Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
And again...why don’t many of us respect journalism now?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

And again...why don’t many of us respect journalism now?

Dec 20, 2018, 11:18 AM

Because journalists don’t respect journalism.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/12/20/journalist-claas-relotius-fake-news-der-spiegel/2373298002/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It's kind of like science, no?

Dec 20, 2018, 11:22 AM

Remember that time in 2003 when those 4 scientists fudged some climatology figures? I'm pretty certain that invalidates the research and findings of several hundred thousand other climatologists around the world.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and gun ownership

Dec 20, 2018, 11:30 AM

#amiright?

I just want to know what the 'right' temperature is.

Dec 20, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to It's kind of like science, no? ]

If our temps are rising as has been said, would it be better if they were cooling instead? How much does it need to cool to be optimum?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just want to know what the 'right' temperature is.

Dec 20, 2018, 5:54 PM

It isn't specifically about warming or cooling—it's about a change from what it has been over recent centuries. IF the average temperature over a few years fluctuates by a large amount then it will begin to change weather patterns to a significant degree.

It's obviously a problem if temperatures rise so much that sea level rises enough to submerge coastal areas, but it also causes economic disruption if sea levels were to decline significantly and more temperate areas began to freeze more often.

So there is no 'right' temperature.

Dec 21, 2018, 3:11 PM

got it.

It's exactly like climate science.

Dec 20, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to It's kind of like science, no? ]

Both find and give the general public what it demands, political entertainment and something to bicker over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and theyve done it recently***

Dec 20, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to It's kind of like science, no? ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

So, are you saying journalism is in good shape?

Dec 20, 2018, 11:54 AM [ in reply to It's kind of like science, no? ]

Or that journalists in general are doing very good journalistic work?

Or are you just being argumentative?

null

Re: And again...why don’t many of us respect journalism now?

Dec 20, 2018, 1:14 PM

I'm not exactly down with the idea that if 1 journalist is bad then journalism as a whole should be held in suspicion.

Dozens of Doctors every year get convicted of Insurance Fraud...but that doesn't mean the medical profession is crooked.

IMHO :-}

Dec 20, 2018, 2:22 PM

I mean, condemning the entire group of people in a profession due to the screw ups of one individual?

Gonna be hard to find a respected profession, then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Felix, Cata...I’m not condemning the profession based on one

Dec 20, 2018, 2:59 PM

example. I’m showing yet another example of why the profession, as a whole, is a joke.

If your response to that is “show me more examples” then just assume I concede this argument, and I’m wrong, journalism as a profession is in pristine shape and we should all thank them for the dignity and ethics with which they seek truth and perspective.

null

Huh.

Dec 20, 2018, 3:35 PM

You're not condemning the profession based on one person...

...You're just saying the entire profession is a joke based on one person.

OK.

But yes, show more examples/empirical evidence to show there are enough cases to constitute a norm and not an exception. That's how it works.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Lol. Nope. I’m a man of my word. You win. Journalism is in a fine condition.***

Dec 20, 2018, 6:38 PM

null

Re: Lol. Nope. I’m a man of my word. You win. Journalism is in a fine condition.***

Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 PM

Oh I agree, a whole lot of what people THINK is journalsim (Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Ingraham, zerohedge, raw story, huffpost) isn't really journalism but rather opinion.

Re: Felix, Cata...I’m not condemning the profession based on one

Dec 20, 2018, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Felix, Cata...I’m not condemning the profession based on one ]

Swarley said:

example. I’m showing yet another example of why the profession, as a whole, is a joke.

Swarley, my friend, you don't see the contradiction in those 2 statements? :)

Not at all. I am assuming that we’ve all been on this board

Dec 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

for years and so we all have read numerous examples of pathetic, lazy, agenda-driven, disingenuous journalism. To argue otherwise and to be asked to justify that opinion, to me, is akin to insisting that someone chronically everytime Trump has said something outrageous in the past when you reference his latest and say “here he goes again.”

null

Re: Not at all. I am assuming that we’ve all been on this board

Dec 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

No one disputes that there are problems in the media, especially in the realm of 24-hour cable news. I posted a long rant about it a couple of years ago. But your premise was to take one example and hold that as a model as evidence for the entire state of the profession. For every one of those you pull, I can give you ten that are phenomenal reporting (but for the sake of this thread and our sanity, how about we just not do that).

It's the logical presentation you gave that I'm disputing.

You’re just wrong. You’re creating a straw man.

Dec 21, 2018, 12:36 PM

I specifically highlighted that story as yet *another* example of how woeful the state of journalism is. You could argue (as you are now pivoting to do as you concede that there are issues with journalism today) that my condemnation of journalism is well overstated, or you could play dumb and act like this is the first time you’ve seen an example of poor journalism and demand more examples (again, like you’ve done), but you cannot seriously argue that my argument was that all journalism is garbage because of this one story. But...you’ll try.

null

Dec 20, 2018, 7:26 PM

Too many “anonymous sources” these days.

Man, Sting looks like @#$#@ these days.***

Dec 21, 2018, 11:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Man, Sting looks like @#$#@ these days.***

Dec 21, 2018, 12:22 PM

Wow man, your right!

CNN journalist of the year.

Dec 21, 2018, 12:39 PM

The fake news respects the leaders of their craft. I respect that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic