Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For all you loons bashing BV....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,134

For all you loons bashing BV....

Sep 24, 2012, 1:03 AM

if the problem isn't talent on defense (which it CLEARLY is), how do you explain Oklahoma's defensive performance the last two years against FSU???

How many players on our defense have the potential to one day make the NFL?? None of the upperclassmen. Zero! Maybe Anthony and Blanks, but those guys are true sophomore and true freshman.

In 2010, we had 7 regulars (upperclassmen too) on the defense that are gone and now on an NFL roster.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I don't totaly disagree, there are

Sep 24, 2012, 1:24 AM

a couple of things that bother me. I don't understand why we aren't seeing a few different faces on the field. Honestly, can it be worse? Steward played a good 2nd half vs Furman and I can't remeber seeing him saturday. Second, I know it'll take BV awhile but it seems fundamentals would look a little better but tackling looks worse than last year.

Re: While I don't totaly disagree, there are

Sep 24, 2012, 1:59 AM

I dont disagree either. I am sure OU did have more talent. ALthough I read the other week where Venables said the talent he has here is just as good. Now it might be younger here than at OU.

However, the FSU running game was not nearly as good last year. The FSU O Line was not nearly as good and I believe they have improved in their receiving corps as well since last year.

FSU is improved offensively this year in a few areas.

I do think we have some guys playing that shouldn't be and we have some guys on the bench that should be out on the field playing.

The big difference is

Sep 24, 2012, 7:50 AM

EJ Manuel. He looks like a different qb this year. Last year he couldn't hit water from a boat. He was accurate Saturday night.

Wouldn't go that far

Sep 24, 2012, 7:59 AM

He wasn't exactly having to thread the needle when passing. Most of the time his crossing routes and options in the flat were wide open. It's not hard to look accurate when there's not a defender within 5 yards.

Also the bigger problem with Venebles isn't the FSU game. This defense has been bad all year despite the game scores. FSU didn't make us look bad on defense, we are making us look bad on defense. I honestly don't think there is much talent on the D-line. Over the past 5 years we've typically had 2-3 NFL players on the D-line. Goodman is probably the only one close to that and he's a last day draft pick if that. Defense start up front and if you can't get any pressure with the front 4 and you can't stop the run without safeties in the box you are going to struggle badly. And we are.

Re: Wouldn't go that far

Sep 24, 2012, 8:30 AM

While I agree to some extent some of his receivers were open, there were several plays in which they were not that open and even if they were, he does not make several of the completions last year.

i think his quote was that he had little better speed on

Sep 24, 2012, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: While I don't totaly disagree, there are ]

this team but not nearly the same level of experience.

talent and speed don't always equate.

Re: i think his quote was that he had little better speed on

Sep 24, 2012, 7:57 AM

I remember that quote as well. BV has tiptoed around the talent issue for quite a while. Doing his best to accentuate the positives. (no old song references please) The defensive cupboard is not overflowing just now.

because our best tacklers graduated...it's the same bunch

Sep 24, 2012, 8:06 AM [ in reply to While I don't totaly disagree, there are ]

just less talent. None of that is BV at this point. If we look like that in 3 years then we can start that discussion.

My hunch is that we'll be alot better defensively in the years to come. We just gotta somehow make something of this crew.

It's more like, BV is thinking, what have I got myself into.

Sep 24, 2012, 8:03 AM

It's our team folks. WE've got players that aren't getting it done. We don't really have a leader that sets the tone. Our leaders are even trying to survive. It takes more than a couple of good defenders to complete a defense.

Brent Venables is really gonna be good but he can't make magic happen. He has to just try to get through the season with this bunch and hope we grow into something or get em ready for next years defense.

The only thing that sucks is that we have the offense to win a National Championship but our defense is severely deficient and is bottoms in our League even, at this point. it just blows my mind that all those 4star kids are garbage.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,134
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic