Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

FB Update: Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic

Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 AM

Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can respect that "To be the man, you have to beat the man"

Jan 27, 2015, 9:01 AM

WOOOOOOOO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fine w/ me. We play better as underdogs.

Jan 27, 2015, 9:02 AM

That being said, didn't Athlon predict the coots would win the National Title two years ago?

FSU will still be a good team next year. Beating them will

Jan 27, 2015, 9:07 AM

make it even sweeter !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Athlon ranks Clemson #2 in ACC Atlantic

Jan 27, 2015, 9:56 AM

Until we can beat them we are second.
Last year I think our team was better than FSU but we didn't beat them.

They've got a bit of a rebuild job this year

Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 AM

I like our chances.

Clemson has a huge rebuild job as well

Jan 27, 2015, 12:19 PM

losing 8 Seniors from the #1 defense, losing 3 starters at OLine, when the OLine was only barely adequate to begin with. Gotta find a true #1 RB. Gotta keep Glass Joe...I mean Deshaun Watson healthy all year. Clemson has tons of questions as well.

"Tons of questions" might be a stretch...

Jan 28, 2015, 12:01 AM

As a whole, this is going to be an improved team next year. You don't *need* the #1 defense to be a winner. Top 25 will suffice. Maybe even top 30 with this offense.

Candidly Clemson fans have "over-inflated" expectations

Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 AM

for 2015.

Serious questions at QB (injury prone), OL, DL and LB - other than that we look solid.

Talented back-ups? Every team can claim that. That talent is not worth much until proven on the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Candidly Clemson fans have "over-inflated" expectations

Jan 27, 2015, 10:55 AM

I think our expectations are subdued!
on the DL we have 3 returning that started at least 1 game. Shaq Lawson, Carlos Watkins and DJ Reader.
on the OL we have 4 returning that started at least 1 game. Battles, Norton, Guerlermo, MacLain.
at LB we have 2 returning that started at least 1 game. + Wiggins at nickel

Using that criteria, most teams have experience returning.

Jan 27, 2015, 11:03 AM

Tigers are one injury away from starting a true freshman QB at Miami, at Loiusville and at USuC.

Yea, but MacClain and Norton suck, sure, they've started a

Jan 27, 2015, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Candidly Clemson fans have "over-inflated" expectations ]

game. That doesnt make them true starting caliber. They're horrible.

Of those three things, OL is the only one that scares me

Jan 27, 2015, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Candidly Clemson fans have "over-inflated" expectations ]

We've got some proven guys on the DL that should be able to generate a pass rush.

At LB, we've got a lot of guys with experience. Just a matter of figuring out who the best 3-4 are.

On OL, I am definitely concerned. We're still not quite there on the talent front, as far as who will probably end up starting. We do have some experience, but I fear it'll be 2016 or 2017 until we see these new hogs we've been recruiting take over and do much better.

I love the guys we got ... can they develop the chemistry

Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 AM

and discipline on defense to stop Tech and FSU?

Can the offense avoid TO's and make big plays in crunch time.

We have seen some flashes of back-ups looking bright. Just saying,we have about 8 positions that need to be proven.

From a recruiting "base", Clemson is in the best position in the last 25 years to fill those positions.

I agree, the OLine is going to be a clusterf*ck next year,

Jan 27, 2015, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Of those three things, OL is the only one that scares me ]

but the DL and LB, there's enough talent and some experience there that the dropoff wont be very much. It'll be some but not a lot. Afterall, nobody is Vic or Grady. I expect the defense to still be top 20-25 overall this year. OLine is a very HUGE trouble spot. Guillermo and Crowder are strength upgrades from last year in run blocking, but they sucked balls last year in pass blocking and blitz pickups. Battle is average and cannot gain any weight. MacClain/Norton at the other Guard spot is a huge weakness, one is slower than mud and the other is weak. Joe gore at RT is abysmal. He lost his jog to a Guard playing Tackle, that's how bad he is. So, does that elevate Hyatt or Maverick Morris to starting RT? Yikes. Going with a true freshman or RS Fr at starting RT is a very risky move.

Re: I agree, the OLine is going to be a clusterf*ck next year,

Jan 27, 2015, 12:42 PM

#### coot

Yep-must have forgot including jet sweeps 400 yds on ground***

Jan 27, 2015, 2:13 PM

Doesn't matter. He's spot on in his analysis.

Jan 27, 2015, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree, the OLine is going to be a clusterf*ck next year, ]

MacLain IS bad. Gore IS too. Those are the facts, it's what we've got.

Hopefully they work their tails off this Summer and improve, but I think that their ceiling is probably a lot lower than some of the others on the line. Those two could spend every minute of every day preparing for next season between now and then and still not be great linemen.

So if we're stuck with them, can we scheme around this deficiency? Or do we get stuck fielding a true freshman (ugh)? We'll be OK against the Wake Forests and the Syracuse of the world, but that won't cut it against FSU, Lou, etc.

Either way, I look forward to seeing Watson do his thing. You don't need an outstanding OL when you've got a QB like that.

"from a unit that led the nation in fewest yards per play

Jan 27, 2015, 1:26 PM

allowed"?

Now they had to go out of their way to not write "the #1 defense in the nation"--way less verbose than what was used. Makes it sound like an asterisk and not something we earned.

Still no respect.

Jan 27, 2015, 1:51 PM

I like the offense we ran against Oklahoma in the Bowl game. Just proved we didn't Morris calling the plays that we fussed about all season. Elliot, and Scott made Stoudt look like a Heisman candidate that night. Clemson will be #1 in ACC this year, I don't care what a sports writer says

Jan 28, 2015, 12:25 AM

Great Point There. I like how Coach Dabo is using the coaches within his system. Giving valuable skill players valuable one on one much needed coaching techniques that will help elevate their game. A personal Qb coach for Qb's has been and will be a jewel for this upcoming season. A eye in the sky and a eye on the ground at the same time. With two offensive coordinators piloting & guiding the offense, "We Can't Miss". I also like how C. Dabo give our players the opportunity to teach and coach the youth football camps. This is valuable playing knowledge as well as valuable:
; not only scheme knowledge, but embedded knowledge by teaching. Once the fall comes around, all these guys need to do is be physically ready. They will know must, if not all of their playbook due to hands on training during the high school camps. Great edge for a determining to succeed player. By the way our coaches are working, training, and coaching just as hard as our players. With that said, this will be a match made in Heaven when it comes to SUCCESS for new group of TIGERS

A group of Tigers isn't a Pack

Jan 28, 2015, 1:03 AM

Good points, but I wanted to correct one thing. A group of tigers is called a streak; as in the winning streak we will have this coming year.

Alternately, a group of tigers is called an ambush; as in what we will do to FSU.

Go Tigers!

Re: A group of Tigers isn't a Pack

Jan 28, 2015, 1:31 AM

Thanks for the correction. My main point is that our coaches will have this new group of TIGERS ready to ATTACK.

Jan 27, 2015, 4:48 PM

Like they're in the know! Athlon sucks!

Bet against DW? Sure, go ahead...

Jan 28, 2015, 12:39 AM

Good luck with that.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive