Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For all my Ware Shoals buddies.....Now don't start cryin'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,524

For all my Ware Shoals buddies.....Now don't start cryin'

Jul 4, 2017, 6:52 PM

when you peruse this,but Mrs. Spud sent it to me. We go to the Riley's annual pig pickin' in Hodges and one of BA's( Mrs. Spud) friends sent it to her. I get nostalgic looking at other people's high school annuals, much less my own. Anyway, it hit me that while my wife, in 1967, at 9 years old was at the Ware Shoals 4th of July festivities, Ole Spud,then Young Spud, was a Lake Junaluska doing very much the same thing, although The Hornets had us beat in a couple of events. First, the Women's Rolling Pin and pie pan toss. ( I wonder how many of their husbands got that rolling pin tossed upside their heads for having a little too much cider that day). Second, the Sack Race. I can just imagine the laughter of my kids if they were watching me and Mrs. Spud in a three legged sack race( And I also found it interesting that the flier said to bring your own sack. Now days, I am not sure where I would go to get one) Third, the greased pig race and the words, WINNER GETS THE PIG. Well, in 1967, I bet most near everyone in Ware Shoals could have butchered that pig in a skinny minute. Now days, that same pig would probably be turned into a pet, save the PETA people from camping outside your house and harassing you for weeks.

Also, how 'bout those prizes. $1.00 for first place,$.50 cents for runner up. 3, yep, THREE, golf balls for closest to the pin. In reality, the real prize was the memories made by fellowship with all of your neighbors and friends.

So, Happy 4th of July! I hope to see all of you Ware Shoals boys soon!

Spud

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live half way between Ware Shoals & Waterloo.

Jul 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

YES, it the middle of no where. I planned it that way when I moved out of Greenville in 93. LOL

You just can't beat small towns.....***

Jul 4, 2017, 7:17 PM

At my wife's last high school reunion,I got her a cold

Jul 4, 2017, 7:23 PM

one and I was looking for an opener, when one of her buddies whipped out his pocket knife and had that top off before you could shake a stick. Now, I consider myself a country boy, a redneck to some, but at 58 years old, I didn't know how to do that..Now, I rarely even look for a bottle opener anymore. Much easier to just use my knife! I hope the ole boy shows up to the next Ware Shoals reunion so I can show him how I have perfected my craft.

Re: At my wife's last high school reunion,I got her a cold

Jul 4, 2017, 9:15 PM

Just use the edge of a counter top to table top to open dem bottles. Who needs a knife?

Also, use another unopened bottle. ONE of them will open, and the other one stays closed. :)

You city slickers need sum lessuns.

Wow, thanks for the picture Spud.....

Jul 4, 2017, 8:49 PM

That brings back a lot of memories. My wife and I were riding through WS today and I was telling her about how we use to celebrate the 4th when I was little. My, have times changed. I sure do miss those days.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a matter of fact,

Jul 4, 2017, 8:55 PM

I still have a few of the envelopes from my "prize" winnings....lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great memories and some true observations of times

Jul 4, 2017, 9:44 PM

past and present. Pet pigs vs. pig pickin's.

Good to see several folks with ties to the Ware Shoals & Hodges area. Grew up in Hodges and still have ties there (here for the moment).

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For all my Ware Shoals buddies.....Now don't start cryin'

Jul 4, 2017, 9:54 PM

WS is the center of the known universe!

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,524
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic