Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ferrell just solved the QB controversy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Ferrell just solved the QB controversy

Jul 19, 2018, 8:01 PM

“Maybe he didn’t play as well as Trevor in the spring game and whatnot, but Kelly clearly was the better quarterback as far as the whole spring as a whole,” Ferrell said at The Westin in downtown Charlotte on Thursday afternoon. “Trevor showed some great things in the spring, but it was just a mental jump that he had to make; and he did have some struggles that a lot of people don’t really see.”

“I feel like Kelly was definitely still the more ready quarterback after the end of the spring. Definitely,” Ferrell said. “He’s a senior. He has more trust in his teammates. He knows the system. And he showed his skill and his talent through his ability to run. He’s worked really hard … He just looked comfortable. Everything flowed smoothly with him.”

http://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article215185260.html?__twitter_impression=true

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ferrell just solved the QB controversy

Jul 19, 2018, 8:06 PM

He’s just supporting the starter. Nuk was doing the same thing last year before Deshaun took over in Houston

No need to cause a controversy at the acc media day

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was surprised at his response in the interview with

Jul 19, 2018, 8:14 PM

Luginbill stressing more than once that the whole team is behind Kelly Bryant. I understand just supporting the starter, but Lawrence is a teammate also and hope TL doesn't get the feeling that the whole team is behind the other guy.

Re: I was surprised at his response in the interview with

Jul 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

They are though. Trevor will get his time but right now THIS is KB2’s moment. The team is behind him, they think he had a great Spring, and he is a senior and knows the system. Until proven otherwise he is our starter and it is only his job to lose. He could come out and have an amazing senior farewell and we not see TL much of if not any until next year. Next year will be TL’s full team. For right now let’s suppport KB. Go Tigers!!!

He was a great QB last year. First year and led us to #1

Jul 19, 2018, 8:36 PM

rank, ACC Title and playoff. Has he not been injured vs Syracuse, we would have won that game. I do think the verdict that he has no downfield passing game is exaggerated a bit. I think he was better at that than people gave him credit for. However, it seemed to get slightly worse as the season progressed. It was almost as if it got into his head. Against Bama, his passing game was not good enough to win, but join a list of every single other quarterback in the country there. HE also had at least a couple of drops in the Bama game by Cain, or that could have been much more interesting.

What I worry about is the long stretches of game in which we do not have drives and some of those series started at midfield! Our offensive stats were lower than Wake Forest and we play in the same division, with one major difference. Wake's offense has Clemson's defense on their schedule and our offense has Wake's defense on the schedule. Still Wake rated higher. Heck they scored 55 vs Texas AM to beat the Aggies in the bowl game.

My concern is also that I firmly believe it will take more offense than Bryant has been giving to beat Texas Am in College Station. If Lawrence is not the starter by that time, and he probably won't be, then the staff needs to have him ready to play and not be hesitant about putting him in. You only have so many series to squander if the writing is on the wall in that game. I just believe Watson should have started from game 1 in 2014. I now the big difference as pointed out on SPN tonight is that Stoudt had not taken Clemson to the playoff the year before Watson's arrival and Bryant has done that. Bryant has a lot of equity so to speak, but I believe we are going to need Lawrence in College Station whether he starts of not.

According to posts I have seen here and to Ferrell, Bryant had the better Spring. I'm sure that may be true and the spring game may have been the exception. But if Bryant continues to play like the spring game, then we will have trouble scoring in many, many games.

Re: He was a great QB last year. First year and led us to #1

Jul 19, 2018, 8:46 PM

Did he lead us to a #1? Or did the defense.

Very Good Point***

Jul 19, 2018, 8:51 PM

Re: Very Good Point***

Jul 19, 2018, 9:10 PM

I don't dislike Bryant and if he's the starter I wish him nothing but the best because that's best for Clemson but there was times last year where long runs or defensive touchdowns was what made the game look better, a win is all that matters but at times it was close to being a loss if the defense hadn't bailed us out.

Re: Very Good Point***

Jul 19, 2018, 9:16 PM

We also had many games that were close to being Ls with DW4 as our qb so let's not take that route.

the defense and running game taking over games

Jul 19, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: He was a great QB last year. First year and led us to #1 ]

where a few games if the running game didnt take off and break a few runs late we very well could have lost more than one

Jul 19, 2018, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: He was a great QB last year. First year and led us to #1 ]

Well the defense was no where to be found vs nc state. Our offense carried the team that game. His down field passing was effected by wide receivers last year. I saw three beautiful throws for tds get called back Because of offensive pass interference. I seen drops too. Not taking a side but he’s not a bad qb.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:29 PM [ in reply to He was a great QB last year. First year and led us to #1 ]

There isn't one doubt in my mine that if our D hadn't kept us in some games, we would have never made it to the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I was surprised at his response in the interview with ]

Going up hwy 28 from Augusta toward McCormick, once you cross into SC the road constantly twists with much of it uphill. If oncoming traffic appears at the wrong times, you might be stuck behind a log truck for 20 miles.

The good times are when that log truck knows the road, his truck and his load, and he might do 60+ mph. Then I'm content to follow him and 'wait my turn'. But if he's missing shifts and can only handle his load on the flats, I'll be looking for a place to go by, even if i have to push a little.

KB is the log truck. He needs to handle his load without worrying about the guy that can blow right by without a backwards glance. We know TL will make mistakes. I just want him to have opportunity to be ready and make defenses fear us.

I think defenses respect KB. I think they will fear TL.

Very well said. I also thing he deserves the opportunity to

Jul 19, 2018, 8:54 PM

be out there, starter or not. And yes, defenses will fear him and that will open so much more in the running and short field as well.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I was surprised at his response in the interview with ]

It is his team... that is why how he handles the transition to TLaw will play a huge role this year. KB is not a downfield passer after all the years at Clemson he won’t be magically his senior year. KB will have packages for him and his leadership will be key... but I still say he takes over game 3 or 4.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I was surprised at his response in the interview with ]

NOOOOOO, next year Chase will be thumping TL in the back of the head bc the QB race is that close. Any bets?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. The last time I checked, TL had a Paw on his jersey too***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I was surprised at his response in the interview with ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wouldn't it only make sense that a guy that has

Jul 19, 2018, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Ferrell just solved the QB controversy ]

Spent years in the program, even a whole year in front of live snaps be better overall at managing the offense?

The qb has a lot to consider pre snap. Thwre are calls and checks he has to make. KB should be a lot more comfortable and effective at getting the offense in the right plays.

I would like to see kb hit some post routes this year and try to keep his eyes deeper downfield. I also would like to see TL get as many live reps as possible. He can develop quickly and help us this year if KB is hurt or struggling to keep the defense honest. I would love KB to prove me wrong but I believe we have to have a big time passing threat to get past bama. Even with their vwnilla offense they put up a lot of points and kill us on special teams.

Re: Ferrell just solved the QB controversy

Jul 19, 2018, 8:15 PM

I posted earlier that there is a STRONG belief in the older guys that Kelly should start. I was called a troll

No....

Jul 19, 2018, 8:22 PM

You were called a troll because you said TL was being "bullied" by KB's "boys"

Wow, let's hope that is certainly not true. It is one thing

Jul 19, 2018, 8:40 PM

to not start your freshman year and then be the starter from soph year forward. That is still a good situation. But if there is a situation like described, that would be unacceptable and on the coaches to clean up. I mean nobody would transfer just because they are going to be the starter from soph year on. That would be a great scenario. If, however, the more unlikely scenario, described as trolling, is actually a thing, then transferring is really easy these days.

Lol you can't even get the story straight

Jul 19, 2018, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Ferrell just solved the QB controversy ]

you said he was getting bullied. Totally different from " there is a STRONG belief in the older guys that Kelly should start".

I don't see how someone could be so full of ####.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic