Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Firing a coach is about to get VERY expensive...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 3,838

Firing a coach is about to get VERY expensive...

Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 PM

looks like in a year or two the NCAA will allow carte blanche transfers (no sit out year required) when a head coach leaves or the school is sanctioned..

and we thought buyouts themselves had gotten out of control..

it seems to me that this rule change will enrich coaches enormously, as if they could be enriched more than they are now. "Hey.. bump me by a mil, or I think I will take that call next time Joe AD calls".

Kinda dampens the excitement of recruiting a bit. The 5* playing for you this year might be playing against you next year.

Oh well, as long as everybody has to deal with the same rules, spot the ball and get it on.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/proposal-to-let-athletes-transfer-instantly-after-a-coaching-change-picks-up-steam/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They'll have to go back to unlimited schollies per year

Jan 30, 2018, 12:46 PM

If 50 kids leave a program when a coach leaves, and you only get 25, you can barely field a team.

Re: They'll have to go back to unlimited schollies per year

Jan 30, 2018, 3:24 PM

works the other way too. if the school the coach is going to only has 15 opening, just what those 50 that were leaving all dont have a home with the new coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think as many will transfer as you might expect***

Jan 30, 2018, 4:45 PM [ in reply to They'll have to go back to unlimited schollies per year ]

Re: Firing a coach is about to get VERY expensive...

Jan 30, 2018, 2:04 PM

I'm a fan of the change - not as much for retiring coaches that are upfront about their plans during recruiting, but I feel for the kids that were recruited to play for a guy, and after a bad season, the school punts on the coach and leaves the kids in a lurch.

To me, this is showing a deepening of the relationship between coach and players, which is often more important than the bond between school and players.

If I could make tweak the rule though, I would let the players follow the coach without a penalty, but not give a 'free pass' to any school.

Just my 2 cents.

I would definitely not be in favor of that. You could

Jan 30, 2018, 2:17 PM

literally have the old coach cherry picking what he considered his best players from his old school to go with him to his new school. You could even wind up with a situation where the old school no longer has enough players to field a decent team. (Not to mention the players at new school that could get "bumped" for better talent.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the Rule hasn't been

Jan 30, 2018, 2:24 PM

Finalized, then I'd suspect an exiting coach would not be allowed to sign players from his former program. Aside from that condition, it's probably a fine rule...I don't think it will cause a mass exodus, since the players will need a landing spot...and that's not guaranteed. Could be a fun 'free agency' period late each year, though!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This rule could ruin college football

Jan 30, 2018, 2:22 PM

There was a reason the transfer rule was written

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good. This is supposed to be about the kids anyway

Jan 30, 2018, 2:37 PM

It probably wouldn't be good for college football, but I think you could make an argument that there should be no restrictions at all on transfers.

That will never happen.

Jan 30, 2018, 4:05 PM

The conference commissioners have a voice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it will be one of the dumbest moves ever made...... key

Jan 30, 2018, 5:03 PM

players could wield power over the AD to get rid of a coach also "We're all transferring if you don't....". There is nothing wrong with the 1 year rule... make it where it doesn't burn a year of eligibility, make it where conferences/schools can't limit by not not releasing/adding a 2nd year of sitting out; hell- make it where the guys that just signed but haven't enrolled can be released without the year but don't f this up where everybody is a free agent every year- even the pros don't do that-- you think the one and done has ruined the sport of college basketball, just wait and see what this would do to football; killing the goose is all this is going to do

kids need to be focused more on the school not the coach not the other way around

Well, really very early in the article it reads

Jan 30, 2018, 5:34 PM

"Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job" so players don't have leverage to get a coach fired.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 3,838
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic