Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So the coots thought it would be a good idea to .......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

So the coots thought it would be a good idea to .......

Aug 25, 2018, 6:03 PM

tear up their field with a concert a week before their first game and have to strip the dead sod and re-sod with "special" sod. I've got news for them. There is no such thing as special sod. It may be cut a little thicker, but it's still Bermuda sod. They are not doing it because of a natural occurance or groundskeeper's misapplication of chemicals, etc. but they had planned on it. For their players and Costal's, I hope it doesn't cause problems.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So the coots thought it would be a good idea to .......

Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 PM

They have a built in excuse for losing to Coastal.

Aug 25, 2018, 6:20 PM

We won the National Championship on a field where the sod had been replaced a week earlier and the weather wasn't near as good for Bermuda grass growth.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/college-football-playoff-dig-deep-into-the-tale-of-the-turf-at-raymond/2308648

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

But we're talking about

Aug 26, 2018, 1:21 AM

South Carolina. No way they can get it right.

They'll probably try to water it in with melted down doo doo ice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2018, 3:08 AM [ in reply to Re: So the coots thought it would be a good idea to ....... ]

One would think that a pro stadium is probably set up somewhat better for those turnarounds than a college one.

Aug 25, 2018, 6:21 PM

I can’t imagine a real school destroying their field a week before the season. Hope they got a lot of money for that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2018, 6:34 PM

And to think they snubbed The Rolling Stones in '89 AFTER the Clemson game because they didn't want to "sully" their field, so The Boys came to Tigertown and LIT IT UP!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either. Can you imagine a real SEC football school like

Aug 25, 2018, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: So the coots thought it would be a good idea to ....... ]

Bama, UGA or Auburn allowing their field to be torn up a week before the season starts. Really Sad.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First off, no you don’t. Second, coots suck. Third,

Aug 25, 2018, 6:50 PM

I would advise you not to speak about sod technology if you’re not really up on the subject. It’s clear that you don’t have a grasp on what’s possible. Read, my friend. Read a lot

Re: First off, no you don’t. Second, coots suck. Third,

Aug 26, 2018, 1:01 AM

Thank you my friend ........... Over the last forty I have laid millions of square feet of sod, mostly Bermudagrass, and presently have a project that will be using just under a million sq. ft. In the next month. The question isn't "can it be done", but "why do it". Other venues have done it because they had to on very short notice which they had planned, while others had some catostrophic event or mismanagement. Some indoor soccer events lay the sod a couple of days before the event. So yes, it can be done. Fresh sod is never as stable as grass that has been there for a long time.

The fact that Ray Tanner didn't even know what it cost, other than a ballpark figure tells me a little something! But hey, it was a "world class tour"!

Re: First off, no you don’t. Second, coots suck. Third,

Aug 26, 2018, 2:03 AM

I forget to mention that most Major college fields are but using PAT (Prescription Athletic Turf). Basically it means that the fields are constructed like a golf green .... Drainage pipes (usually 4" perforated plastic), overlaid with several inches of gravel, and then about 12" of a sand/peatmoss/ soil (small percentage). A few use pumps to suck out the excess water (I.e Omaha World Series field). Placing thick sod not grown on the same soil is a very bad idea and I doubt that the Coots sod was grown the same material.

I’m sure this concert was a last minute thing and

Aug 26, 2018, 2:47 AM

the coots couldn’t have planned on tearing out old sod right after the concert. It probably took them all by surprise... and the cost... I’m sure they had no idea! Heck, they probably lost money on the whole deal.

Or. They had this planned 6 months ago and we just think it’s “odd” to do this so close to the opening of the season. Let’s just hope for the best. I mean, why not?

Aug 25, 2018, 6:54 PM

they are going to tear it up and re sod it any way

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2018, 3:33 AM

I believe the same thing happened two or three seasons ago at the Cockroach. Their field was crap all year long. They were basically playing on green spray painted dirt.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic