Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about college baseball players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Question about college baseball players

May 10, 2018, 6:27 PM

I was talking to a guy from New Jersey today in Charleston. Around the year of 1997 his high school son wanted to play college baseball. Ray Tanner asked him to come by Cola and work out with the team (I assume during the summer) and maybe walk on. It turned out Ray liked him and told the kid he could walk on in Spring semester but he must enroll the Fall semester prior to walking on to become eligible.
Here is the part that ticked off the father:

Ray told him not to expect any scholarship money until his Junior year.
Also Ray told them he could not have any classes after 12:00PM so he could attend baseball practice/workout.
And he could not have any classes on any Fridays.
He said the kid would have to take a full load both summer session to stay eligible.

This really turned off the family. The kid enrolled at USCjr for the Fall semester but then transferred to Clemson but did not pursuit baseball at CU. The kid hated USCjr but LOVED CU.

Is this typical for college baseball players to have no afternoon classes and no classes on Fridays?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about college baseball players

May 10, 2018, 7:23 PM

not sure about baseball but i know thats how it was for golfers back in the day

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football and baseball

May 10, 2018, 8:20 PM

Block 100. No classes, if one could avoid it, after 1200. Complete HASSLE to schedule anything after that. Like an act of the U.S. Congress. Being a Division 1 athlete is a true privilege and blessing....but it ain’t easy. BillyD #24

May 10, 2018, 8:53 PM

At Clemson it use to be no classes after 2

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D1 Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships

May 10, 2018, 9:45 PM

to use with no more than 27 on the roster. So most college baseball players are on a 1/4 scholarship.
I worked at the USCjr athletic department as a learning assistant for 3 years and their baseball players had to be out of classes by 1pm, I believe. Some had classes that met at night in the off-season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D1 Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships

May 10, 2018, 10:10 PM

Correct except that it’s 27 on scholarship. You are allowed to have 35 on the roster.

Re: D1 Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships

May 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

Thanks. All I remembered was the number 27! I worked mostly with Baseball and Football during my time at USCjr

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I worked as Student Equip Manager w FB

May 10, 2018, 10:02 PM

team from 93-97 and we even had to be done by 2pm everyday. Only classes we had after 1pm were labs that generally started at 645pm. Those labs were filled mostly w atheletes.

My roommate was Equip Mgr w Baseball team and he was on a similar schedule.

Not at all uncommon for atheletes to be required to take early classes.

May 11, 2018, 7:30 AM

Thats how it was in the old days. I recall Leggett telling my son he used to get guys on the team and only pay for their books. Clemson baseball has Lindsey Ricketts who is the academic advisor and she keeps several sports straight in regards to classes including baseball. She handles scheduling, tutoring and advising them on the class load and times. There are practice blocks that are off limits for classes and they get those ahead of selecting their classes. Think about the academic money thats avaliable that assists scholarships and the with team keeping a B average it really helps with money for players to offset expenses.

May 11, 2018, 8:27 AM

The naïveté of posters when it comes to sports never ceases to amaze me.

Did you really think these kids are normal students who just suit up during the games?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 11, 2018, 9:45 AM

Fun fact about how crazy baseball scholarships are. Last season, on Friday nights, the Tigers had 5 guys in the starting lineup that were named All ACC who were not receiving any scholarship money during the 2016-17 school year.

May 11, 2018, 10:10 AM

Correction 4 guys

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic