Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #52 - Tough times for Hootie
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #52 - Tough times for Hootie

May 30, 2013, 11:50 AM

Historic Clemson Photos #52 - Tough times for Hootie

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #52 - Tough times for Hootie

May 30, 2013, 11:53 AM

Good ole Hootie. The guy who decided we shouldn't run down the hill. what a genius move that was

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2013, 2:29 PM

He was full of "genius" moves, but the best one he made was when he finally moved out of Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #52 - Tough times for Hootie ]

His decision to not run down the Hill and to give up the excitement and adrenalin that adds to the atmosphere for the fans and for the players is a monumental mental failure on his part. I think it was Forest Gump who said it best, "stupid is as stupid does".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said it many times before.......

May 30, 2013, 12:00 PM

those of us who endured the late, much-lamented "Hootie Era" deserve some sort of special recognition----thank goodness for basketball and baseball

Additionally, should the "Hootie Era" have occurred after the onset of the internet, it would have greatly thinned out the fanbase---weeding out those who are dedicated to the university in its entirety and those who just want to see a good football program.

Believe me, it was tough sitting in the Valley in those days.

And in true "Peter Principal" fashion, Ingram eventually became Commissioner of the SEC. God knows he couldn't coach a football team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've said it many times before.......not sure if Frank

May 30, 2013, 12:24 PM

or McLellan hired hired hootie. At least McLellan did the right thing and canned him though I think the party line was Hootie resigned

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've said it many times before.......not sure if Frank

May 30, 2013, 2:33 PM

I don't think Frank did it, but whoever made that decision regretted it soon after his arrival.

Hootie was Frank Howard's hand-picked successor

May 31, 2013, 11:07 AM

Ingram was one of the hottest assistant coaches in America at the time, being the top guy on Frank Broyles' Arkansas staff and part of a recent National Title contender.

Just serves to further illustrate why it's difficult to predict the potential success of a great assistant who is promoted to head coach. Some guys (probably most guys) who are great assistants don't have what it takes to be CEO of a major program.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hootie was Frank Howard's hand-picked successor

May 31, 2013, 12:14 PM

I don't know whether Hootie was hand picked by Coach Howard or not. He never told us that, to my recollection, but he probably gave the okay. I remember when he told us he was retiring, and one of the guys who had a little longer hair than Coach Howard liked asked who the next coach would be, and coach said, "I don't know, but he will probably be some young bast--- who'll keep his hair cut". Next thing we knew Hootie was announced. Coach may have known all along and just not wanting to tell us until a formal announcement presser was scheduled. Anyway, Hootie was a disaster, and even most of the starters didn't care for him. Not nearly the man of character Coach Howard was, IMO.

Frank Howard was still AD when Hootie was hired.

May 31, 2013, 5:08 PM

He was head football coach and athletic director simultaneously. Howard retired from coaching in 1969, but remained AD until 1971. As the AD, I thought he hired his successor as head football coach.

Re: Wasn't Frank Howard still AD when Hootie was hired?

May 31, 2013, 5:15 PM

I have vague recollections about the mention of a "search party" for a new coach in the paper in those days--still, Coach Howard HAD to give his nod of approval to Dr. Edwards and Bill McLellan....regardless of who hired "The Hootster", we missed the mark by a wide margin. I've never been so happy to see someone leave a town since Nixon sped away from Greenville after a 1969 parade (Strom, whose plane was late, was bringing up the rear of the parade as onlookers began to fill Main St)

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've said it many times before.......

May 30, 2013, 2:31 PM [ in reply to I've said it many times before....... ]

You should have had to endure playing on his teams. It was awful having to endure that.

I'm a relative newcomer, Red Parker was the coach when we

May 30, 2013, 12:04 PM

moved here from California. I became a Clemson fan immediately and there's been no looking back for me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My time in school at Clemson ... those were the days, LOL.

May 30, 2013, 11:06 PM

We were terrible at practically every sport and had been dominated by SCAR for several years.

By comparison, we are on top of the world today despite our recent luck with the gamecocks.

Soccer in DV

May 31, 2013, 6:27 AM

That was rumored at the time since Ib was on top of the world.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soccer in DV

May 31, 2013, 11:03 AM

As I recall, when this was considered, it was explained that the dimensions of a soccer field were a bit too large to fit comfortably in DV ... the EZ edges of the concrete wall would have had to have been reconfigured to accommodate a soccer field.

And honestly, putting even Clemson's very best soccer teams in DV would have been extreme overkill from an attendance standpoint. Soccer back then as it is today at Clemson was a niche sport with a small, but dedicated fan base.

Glad I missed the "Hootie Era"

May 31, 2013, 7:17 AM

My first game in Death Valley was 1979, Danny Ford's first full season as head coach.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic