Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For NCAA Rule experts: Is there any NCAA rule...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

For NCAA Rule experts: Is there any NCAA rule...

Nov 26, 2017, 11:09 AM

allowing a game official to flag a team for fan behavior?

My wife was a college cheerleader 87-91 and recalls her group was once flagged for sideline interference (she thinks it was encroachment) for repeatedly being to close to the field.

My 70s CU student days included the passing of the NCAA 'noise' rule we enjoyed claiming was enacted because of Tiger students (remember D Devine reportedly sending a letter to NCAA complaining and the Gville News editorial cartoon I still have with Ford saying, "Noise? What noise?" (plus the one he sent to Ford asking us to wear white at DV so ND could wear home jerseys). And the time we caused NCSt QB at Carter Finley to step away from center because of our 'traveling noise'.

BTW anyone know when the 'noise' rule was discarded?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For NCAA Rule experts: Is there any NCAA rule...

Nov 26, 2017, 12:01 PM

1. Pigs?

2. Never heard of the noise rule.

3. Yes the fans can be flagged (repeatedly) for unsportsmanlike behavior. It's very rare but I've seen it once or twice in the last 10 years or so. There really was no excuse that the refs didn't flag it last night. They even had the perfect opportunity to do it when they flagged Dabo to let them be offsetting. If the refs didn't have this power games would get out of hand quite frequently. I'm not 100% certain it's called unsportsmanlike behavior but it's probably a 10 or 15 yard penalty.

"Pigs?" = What? *n/m***

Nov 26, 2017, 1:23 PM

Don't remember noise rule = you have 0 grey hair! :) *nm***

Nov 26, 2017, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: For NCAA Rule experts: Is there any NCAA rule... ]

The noise rule was enforced

Nov 26, 2017, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: For NCAA Rule experts: Is there any NCAA rule... ]

I remember being in Valley vs Duke in mid to late 80’s and we were penalized for our crowd being to loud.

Anybody else recall that?

Re: The noise rule was enforced

Nov 26, 2017, 1:36 PM

Oh I remember it well. If the crowd was really loud, the QB would step away from the line and say his team couldn't hear him. The officals would give the crowd a warning, and if it occurred again, it was a 5 year penalty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The noise rule was enforced

Nov 26, 2017, 2:01 PM

As I recall, the penalty was a charged time out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely! And, AT NCSt in late 70s n/m***

Nov 26, 2017, 2:00 PM [ in reply to The noise rule was enforced ]

Nov 26, 2017, 12:17 PM

I'm not sure when the noise rule was done away with but it's been a long time. Certainly before the 1990's.

As for penalizing the crowd, it's extremely rare but there is a rule for it. As another example, the refs can call a penalty on marching bands for playing after the huddle. It's hardly ever done, which is why you hear bands flirting with the rule and blasting until the very last second before the snap (GT is notorious for this).

Nov 26, 2017, 12:34 PM

Bill Dooley at Va Tech had alot to do with the rule. We completely disrupted their play for awhlie and just so happened brother Vince was on the Rules Committee!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently, the noise rule is still there.

Nov 26, 2017, 1:27 PM

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-referee-says-band-cheerleaders-too-loud-20151111-story.html.

Just being enforced differently these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic