Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football on TV: Hulu vs Vue vs Sling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Football on TV: Hulu vs Vue vs Sling

Aug 5, 2017, 8:49 PM

It's almost that wonderful time of year! Last year I used PS Vue through a firestick for football. It was nice, but not that big of a leap over Sling.

Now that Hulu has the Live TV thing with MORE sports for about the same cost, I am wondering if anyone has tried it out.

What will you be getting your football fix on this season?

Pros or cons with any streaming service are welcome!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football on TV: Hulu vs Vue vs Sling

Aug 5, 2017, 8:55 PM

I am interested in responses on this too. I am currently a sling guy, but if Hulu turns out to be as good and cheaper, then competition wins. ????

Message was edited by: hufferbilly®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i am in same situation

Aug 5, 2017, 9:00 PM

Use PS Vue.

Anybody use a streaming service that has local tv stations? In Greenville area.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a HDTV antenna and it takes care of national and local

Aug 5, 2017, 10:01 PM

Broadcasts... better quality too. I watch on national TV when possible via HDTV antenna. Resort to sling when not possible.

Re: i am in same situation

Aug 6, 2017, 9:27 AM [ in reply to i am in same situation ]

I have not tried it, but AirTV combines OTA local channels with SlingTV in the same UI and program guide and as far as I know, it's the only platform to do so:

https://airtv.net/

I'm using DirectTVNow + a Leaf50 for OTA channels.

I currently have Sling and have had since day 1

Aug 5, 2017, 9:39 PM

I've done the free trail on all the others and still think Sling is the best as far as usability goes. I like Hulu but they aren't on Roku yet so I can't do the live TV option on a TV screen. The Hulu live TV on my iPad wasn't very user friendly. I'll try it again once it's on Roku.

Aug 5, 2017, 9:44 PM

I sure they are all good, but can only speak for sling. It comes with ESPn in their basic package so I was able to see every game last year being that we were in the top ten. it also has espn 360 and the ACC network so you are basically covered otherwise.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second this ??***

Aug 5, 2017, 9:59 PM

Is the acc network where they announced the coke bottle release?***

Aug 6, 2017, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Football on TV: Hulu vs Vue vs Sling ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Use Directnow for $9.99 a month,

Aug 5, 2017, 9:56 PM

If you have unlimited data plan with AT&T. Otherwise you pay $39.99 a month. You got 30+ channels

Only problem is no DVR but its supposedly coming sometime this Fall***

Aug 5, 2017, 11:18 PM

Re: Use Directnow for $9.99 a month,

Aug 6, 2017, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Use Directnow for $9.99 a month, ]

I heard from a co-worker that Directnow was very laggy and choppy. He switched to Sling and is happy with the service.

Aug 5, 2017, 11:12 PM

I tried psvue since I still had an old ps3, but it ran like crap on it. The guide was incredibly sluggish and I could notice slight stutters when watching a baseball game. I'm going to give sling a try now.

Using an old PS3 was your problem.

Aug 6, 2017, 12:56 AM

I bought an Amazon firebox, connected it straight to my router with an Ethernet cable, and connected my router to my tv with an Ethernet cable as well. Never had a single problem. My kids could do whatever they wanted on wifi and my Vue performed just as well as cable.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

I had Sling TV last year during football season and

Aug 6, 2017, 12:14 AM

plan to reactivate it in a week or two. Tried the new Hulu for a week and didn't really care for it. I guess I got used to the Sling browsing format and Hulu's was just too different. I also tried the Vue TV for 5 days and liked it ok, but it was much more expensive. The base Sling package + the sports package was only $26.99 and nobody else can touch that price.

Aug 6, 2017, 10:52 AM

If I am using the espn3 app on a Roku is the full lineup of linear TV Espn/2/u programming available or is there a chance a game is broadcasted that you cannot view from the app?

Aug 6, 2017, 11:23 AM

I have had great results and flexibility with sling using a Roku.

Totally agree. Also get an HD antenna to for ABC & CBS games***

Aug 6, 2017, 11:27 AM

Re: Totally agree. Also get an HD antenna to for ABC & CBS games***

Aug 6, 2017, 8:12 PM

That's what I do. I got an HD antenna from WalMart for about $30ish:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/outdoor-tv-antenna

It's the low profile shark fin looking one, and I get all the Greenville and Asheville locals, and occasionally Augusta. It's more than 40 channels- all the NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, plus some oldies channels with Andy Griffith, UNC TV, etc. It's mostly what we watch outside of football season, but if we want a movie, there's a boatload on Amazon Prime (I highly recommend membership just for the free shipping). Mostly we're not big TV watchers outside of the season though.

My problem is we watch a metric crapton of college football- we want all of Clemson, but we also like a lot of non-marquee or southeastern matchups.

Last year Vue was great, but Pac 12 and non-power 5 matchups were sparse. We chose it because it was the same price for the same availability as Sling, and we like the channel guide layout a little better, and it seemed a little smoother loading.
Now they're $5 more than Sling for the same channels, though, so. . .

Hulu Live TV has the CBS sports network, which the others don't have, so I am leaning in that direction, but I read their interface is weird, like a Windows 10 sort of thing, and they just now got their app in beta for Fire TV products, so I worry about its reliability.

I'll probably give the free trial a go the week before the season and see, and will report back if no one else has given them a go.

As far as anything DirecTV/AT&T related. . .not a chance. They're the whole reason for cutting the "cord".

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic