Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,182

Football Recruiting

Jun 2, 2014, 1:43 PM

It seems to me that the last 2-3 years we have had excellent recruiting results. It was always my impression that THE reason to emphasize top notch recruiting was to reload after losses of some key players as opposed rebuilding a new team. Apparently I was not well informed as many on this site seem gloomy for the 2014 season with their predictions of our W and L record as do several national outlets.
What am I missing??? I think we go 10-2 and could win those 2 depending on how our D plays

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too many people suffer from SEC envy

Jun 2, 2014, 1:48 PM

They see big guys on SEC lines and no matter how well we recruit think we are weak there. And we all "games are won or lost in the trenches" to those pessimists. So no matter how good we are at skill positions, we'll lose because the SEC has some bigger guys. Or something like that....

They were still talking it up when SEC played FSU

Jun 2, 2014, 4:04 PM

The analysis seems to start and stop, for a lot of the sports guys, on what conference a team was in. So it wasn't Auburn and Auburn's players that were playing FSU, it was SEC players playing ACC guys from FSU. They talked up the "big guys" Auburn had on their lines without bothering to look up the fact that FSU's lines were much bigger than Auburn's. I wouldn't be surprised if the average ACC line was bigger than the average SEC line, but you'd never find that out because it doesn't fit the narrative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Recruiting

Jun 2, 2014, 1:49 PM

I agree with you....if the new parts (QB, RB, etc.)run as smoothly as hoped. The D should be monstrous! Let's hope we don't wilt under big lights!

Jun 2, 2014, 1:54 PM

I know this was somewhat about recruiting so I'll start there. We are having a great recruiting class and have had good classes. The problem with how it translates to projected W/L is because of unproven players. Some guys are super talented but aren't gamers. We need two things to happen for the success you claim this year. Both are entirely possible.
#1 RT and OL in general has to be good. As long as the RT spot is average and have something else to offset (Possibly why Coop is listed as the starter)then that will happen.
#2 Cole has to be above average. He can't just be average, this offense even if it is more run heavy still needs great QB play. If Cole can be another great QB (doesn't have to break records) continues where Tajh left off and even reduce the Turnovers, then we will have success in the form of 10-2 with those 2 being winnable.

Jun 2, 2014, 2:04 PM

Thanks for your response. A few weeks ago as I was getting new tires on my car I met a man who was a relative of Cole's. H e told me:
1.Cole is ready to assume the leadership role as QB at Clemson
2. Cole now weighs in around 235
3. Cole is an even keel guy. Never gets too high and never gets too low
4. Cole understand that he needs to lead the way to less turnovers
5. He will be throwing to our talented receivers more than a few times over the Summer
In short, he's ready for the challenge ahead!!!

Jun 2, 2014, 2:09 PM

I believe he is as well. I have also heard that he is around 230. Good to hear especially since he is still pretty shifty. I am excited to see where he takes us. If Deshaun ends up beating him out then it will mean that he is something special. So best of lucky to everybody but I hope Cole plays the whole year personally.

Jun 2, 2014, 2:18 PM

I agree with you but would only add that I do want to see Deshaun get plenty of playing time even some in key games. I do not believe he will be a RS. Do you?

Jun 2, 2014, 2:21 PM

No he will play, I also like to think that Deshaun is like Cole just a little more athletic and bigger arm. Once he adds weight and gets a year under his belt I think that he will be ALL-ACC caliber next year or even better. I think if he had to play this year then he could push for Frosh All-American. Kid is very very good.

Jun 2, 2014, 2:47 PM

I agree from what I've seen on some film! He's the real deal and appears to be very "cool" in the pocket. doesn't seem to panic at all

The Power of Cole lies in the hands of our Offensive Line.

Jun 2, 2014, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Recruiting ]

Cole will be fine if our OL handle their business and atleat 2 more WRs step into that leadership role.

Re: The Power of Cole lies in the hands of our Offensive Line.

Jun 2, 2014, 5:14 PM

Exactly right..Give Cole time and a good run game, he'll be just fine. But from what I saw in the spring game Robbie Caldwell better plan on packing his lunch this summer because he has work to do to get this group ready..I was not impressed at all with what I saw.

Yep

Jun 2, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Recruiting ]

But I won't even go as far as you go about Stoudt. I just think he has to be a guy who won't lose games for us. We're going to run the ball a lot more this year, and I think that will mean relying much less on the QB to make a play.

Just to reiterate what you said, people aren't "down" on us for next year because of lack of talent, they're down on us because we don't know what to expect from the skill positions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is predicting Clemson to lose 6 games?***

Jun 2, 2014, 3:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Who is predicting Clemson to lose 6 games?***

Jun 2, 2014, 3:06 PM

I have not seen 6 losses predicted but plenty of 4 and 5 losses.

Jun 2, 2014, 5:20 PM

fwiw: I'm not sure if I fall into the category mentioned here, but I'm in the camp of 8-4 to 11-1, depending on Cole and our D. I don't think we can beat all 3 of USUC, UGA, and FSU with FSU being a major obstacle. If we manage to beat FSU at Doak, then we could/should go 12-0. But that will require a lot of luck and maybe a miracle or two.

Jun 2, 2014, 6:04 PM

I personally think this season will be a success. Success meaning winning at least 9 or 10 games, beating the coots, and making a run at the ACC title. We are a serious contender every year now for that title no matter what the experts say. Defense alone can carry you a long way, and IMO ours will be very disruptive this year. A dominant D with a decent to really good offense equals success, and I believe we will have that this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,182
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic