Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Football

Apr 1, 2018, 8:11 AM

Clemson’s success in football this year does not depend on who plays QB. This team can win with any of the four that have a chance to start. Our success depends on the play of the OL.
Can they open holes for the running backs, can they give the QB time to throw down field and will they work as a unit no matter what pieces are on the field.
What’s your take on this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football

Apr 1, 2018, 8:43 AM

I agree on principle; however, the QB’s comfort in the pocket, his calm under pressure, and his ability to anticipate things opening up before he sees them will help in those times when the O-line is struggling for a play, a series, or a game.
Hope that helps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Apr 1, 2018, 3:06 PM

That's a good take.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we can make it to the cfp with average to above average qb play.

Apr 1, 2018, 9:23 AM

I’m afraid we need qb heroics to win the NC. That’s something different between us and Bama. DW had to be legendary to win and he was.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2018, 9:25 AM

Whoever plays QB I hope there is an improvement in the screen game. DW could get the ball out of his hand on screens faster than anyone. KB seemed to be a second slower and DBs were all over our receivers. And of course the downfield passing game needs improvement as well.

Apr 1, 2018, 3:01 PM

When Clemson won the Natty with Watson at the helm in 2017, the O-line crumbled in the first half. The difference in the second half was that Watson was able to get the ball out of his hand with constant pressure in his face. Watson did the same thing his rookie year in the NFL with an awful line and was very successful before his injury. The point being, Bama or whoever we play at the end of the year (if we make the playoffs) is more than likely going to have a dominant defensive front and no matter how good the line is, the QB will have to make plays here and then with pressure in his face and will have to throw into some tight windows.

Apr 1, 2018, 3:03 PM

The QB position is that important^^^

Apr 1, 2018, 3:35 PM

I’m more worried about our secondary getting torched by a mediocre QB like NC state has. The DL can only do so much. Also the lack of depth at that position. Hope they all stay healthy.

Apr 1, 2018, 3:51 PM

Finley is hardly mediocre and I don't see our secondary getting torched by anyone, but you keep trying.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2018, 3:56 PM

True, that wasn’t a great example of a mediocre QB. The guy is pretty good. However, the recent Venables interviews are somewhat concerning. Our secondary seems to always be the weakest part of the D but he seems extremely frustrated this year.

Apr 1, 2018, 3:58 PM

It’s entirely on the success of whoever the QB is. When you have a QB that isn’t a threat throwing the ball, then teams can simply stack the box and stop your running game. That is why Clemson’s offense looked so bad at times last year. KB was such an awful passer. Clemson has never had an elite offensive line under Dabo, and they won’t this year either.

We can win the regular season with any of them.

Apr 1, 2018, 5:32 PM

But not the Natty.

Apr 2, 2018, 1:03 PM

I think whoever emerges in the fall can win the regular season. The question is will they be able to be elite against elite D-lines like bama, Georgia, Ohio State, or even a Washington the way DW4 was? The key here will be converting drives and keeping our own D off of the field. Even the tiger D-line will wear down if they have to play the entire game.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic