes for Biden was the same 306 as Trump won in 2016.Biden at the present is leading NV by 6K, AZ by 17K,WI by 20K,MI by 46K, GA by 11K and PA by 46K. So 6 states all won by Biden were won by a total of around 146K votes. I would say that's close. California alone gave Biden 4.5 million more votes than Trump. Congratulations to Biden for winning the election. Hopefully he will govern from the center as this country is pretty close to a 50/50 country. He has no overwhelming mandate.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that is the mandate

Nov 9, 2020, 1:25 PM

be a president for the middle.

The people in the middle of the political specturm is what got him there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I think that is the mandate

Nov 9, 2020, 2:18 PM

I hope you're right. Bernie and AOC do not see it that way. He will have more difficulty dealing with the "progressives" in his own party than in getting some things done by dealing with the Senate. His hands will be tied to some extent by a GOP Senate, but that may turn out well for him as he can honestly claim that he is unable to push the left's agenda. This election was a rejection of Trump the person rather than conservative policies. The GOP surprisingly won seats in the House and has thus far defended most of the vulnerable Senate seats. The GOP had significant Statehouse wins and will be in position to control redistricting. I never liked Trump the person. Never. I did end up voting for him on his policies while totally disliking his style. Towards the end, I realized I would be ok with Biden winning as long as the Senate held GOP. Things will be much more calm and I like gridlock as a whole. Government should be out of our lives as much as possible. I wish Biden to have a healthy and successful centrist term. He is fortunate that he will be the recipient of good feelings if indeed Pfizer's projection of a 90% effective vaccine proves true. I am however pissedd that Jaime Harrison wants Muschamp gone. Thankfully none of his war chest is available to buy out Will! I realize Harrison was joking, but to even raise the issue of firing Muschamp is annoying.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 420
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic