Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone with investing advice ? I know everyone has
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 640

Anyone with investing advice ? I know everyone has

Jul 8, 2020, 3:14 PM

has a different situation , but I’m close to retirement and just wondering about the safety of municipal bonds .

Any and all suggestions are appreciated .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone with investing advice ? I know everyone has

Jul 8, 2020, 3:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy low

Jul 8, 2020, 3:22 PM

Sell high

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Has anyone ever told you about Burn Lounge?***

Jul 8, 2020, 3:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would buy weapons, ammo, and cocaine in that order***

Jul 8, 2020, 3:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you asking if mutual funds are safe?

Jul 8, 2020, 3:28 PM

No. Have you seen the liquidity of water?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Not an expert, please consult your advisor. But, my first

Jul 8, 2020, 3:41 PM

thought is that they are safe enough but that the rates are not quite as good as cd's, and in retirement the tax break is likely not worth the lower rate and longer term vs the cd. Muni safety is of course determined by the health of the issuer, and an advisor can help interpret the ratings.

A lot of people who were holding cash before this downturn are still holding it, cd rates and bonds not being worth tying up the cash at this point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not an expert, please consult your advisor. But, my first

Jul 8, 2020, 4:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. The question was about safety, and if one is seeking

Jul 8, 2020, 9:30 PM

saftey on a return that low, cds are backed by the US citizenry, who lately seem willing to go along with trillions of new spending on top of trillions of new spending.

Follow reddit/wsb

Jul 8, 2020, 4:00 PM

#YOLO

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

Don't fight the fed...

Jul 8, 2020, 4:02 PM

as long as JPow keeps propping up markets, specifically the bond markets, load up. Just be ready to off load as the Fed starts reducing the balance sheets.

Jul 9, 2020, 7:52 PM

What does stock market do if Biden is elected?

Jul 9, 2020, 7:55 PM

The easiest way in is municipal bond funds

Jul 10, 2020, 1:12 AM

instead of individual bonds. I believe there are funds targeted to each state so they are mostly non-taxable for state, local, and federal (you still get some capital gains from the fund trading bonds). Whether or not it makes sense to buy them now, I don't know. I held one in the past more to learn about it than anything else.

Re: The easiest way in is municipal bond funds

Jul 10, 2020, 1:31 AM

As I get closer to retirement I have a mix of stocks and

Jul 10, 2020, 3:57 AM

bonds. I am about 10 years out and last year went to 80% stocks 20% bonds. My thought is that if there is a recession I can ride it out before I change my mix. If something bad happens and I need cash I can sell the bonds instead of selling stocks when they are low. The bonds probably will have held their value more. Then I'll rebalance on the other side of the recession.

Somewhere around 5 years from retirement I'll got to 60/40 and somewhere around retirement I'll go to 40/60. Until late last year I was 100% aggressive growth for 30 years. Now my stock portfolio is no longer aggressive and it is mostly S&P 500. I have about 30 individual stocks, I copy a fund (for a fee). By copying the fund, I can sell in December for tax purposes and rebalance the portfolio in Feb. This gives me a tax advantage over just having a mutual fund.

Bonds - I invest in mostly corporate bonds. I have a mix of about 20 bonds and they mature at different times. I have all investment grade bonds but all on the lower end BBB, BBB- or BBB+ (S&P rating) Yields are still pretty good and it builds a little cash for taxes and whatever. I'll switch and move into AA or better bonds as I get into retirement. I will also have more bonds. To lower risk, I'll buy more bonds 30 or 40 or 50 if need be.

If you want less risk stick with AAA bonds or AA or AA+ (S&P rating) corporate bonds or AAA municipal bonds. If you have enough different bonds, you can add a few lower rated bonds to get a bit better interest if you want. Municipal bonds are the least risky. If you want peace of mind and don't want risk then Treasury Bonds or AAA municipal bonds are where you need to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As I get closer to retirement I have a mix of stocks and

Jul 10, 2020, 11:15 AM

Replies: 16
| visibility 640
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic