Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson has the most fans in the ACC (10th in country)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson has the most fans in the ACC (10th in country)

Sep 19, 2011, 4:13 PM

Clemson has the most fans in the ACC (10th in country)

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

holy crap big 10!!!***

Sep 19, 2011, 4:15 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Was expecting FSU to be higher. Really glad to see

Sep 19, 2011, 4:16 PM

this particular stat!

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

The map and formula they used are far from scientific

Sep 19, 2011, 4:28 PM

It even says it in the article.

Think about it-GT is ranked 11th. They can't fill a 50000 seat stadium but they have 600,000 more fans than UGA who fills a 93,000 seat stadium for every home game?

yeah, uga fan base is much larger than GT

Sep 19, 2011, 4:31 PM

no doubt about it

And More regional. GaTech grads move to all over

Sep 19, 2011, 4:38 PM

Not that some UGA grad do the same, but GaTech grads go where they want.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think their statistics are skewed

Sep 19, 2011, 4:30 PM

I find it really hard to believe that a college of 15,000 is the #10 school in the country in fan base.

I'm not a statistics guru but 30,000 surveys doesn't seem like enough to accurately portray the size of a fan base

Pretty Mickey Mouse to post this, B, especially with that

Sep 19, 2011, 4:35 PM

headline. More fans than Southern Cal? Wisconsin? UGA? UT? FSU?

Come on.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast my friend, it also took attendance into account

Sep 19, 2011, 7:19 PM

and we've been top-20 attendence for close to 30 years

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Hang on Joe--bet geechie's boy Krugman

Sep 20, 2011, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Pretty Mickey Mouse to post this, B, especially with that ]

helped with this....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Sounds like a government survey. Yup, NY Times.***

Sep 19, 2011, 4:41 PM

Re: Football Update: Clemson has the most fans in the ACC (10th in country)

Sep 19, 2011, 4:47 PM

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

What's the next step for ACC expansion? Another pause or two more before the season is over. - JJ

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTBA-MD

Sep 19, 2011, 5:55 PM

I don't know about this poll ,I was born and raised in SC,and now have lived in Atlanta metro 29 years.Where is UGA?I can't believe UGA wouldn't be in front of GA.TECH and a lot of Schools in top ten, including CLEMSON. I am a RABID CLEMSON supporter/fan,but I don't know how accurate this poll is.
MMSSR13

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something went very wrong somewhere...

Sep 19, 2011, 6:36 PM

Anyone who has ever lived in NC knows that Duke has far less football fans than NC State. I'm not sure I've actually ever met a person who cared about Duke football, and I've lived in NC most of my life. Some other things seem quite off as well.

Sep 19, 2011, 7:22 PM

Not sure how accurate these numbers are.

But I wasn't suprised to see the teams that were over rated every year near the top (Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio St)

There aint no way that info is accurate. What about the Vols

Sep 19, 2011, 8:22 PM

The Volunteer nation graduates three times the number of people we do in the same graduating class. Where we may get 3000 new grads each year they get 10,000. They have a stadium that seats over 100,0000 people and they sell out all the time. Where are they on the list? That state is crazy about UT. Take nothing away from the Tiger nation but we are hard pressed to put up those kinds of numbers.

There's no mention of school size & alumni base would affect

Sep 19, 2011, 10:36 PM

the overall numbers. As much as I'd love to believe it, I don't think we have more fans than schools 3 times the size of Clemson. Then again, I'm glad Clemson isn't that big!

yup, yup...they printed it so it must be true.***

Sep 19, 2011, 8:26 PM

Sep 20, 2011, 11:23 AM

Basing anything on Google searches of "college football" is kinda pointless. When was the last time you did a Google search with those terms in it? Might be something that a NYT reporter with more heart for statistics than college football would do. Most fanatics know where to go without Google.

Honestly, as big as New York is, I doubt there are as many college football fans there as in Birmingham, despite what his numbers tell him. Simply look at merchandise in the local stores, and it will tell you much more about where the locals' hearts lie.

Surprised we have more than Georgia.***

Sep 20, 2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for posting! Data far from perfect, but informative.

Sep 20, 2011, 12:16 PM

The author goes out of his way to say that it's not a perfect, scientific analysis and gives his methodology so I don't think you can blame the author for publishing garbage. It's interesting data and probably indicative of the TV-viewing fanbases.

I think it's unfortunate that Swoffie went after new-market schools (Pitt & Syracuse) that rank below the ACC average, rather than going after schools (like Texas & Mizzou) that rank above the ACC average. However, I can now see why TCU (which I advocated) wasn't a target.

That report is severly flawed

Sep 20, 2011, 1:04 PM

Bama fans outnumber Auburn fans almost 2:1 in the state of Alabama.

Any list that is missing Southern Cal, FSU, Nebraska, UGA, Oklahoma, Miami and Tennessee from its top 15 is way off. Because of the population of South Carolina, Clemson has ZERO chance of being ahead of those teams (due not only to population, but also having to split the fanbase with another instate school). Think of it this way, UGA almost has more fans in Atlanta than SC has residents in the entire state, ditto for Southern cal in Los Angeles. Miami has a large national fanbase and though they split the state of Florida with many other schools, still has a very large fanbase. Nebraska and Tennessee have national pulling power as well as not having to split their fanbase in homestate with anyone. Oklahoma and FSU are probably near the top in national fanbase as well.

This survey is way off.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic