Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finally some action as a result of Isaiah Crowells post!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Finally some action as a result of Isaiah Crowells post!

Jul 13, 2016, 2:02 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/police-union-threatens-to-pull-officers-from-browns-games-after-controversial-post/

IMO Isaiah Crowell should be suspended by the NFL or the Browns for at least 6 games. Sorry is not enough anymore these athletes need to realize they are not entitled citizens just because they can play sports!

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finally some action as a result of Isaiah Crowells post!

Jul 13, 2016, 2:19 PM

He needs to be fired immediately!!! The NFL has become a home for plenty of Thugs with all their beds habits and problems. The NFL is developing into an accident waiting to happen. I would not waste my hard earned cash to watch a bunch of overpaid thugs. Of course there are many exceptions but far too many are as I describe

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold your 'taters.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:43 PM

> He needs to be fired immediately!!!

He can't be, that would be a violation of his constitutional right to say dumb stuff.

Funny how people want the constitution for themselves, but not so much for others.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO the constitution's freedom of speech figured people would not

Jul 13, 2016, 2:48 PM

Abuse it. For example if someone threatens to cause you bodily harm is this illegal or freedom of speech. I think the writers of the constitution figured people would use common sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hold your 'taters.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Hold your 'taters. ]

The constitution only applies to what the federal government can't do, not the private sector.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

He has a constitutional right to play in the NFL? Wow!***

Jul 13, 2016, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Hold your 'taters. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Absolutely not.

Jul 13, 2016, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Hold your 'taters. ]

Inflamitory speech is not protected. You are not protected by the constitution if you yell fire in a crowded theatre. Speach which starts a riot or inflames a riotious crowd is not protected. Everybody has a right to safety. Any speech which threatens another's safety is not protected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funnny how a Columbia fireman and a

Jul 13, 2016, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Hold your 'taters. ]

Richland county EMS worker were both fired for making social media comments about black lives matter. Why the double standard? Crowell should be suspended at a minimum.

Re: Funnny how a Columbia fireman and a

Jul 13, 2016, 9:06 PM

they were just saying what most other people were thinking! I certainly would not run over them but something has to be don e to clear the roads!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Constitution just says no laws can be made against speech

Jul 14, 2016, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Hold your 'taters. ]

doesnt say a private employer cant impose their own sanctions

Jul 13, 2016, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally some action as a result of Isaiah Crowells post! ]

That attitude gets innocent people killed. We can't forgive one person's mistake and whole the next person's feet to the fire. Especially when didn't kill anyone.

You (Crowell) protest because you want consequences for others

Jul 13, 2016, 2:23 PM

actions, then act shocked when there is consequences for your actions.
Irony, it ain't just a river in Egypt.

Message was edited by: RenegadeTiger®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

I am for freedom of speech and peoples rights to express their

Jul 13, 2016, 2:37 PM

own opinions. If the NFL sets certain rules to follow by playing in the NFL Crowell has agreed to follow those rules. If he does not want to follow the NFL rules and guidelines he can quit playing football.

Freedom of speech comes with some consequences.

I agree totally.***

Jul 13, 2016, 2:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am for freedom of speech and peoples rights to express their

Jul 13, 2016, 3:45 PM [ in reply to I am for freedom of speech and peoples rights to express their ]

I agree. If the NFL has rules against such behavior and he agree to and violated them, then they can fire him as many times as they like....for breach of contract.

Re: You (Crowell) protest because you want consequences for others

Jul 13, 2016, 3:31 PM [ in reply to You (Crowell) protest because you want consequences for others ]

Neither is de nile

That's a slippery slope.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:23 PM

If the NFL wants to come up with some discipline, that's fine. I have no idea what the precedent for dumb social media posts is. Police unions threatening not to work games sends a bad message though. Do they not serve and protect every citizen? Aren't there a lot of people at Browns' games who aren't Crowell?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a slippery slope.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:46 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong but how many times you gonna get punched in the face before you fight back?

Athletes are coddled way too much as is and social media is such a huge part of everyday life these days...someone with such a high profile, like his,should be punished for posting something that wretched and reckless on a public forum. Just like police aren't professional athletes held to a higher standard and supposed to role models for younger generations?

If he had posted something offensive about homosexuals, he would've been drawn and quartered by now.

Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:40 PM

It allows speech we don't agree with.

damm constitution, gets in the way of everthing.

:)

So this is acceptable?

Jul 13, 2016, 2:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: So this is acceptable?

Jul 13, 2016, 3:16 PM

No, it's ugly and stupid. But it's constitutionally protected free speech.

Hey, if you gonna love the 2nd amendment you gotta love the 1st too. ;)

Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.***

Jul 13, 2016, 3:23 PM

Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.***

Jul 13, 2016, 3:32 PM

Oh hail yes it does. What do you think "Constitutionally protected right" means?

The Browns or the NFL are not going to fire them.

If they coulda, they woulda, because they can't.

You should be glad of that...

How old are you?

Jul 13, 2016, 4:22 PM

Do you have a job? I challenge you to write anything on social media that says:

I hate all (the N word)!

I am going to kill all you (insert ethnicity here) at work!

The (insert CEO's name here) of this company is a stupid, cheating, (insert offensive religious or ethnic statement here), and someone should kill him!

I guarantee you will not have a job for long, once someone sees it, and get's a lot of publicity around it.

Constitutional Free Speech ABSOLUTELY doesn't keep your from being fired.

Unless you are a professor.... :)

Go Tigers!

It means you wont be arrested for saying dumb stuff.

Jul 13, 2016, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.*** ]

You sure as hell can be fired though.

Once again, Curt Schilling was fired because he said things

Jul 13, 2016, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.*** ]

that went "against" ESPN policy. He didn't threaten anyone, it was an opinion. He had the right to say them without being persecuted by the US Govt., he did not, however, have the right to keep working when ESPN fired him. Why should the NFL be any different? It's a business.

Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.***

Jul 13, 2016, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.*** ]

Remember Curt Shilling?
You can be fired for what you say .

Then why did that firefighter get fired?

Jul 13, 2016, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired.*** ]

http://www.firehouse.com/news/12231006/columbia-sc-firefighter-loses-job-over-blm-protest-comments-firefighter-news

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you understand either amendment.***

Jul 13, 2016, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: So this is acceptable? ]

So Curt Schilling gets his job back at ESPN? The 1st Amend.

Jul 13, 2016, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

gives you the right to say it, not the right to dodge the consequences of saying it.

Message was edited by: RenegadeTiger®

That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting

Jul 13, 2016, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

To kill police. Free speech my ###.

Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting

Jul 13, 2016, 3:26 PM

Horse pucky. Do you get upset when the KKK has rallies advocating the killing of black people, Jews, Catholics and virtually everyone with a full set of teeth?

All I'm saying is that if the only speech allowed was speech that was "acceptable" then there's no such thing as free speech.

You can hate him, write bad things about him and give him the finger if you want to. But you can't fire him....and the NFL knows that.

The Constitution is powerful precisely because it protects ALL Americans, not just middle aged Christian white guys. :)

Freedom isn't always easy, but it's the best plan out there.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:28 PM

Yes you can....its best you stop before you dig yourself a deeper hole. The constitution only protects you from the government, not employers.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

This might be some of the dumbest drivel I've seen on here. They can absolutely fire him if they see fit just as Paula Deen was fired just as Curt schilling was fired etc.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:41 PM

> This might be some of the dumbest drivel I've seen on
> here. They can absolutely fire him if they see fit
> just as Paula Deen was fired just as Curt schilling
> was fired etc.

Paula Dean was not fired, the Food Network announced that her contract would not be renewed once it expired. But it had to be allowed to expire. Shilling was fired for being an idiot who had been warned a dozen times about his tastelessness.

I promise you, if the NFL fires him, he'll sue the bejeezus out of them. He will argue that it was political speech.

It's ugly and offensive, but freedom for one means freedom for all when it comes to political speech.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:46 PM

Just stop, you're making yourself look even more ignorant of the constitution.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-08-03/where-free-speech-goes-to-die-the-workplace

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123024596

Cromwell signed a contract saying that he'd adhere

Jul 13, 2016, 5:10 PM

To certain rules in order to receive that huge salary.....Ya gotta believe the NFLPU probably isn't going to go to bat for him unless they're convinced of winning the case

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2016, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

> Just stop, you're making yourself look even more
> ignorant of the constitution.
>

Your right, I was wrong. I was thinking of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which extends certain protections into the private sector and got them confused in my mind. I made a logical leap in error.

Thanks for being clear about that.

Go Tigers!

Jul 13, 2016, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

I hope you really don't believe that, if you do walk into your job tomorrow and say we should kill all the managers in this company and see how long you hang around for. Your right you will not be arrested but you will find yourself fired.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:43 PM

Of course you would. The constitution doesn't guarantee you the right to threaten the managers at your job. That's not speech, thats a threat.

But if you go into work and tell them that it is your heartfelt belief that they should offer transgender bathrooms, and they fire you? You'll own the company.

wrong again, please stop, do a google search on constitution

Jul 14, 2016, 8:01 AM

and how it is applied. You are making yourself look so stupid

You don't understand the first amendment.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

No one has advocating that he be arrested by the government. Some are saying he should be kicked out of the NFL or released by the Browns.

People get fired for saying things that are inappropriate every single day. Your protected right of free speech does not mean everyone and everything associated with you must deal with the consequences.

null

Jul 13, 2016, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

I oppose any group or individual that trys to incite violence, and that's exactly what he did with that post. You yourself characterized it as a threat in a post below.

Are you unaware of the tremendous amount of influence these athletes have not to mention some have gang affiliations? Call to arms is more like it.

Jul 13, 2016, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

%%%@@#

Jul 13, 2016, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not free speech that's reckless....that's suggesting ]

Here is my freedom of speech!
Your comment about middle aged white guys just shows you know nothing of true Christians!
Your comment was ignorant and stupid!

The 1st amendment protects him from being

Jul 13, 2016, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

jailed by the government, not public criticism or negative repercussions from an employer. Why do people not understand this? Do we not teach this in Social Studies anymore?

yeah, ask Tim Hardaway about it...If you can find him***

Jul 13, 2016, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment.

Jul 13, 2016, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

People seem to think that the 1rst amendment only works one way. People can say any stupid thing they want without repercussion. I also have the right to tell them that what they said is stupid!
Also it is illegal to threaten murder! That may not be that slippery of a slope to punish.
I do not think he should be fired but I do think a fine and or suspension guys the crime.
Heck they went bisirk over the amount of air in a ball..........

Re: Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment.

Jul 13, 2016, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

Only two amendments matter, 2nd and 5th. The rest are bs. Freedom of speech only goes one way, see firefighter that was terminated in cola for similar actions.

Yea but....

Jul 13, 2016, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

just because you can say something doesn't mean that you should.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This has zero to do with the 1st Amendment

Jul 13, 2016, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Funny thing about that dang 1st Amendment. ]

Nobody is asking to government to do a #### thing

Screw that, let him play

Jul 13, 2016, 2:56 PM

Then the Browns can donate his check to the police dept. Let him do some ride alongs with the officers on third shift for a few weeks. Then let's see what he posts online.

Jul 13, 2016, 3:44 PM

If they're required to do that as a public service & refuse, they should be fired without benefits. If it's a private detail, I have no problem with it. I'm going to assume this is a public service but if it turns out this is completely private, disregard my post.

The thing that makes the police what they are is that they rise above the outside noise in times like this. Regardless of whether a shooting was justified or a mistake, when they are protested, they still protect the people protesting against them. This was evidenced in Dallas last week, and in other occurrences in the past. They are here to serve & protect and they don't get to choose who they serve & protect regardless of how vile the opposition is. That's what makes the police the institution it is.

What Crowell posted was hideous and he deserves MASSIVE levels of criticism. The fact that this hasn't gotten more coverage is ridiculous. When Eagles WR Riley Cooper got drunk at a concert and called a bouncer a racial slur, it was talked about for days! Crowell's mishap, even if it was a mishap, deserves more attention. Whether he deserves to be suspended, cut, fined, whatever, is up to other people. But it deserves to be talked about the way other instances have been talked about.

With that said, police are supposed to be above this. Their ability to still do what's right, even when people are spitting in their faces, is what has kept them in tact for all these years. If this policemen were to walk away from their post due to this, it be an extremely bad sign of things to come.

Jul 13, 2016, 6:12 PM

I was thinking about the police who walked away from their duty at the WNBA game the other night and at first I certainly see their point, but after thinking more about it, I became disappointed in them. Their duty was not to protect the players who were wearing debatably offensive t-shirts for warmups. Their duty was to provide security, to protect and serve those in and around the arena, and they simply failed in that duty by allowing their emotions to get the best of them. To walk away from a duty to serve several thousand (and yes, that may be a charitable number for a WNBA game) over a dozen or so that offend you exposes some poor judgment that should be dealt with.

As for this scenario, the police force does not exactly have jurisdiction to tell the ball club exactly how to punish Crowell. And even if it is voluntary public service, I could understand them deciding to make the team provide their own paid security detail, but again, they are their not as representatives for the team or the players, but as those who would protect and serve those in and around the stadium.

As for Crowell, I have little use for him and hope that his legally prepared apology does not fool too many. He has shown himself on multiple occasions to lack character and judgment, and this instance (as someone who represents and organization and a city) should merit dismissal in my opinion, but as you stated, that is someone else's job.

You do know that work is paid work, not part

Jul 13, 2016, 8:06 PM

Of their job. None of the cops have to work anything like that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do know that work is paid work, not part

Jul 14, 2016, 6:05 PM

But if they agreed to show up for their "paid" work and then walked off, they are neglecting much more than the players that offended them or the organization that allowed the players to do it.

they were off-duty officers working on their OFF time, if

Jul 13, 2016, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally some action as a result of Isaiah Crowells post! ]

you had bothered to read an article, you would know that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a dare to those saying there are no consequences to anything

Jul 13, 2016, 5:59 PM

you say... that you can't be fired, because the Constitution protects free speech. At the next company meeting, stand up and tell an off-color or racist joke. Or comment on how the new receptionist has a huge rack and you'd love to motorboat those bad boys.

I triple dog dare you.

Yes, you have the right to say it. And you also have the right to start looking for another job the next day.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Yell "FIRE," in a crowded public building and...

Jul 13, 2016, 8:26 PM

you'll face the judge. The post was inflammatory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic