Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For anyone complaining about men’s hoops
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

For anyone complaining about men’s hoops

Jan 16, 2019, 6:43 AM

Keep in mind that we have won two national championships in football since the last time we lost to our rival in basketball. Also, with the recent run of domination, it is now possible, maybe even likely, that I will see us even the overall series during my lifetime. I am 59 and we are 11 games below .500.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For anyone complaining about men’s hoops

Jan 16, 2019, 7:23 AM

FWIW, I'm not complaining. Worse, however, I'm ignoring them altogether. Sad ...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2019, 7:51 AM

^ Yeah, that is about right.

I am still following them and I will buy by Tourney ticket for one day only (again) this year.

Jan 16, 2019, 9:29 AM

ACC tourney?

Jan 16, 2019, 8:23 AM

Not sure if complaining, but most people thought we might be better this year than last. Instead, we are worse. Not a good thing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2019, 9:06 AM

I do not intend my post as an excuse,but as an explanation. I wish the Tigers had won at least one of its first three conference games, but my wishes are tempered by the fact that the Tigers opened on the road at number 1 Duke, then traveled to Syracuse to play the team that just went into Durham and beat Duke. What was the Tigers reward for starting with such a horrible conference schedule? They got to come home and play an UNDEFEATED Virginia team. Again, I’m not happy with the current record, but understanding of the current situation and willing to support the Tigers as they go through the schedule and wait until the schedule becomes more manageable and not blindly throw the Tigers under the bus. In the interest of fairrness, I will hold my judgement on this year’s team until they have played a few more games. Go TIGERS. Beat Georgia Tech.

It's not so much the 0-3 Record as it is the level of play

Jan 16, 2019, 9:54 AM

We've not been competitive in any of those three games. We could be a very different 0-3 team but the Cuse loss wasn't that close. The highest our win percentage was in the 2nd half was 17% and that was early.

You can lose to UVA at home, but not get blown off the floor in the first 10-15 minutes. Duke, at least they hung around until about halftime, but in none of these games, was the outcome ever in doubt in the 2nd half.

In addition the best win on our resume is #48 Lipscomb by the NET rankings.

MS State isn't a terrible loss at #33 but that was another non-competitive game. Losing to #58 Creighton doesn't really help either.

The only competitive game we've played against a top 30 NET team is the loss to #10 Nebraska.

Until something clicks with this team, we're looking like a bottom half ACC team this year with 9 teams currently ranked ahead of us.

It's disappointing because you would hope that players like Simms and Skara would have stepped up to fill some of the void left by Devoe, but that's just not happening. I think Mitchell is also playing hurt but I also see a lot of lackluster offensive sets again and have no idea why Thomas spends so much time screening out on the perimeter where he's not only not a threat to score, but he also picks up 1-2 fouls per game on moving screens.

Tonight is a must win, or any hope of turning this thing around is gone. We'll be doing well to split at FSU and at NCSU, then a must win vs a PITT team that's ranked ahead of us at home, just to get to 3-4 in ACC play.

We've been a little disappointing, but i never thought we

Jan 16, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: For anyone complaining about men’s hoops ]

would better.

We lost Gave Devoe's 3 point shooting and had nobody on the roster to replace it. We have nobody to really stretch the floor this year and our 3 point % as a team has fallen from 36.6% to 30.6%. We've fallen from the ~75th percentile in D1 to like 10th percentile so we've gone from being one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the country to one of the absolute worst.

It's not JUST Devoe, Mitchell and Reed's 3 point percentages are well down from last year as well, but i think Devoe's absence is the biggest problem.

Bottom line is that Brownell has just never recruited well enough to survive the losses of key upperclassmen - even when it's just 1 guy. I like Brad and I've also pulled from him and wanted him to succeed, but if we are ever going to get any consistency in the program he just has to recruit at a higher level. Maybe the new facilities will give him the boost he needs - that's the hope at least.

Agree we need a 3rd shooter

Jan 16, 2019, 10:52 AM

Most teams can guard two shooters on the perimeter, but not three, especially with an inside threat like Thomas. I think that's the difference in the offense from last year. You really only have to guard Mitchell and Reed on top. Skara or Simms may hit a few on you, but they aren't a threat to consistently hit.

If anyone thought we were going to be better....

Jan 16, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: For anyone complaining about men’s hoops ]

Then they did not pay attention last year.
DeVoe was incredible and Dante was terrific before the injury. Regardless of who came back, both of those guys made that team go.

I do think that an expectation of getting back to the NCAA tourney is a fair one for this team. But not being ‘better’ than last year. We are not there as a program.

All hope is not yet lost for this team. The schedule evens out soon. But the league looks tough, and there are some who look like they are crawling out of the cellar that would be glad to put us in it....we play one of them tonight. At this point, tonight is a must-win...mainly to get one in 2019 before January ends.

Disappointed in the conference start, but...

Jan 16, 2019, 9:27 AM

We didn’t beat Duke, Syracuse, or Virginia last year either....we’ve got to start making some shots though

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic