Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football seems to be unique in the sports world
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,225

Football seems to be unique in the sports world

May 14, 2018, 12:05 PM

with how there is a separate group of players for offense and defense. Basketball, Baseball, etc all have players that must contribute on both sides if they are competing (special consideration to pitchers or goalies).

The discussion of Meredith vs. Wharton and their contributions to the team got me wondering yesterday: If football could only use 11 players who MUST play offense and defense, how do you think it would change lineups and who would play? How do you think the game would be affected? For discussion, QB could be like a pitcher and have a 'DH' on the other side for defense.

My initial thought would be that you'd want linemen to be more defensive oriented and use them as your Oline, WRs would probably cross over as CBs

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

Burning Question

May 14, 2018, 12:35 PM

Who would our 3rd base coach be??

Re: Burning Question

May 14, 2018, 12:54 PM

I have never been more hesitant to open a post than I was this one...with that subject line.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Burning Question

May 14, 2018, 2:01 PM

https://youtu.be/3vmPwZT-9zY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Football seems to be unique in the sports world

May 14, 2018, 12:44 PM

In my pee wee days we played both sides. I know in HS there was less of it but it hasn't completely disappeared . Didn't Vic Beasley play LB and RB at his HS in Georgia ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

There will always be studs that can play multiple positions

May 14, 2018, 12:54 PM

Jabril Peppers is the most recent standout example. I just think it would be interesting trying to see the hard-hitting Tanner Muse catching TE passes. Or ETN coming in on a blitz.

Clemson

It would completely change the game, and in many ways for

May 14, 2018, 12:58 PM

the better, imo.

All around players, versatility, toughness, and conditioning would be valued over skill.

But the biggest difference would be in kicking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hadn't even considered Special Teams

May 14, 2018, 1:00 PM

CW42 can do splits, maybe he can knock one through the uprights? Wasn't there an OL who got the glory of a PAT in practice somewhat recently?

Clemson

Re: Hadn't even considered Special Teams

May 14, 2018, 3:51 PM

CUgrad2011 said:

Wasn't there an OL who got the glory of a PAT in practice somewhat recently?

I believe that was Wilkins, actually.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football seems to be unique in the sports world

May 14, 2018, 2:08 PM

Tag team wrestling comes close

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables could pull off Macho Man with some facial hair***

May 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

Clemson

youre right

May 14, 2018, 3:08 PM

Only thing similar in sports is the goalie in soccer and hockey

Even in those sports, there are 'offensive' and 'defensive'

May 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

players based on the position they play, as a sweeper won't be in scoring positions a lot, and strikers aren't heralded for defensive plays unless it's a corner kick or something. But just interesting how other sports have to sub in or out based on potential game flows. Football has packages, but it's not like subbing in for defensive schemes in Basketball, and baseball is even more strict when subbing.

Clemson

I play both ways.***

May 14, 2018, 3:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Pitcher and Catcher, I assume?***

May 14, 2018, 3:25 PM

Clemson

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,225
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic