Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Feels like the NCAA should butt out of the PSU situation.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1,832

Feels like the NCAA should butt out of the PSU situation.

Jul 17, 2012, 4:06 PM

I mean, federal crimes were committed. This is beyond the NCAA, and them trying to stick their 2 cents in is a bit narcissistic.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8171574/jerry-sandusky-scandal-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-signals-heavy-sanctions-penn-state

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not correct....

Jul 17, 2012, 4:15 PM

Joe and Co. covered it up so their image and recruiting wouldn't be hurt...thus they put a competitive advantage over the lives of young boys.

Had this come out in 2000, how would their program been impacted?

So yes the NCAA should get involved.

They should get the death penalty for 5 years and anyone or anything associated with the situation should be completely removed from Penn St.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since football is the revenue sport, if they don't get the

Jul 17, 2012, 4:20 PM

death penalty they should pay off all expenses using revenue then any profits go to the victims and non-revenue sports. Don't let the football part of athletics profit a dime.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think its a great idea...

Jul 17, 2012, 4:21 PM

they need to be thinking way outside the box like this to start rebuilding their image.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not correct....

Jul 17, 2012, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Not correct.... ]

And many of those recruits have played out their eligibility,and Sandusky has been gone since 1999.Therefore whatever competitive edge Paterno had is now gone,along with him ,and really is irrelevant.
Also the cover up involves the school President,the V.P. and the A.D. which makes it deeper than just football.I say if you want to give them the "Death Penalty",go ahead.But if you do ,then,imo, the fair thing to do would to also close the University for the same time period.

Re: Not correct....

Jul 17, 2012, 6:28 PM

The SMU scandal involved more than just the football program. The fact that school officials were involved make it that much worse.

I think NCAA should hit them as hard as possible if they

Jul 17, 2012, 4:18 PM

want. Let anyone and everyone that can hurt them do it. Sandusky has and will get his. This started as a cover up in the athletic department (spedifically football) and epitomizes lack of institutional control.

PSU prided themselves on how squeakly clean they were. We all know it was a farce, now. Let any and all that can take a bite out of them do it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think NCAA should hit them as hard as possible if they

Jul 17, 2012, 4:24 PM

Yeah lets punish the school and everyone not guilty while the guilty are no longer there! That'll show'em!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happens every time the NCAA hits a school with

Jul 17, 2012, 4:31 PM

violations after a coach leaves. It's the culture that needs to change up there.

When you throw a criminal in jail, the criminal's innocent

Jul 17, 2012, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: I think NCAA should hit them as hard as possible if they ]

family is also punished. Is it fair to the collaterally impacted parties, no. But, punishments impact more than merely those directly punished. In some ways this collateral impact is part of the deterative function of punishments.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Jul 17, 2012, 4:22 PM

What NCAA rules were violated? If any were, then sure, the NCAA should punish them as appropriate. If not, the NCAA has no authority or jurisdiction to penalize them.

Lack of institutional control comtemplates widespread rules violations. Those are not present here.

You don't have to go very far into the NCAA by-laws to find

Jul 17, 2012, 5:43 PM

offenses that have been committed there.

2.2 "The Principle of Student-Athlete Well-Being" has enough phrases in there to bring about a strong punishment. While the victims apparently weren't Penn State students, they were student-athletes of other programs participating in activities at the NCAA's member institution's facilities. It's on page 3 and the NCAA Rule book link is provided:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D112.pdf

I don't see this as a death penalty case, but 3 years of bowl and TV bans would go a long way to helping many of the PSU community still living in denial understand what a complete and utter travesty this was and how much damage it has actually incurred to NCAA football programs in general, in addition to the tarnished lives of Sandusky and his PSU enablers' victims.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds about right.***

Jul 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish they would shut down PSU's athletic programs forever,

Jul 17, 2012, 4:51 PM

torch the campus, and bury it in 30 feet of salt.

Then, they can place a bronze marker at a roadside turnout with an explanation of what once happened there.

But hey, that's just me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish they would shut down PSU's athletic programs forever,

Jul 17, 2012, 5:06 PM

Would you feel that way if it were Clemson?
Don't wish anything bad on the innocent unless you are willing to suffer the same fate if it were Clemson.
You are innoncent after all, aren't you?
Well so is about 90% of the faculity and 100% of the student body that makes up Penn State.
Hey,thats just me!

What in the hell are you posting about?....

Jul 18, 2012, 8:30 AM

I knew the post would fly right over the proverbial heads of many on the Mange Bored, but my post was a sarcastic jab at everybody on this board who thinks their opinions will actually influence the outcome of ANY decision.

Since you mention it, however, if the Clemson Administration and CUAD were as involved as the ones at PSU in a pedo cover-up; then you're ###### right I'd want the football program shut down. In addition, I would want the entire Administration replaced at the top (including the BOT). Then again, it wouldn't make a ###### bit of difference to the power brokers what I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So its not ok to get a free tatoo or free dinner...

Jul 17, 2012, 5:14 PM

but hush a child sex ring to protect the football program is A OK! I cant support that.

NO - PSU is the definition of a lack of institutional

Jul 17, 2012, 5:40 PM

control. After the PSU internal investigation it is now quite obvious that PSU operated in the best interest of Paterno and the football program. Essentially, the people in charge of the university were doing whatever Joe wanted, no matter how obviously wrong.

Right or wrong, Clemson at least had the stones to fire Ford. They let Paterno renegotiate his contract to increase his retirement payout AFTER the story broke and after it came out that Paterno knew what was going on. That admin had no control over that univeristy.

At least until the guilty are sought out and prosecuted.

Jul 17, 2012, 9:53 PM

Until then, they won't know the extent of PSU's involvement.

Nothing like going off half-cocked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feels like the NCAA should butt out of the PSU situation.

Jul 18, 2012, 1:31 AM

It doesn't matter now, the ncaa is involved. This has been a sticky situation for the ncaa, but not sure they really thought things out.

The easiest, although most unpopular, would have been to say it was a criminal case which the ncaa would allow the courts to work out. This way the ncaa could wash their hands and not put themselves into the position they are in now.

Now that the ncaa is involved, what real choices do they have? The only options were death penalty or stay out of this. Anything less, and there was no point to getting involved other than to show that the ncaa is a joke and all institutions will just go further out of control and do what they want since the punishment is well worth the risk.

If the death penalty is given, then the cries of "why did this school only get a slap on the wrist for this offense?" will ring out from every corner of the country. The usc and unc scandals will come right back up and the ncaa will have that much more of a black eye exposing them for their lack of ability to really affect how schools do business.

Welcome to the wild world of political ideals ncaa; I for one don't think you are ready to come out of the shadows of your own creation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feels like the NCAA should butt out of the PSU situation.

Jul 18, 2012, 6:43 AM

Under the current NCAA by-laws & rules they may or may not have the business or authority to do any thing to help correct or ease the pain of so many, but I know they will be looking very close at PSU for some time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI

Jul 18, 2012, 9:31 AM

http://www.reddirtreport.com/Story.aspx/23022

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_child_prostitution_ring_allegations

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/Franklin/FranklinCoverup/franklin.htm

Replies: 21
| visibility 1,832
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic