Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fastest growing sports in America are...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 4,916

Fastest growing sports in America are...

Apr 29, 2012, 9:27 AM

Lacrosse,basketball,tennis and rugby.

fastest falling are baseball and wrestling.

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/lacrosse-fastest-growing-sport-us-203700673.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball is already #2 and will remain there &

Apr 29, 2012, 11:14 AM

the others will always be sports no one wants to watch. Just look at the crowds at these sports. They're just too boring and no black athlete wants to play them and that is the key

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frankly, basketball is a distant #2. That's why TV deals

Apr 29, 2012, 11:26 AM

are being moved by football. That was not the case in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Times have changed.

Re: Basketball is already #2 and will remain there &

Apr 29, 2012, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Basketball is already #2 and will remain there & ]

NCAA Lacrosse Championships typically packs in 50,000 for 3 days. An awesome event...

us open is the most attended sporting event in the world

Apr 29, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Basketball is already #2 and will remain there & ]

and there are black players.

college lacrosse gets big crowds.

Yeah and Soccer does very well world wide

Apr 29, 2012, 11:50 AM

also but no one here cares. Watching live is one thing but TV viewers is the key. If it isn't fun to watch on TV then it won't grow

the article talks about youth sport participation

Apr 29, 2012, 11:54 AM

not every sport can be #1 and that shouldt mean they get ignored

soccer has been growing in huge numbers among kids for

Apr 29, 2012, 3:09 PM

decades, yet by the time they leave college the level of interest is but a mere fraction of that among kids.

So why didn't ya mention these

Apr 29, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Yeah and Soccer does very well world wide ]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/The-most-attended-sporting-events-in-the-country?urn=nascar,243650

well because nascar isnt a sport

Apr 29, 2012, 11:56 AM

its like a social gathering

If its on ESPN it's a sport***

Apr 29, 2012, 11:58 AM

well ok, but that means that spelling bee is also a sport***

Apr 29, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: well ok, but that means that spelling bee is also a sport***

Apr 29, 2012, 12:22 PM

Yep

I don't think you understand what those drivers actually go

Apr 29, 2012, 12:56 PM [ in reply to well because nascar isnt a sport ]

through during the race.

Believe it or not they actually weight train to be able to handle the cars and g-forces on their bodies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think you understand what those drivers actually go

Apr 29, 2012, 1:17 PM

So the only requirement for something being a sport is if the participants sometimes maybe do a little weight training? The "sport" was invented by drunk hillbillies.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

now tip

Apr 29, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to us open is the most attended sporting event in the world ]

:)

queens, ny + 2 weeks + us title... i'm thinking that doesn't make it a popular sport.

and i heart lax; awesome sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

personally I can;t stand lacrosse***

Apr 29, 2012, 11:55 AM

Fishing is where its at,but how could you have a

Apr 29, 2012, 12:01 PM

large crowd? Build a stadium around a big pond?

yeah, so are you going against your previous

Apr 29, 2012, 12:03 PM

point that karge crowds are the only thing that matter for a sport's worth?

You have to have large crowds and big TV audience.

Apr 29, 2012, 12:13 PM

empty stadium is bad for TV

which is fine, but let's not confuse attendance at flushing

Apr 29, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to personally I can;t stand lacrosse*** ]

meadow with popularity.

speaking of tennis, when are we going to grow some champions, some mad dawg mean competitors ala connors, mcenroe, agassi[later in his career], even sampras as stoic as he was would flat fight until the tennis was done.

we are pitiful on the world scene; golf as well, basketball, just terrible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who knows

Apr 29, 2012, 12:19 PM

There are some good junior players, but none of them seem to be champion material. They will be top 30 guys(which in every other sport is considered an allstar, but in tennis only the top 5 or so matter to the larger audience)

i respect anyone ranked in the top 100[whichever they keep],

Apr 29, 2012, 12:28 PM

it's a heck of an accomplishment.

but, the pro golf tour is littered with the same lack of 'chip' from our players that the us was vilified for, yet served us well when ryder cup, walker cup, pres cup...

heck, the davis cup is named after a former us secretary of war.

Re: which is fine, but let's not confuse attendance at flushing

Apr 29, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to which is fine, but let's not confuse attendance at flushing ]

Golf, tennis, soccer are all getting worse in America.

I wouldn't say basketball is getting worse, we just seem to be losing grasp of the fundamentals and team play on the national scene that other nations do.

Hockey is still decent but it's Canada's national sport.

Not many countries play American style football which is why we are probably the most dominant country in that sport much like America would be terrible at cricket.

It just seems we don't have the drive to be the absolute best at something unless it will make us the most money i.e. Football.

see faulty stats. golf is not gettin worse in america. more

Apr 29, 2012, 3:18 PM

kids take up golf now than ever before. golf is better in america now than ever. thanks to tiger, tv, and money, golf is growing everywhere. and golf has been taking off around the world and growing like crazy since the 80s. america is not getting worse in golf, it's simply incredibly more competitive on a global scale.

what basis are you using to say that they are all

Apr 29, 2012, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: which is fine, but let's not confuse attendance at flushing ]

"getting worse"

Re: what basis are you using to say that they are all

Apr 29, 2012, 6:07 PM

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/RankingsSingles/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

like lowcountry said about golf

Apr 29, 2012, 6:32 PM

its more about other nations beefing up their efforts in tennis. In the late 80's and early 90's tennis ran through Southern California. It no longer does.

But despite the lack of champions we still have more men in the top 100 than any other country except France and Spain

i don't agree with B_C, we may have more players, a deeper

Apr 29, 2012, 6:42 PM

field, but we don't have winners, cold-blooded, heartless champions.

we're talking about 2 sports born in great britain/europe. 2 sports the us was the dominant force in around the world.

too many people saying, but we have the most in the top 100. i don't want participation awards, i want to dominate davis and ryder cups.

tiger has played on a soft tour. he's about the last heartless champion in either sport, certainly on the US side.

and that's the biggest joke in the world

Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 PM [ in reply to us open is the most attended sporting event in the world ]

are you counting just one day or the whole deal, both mens and womens?

If you're counting the entire event, then you should also use the same logic when counting the NCAA basketball tourney (men+women), the NFL playoffs, Daytona Speed Week, The World Cup, and about 100 other things that would dwarf a tennis tournament.

im talking about a single day

Apr 29, 2012, 12:11 PM

yes there are several matches on that one day, but everyone pays at the same site to get in.

The only sport I have a problem with is

Apr 29, 2012, 12:19 PM

Rowing. The Clemson row team is in my way to me getting to my favorite fishing hole. Stupid signs that say rowing in progress, please no wake. I accedently came up on them one day and they had to wait till I got through before they could start. Don't. think they liked it but tough. Caught a lot of fish that day

Rowing gets on my nevres too

Apr 29, 2012, 12:20 PM

mainly because of the large crowds they get. I went one day. It took 6 minutes and we destroyed the opponent.

Shouldn't be hard to draw a crowd for a day on the lake***

Apr 29, 2012, 12:26 PM

come again?

Apr 29, 2012, 12:39 PM [ in reply to im talking about a single day ]

Record Attendance
The U.S. Open set attendance record in 2009, with overall tickets given out (721,059), a single day session (37,388) and a single full-day total (61,554). Attendance dropped to 712,976 last year, when Rafael Nadal of Spain and Kim Clijsters of Belgium won the singles titles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-01/hurricane-irene-has-little-effect-on-u-s-open-crowds-through-first-days.html

maybe they should put troy on the schedule?***

Apr 29, 2012, 12:53 PM

That's what she said***

Apr 29, 2012, 1:15 PM [ in reply to come again? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

talking about your waitress right?

Apr 29, 2012, 1:38 PM

after a big tip?

are you talking tennis? dozens of matches played over a

Apr 29, 2012, 3:06 PM [ in reply to us open is the most attended sporting event in the world ]

couple of weeks? you're using number tricks. anyone can play that game. more people attend college football games on any given saturday than any other sport.

You have never watched a good Lacrosse game and ....

Apr 29, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Basketball is already #2 and will remain there & ]

Not many Black Athletes in Lacrosse because how often do Black athletes get a chance to play Lacrosse? Lacrosse has traditionally been a white prep school sport where Muffy and Skip watch their coddled spoiled (and largely awkward) brat) stumble up and down the "pitch" (field) while sipping wine and eating cheese ... BUT, that is rapidly changing ... Many PUBLIC High Schools now offer the sport and its just a matter of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Faulty logic and stastistics. Just like how advocates use

Apr 29, 2012, 3:02 PM

the same faulty logic and statistics to in politics or to lobby for funding grants or by the media to sensationalize crime stats.

Wrestling is dropping dramatically because Title IX was implemented in a very flawed way. Feminazis claimed they did not want to harm mens athletics, they only wanted equality, but then they demanded football scholarships be included in the calculations to meet Title IX requirements. When experts and people exercising common sense explained to the Feminazis that football is the goose that lays the golden eggs. And explained that there is no equivalent female sport and that it would cause real harm to other male sports because of the scholarship inequities, do you think they cared? Nope! That proved that the Feminazis only cared about exact equality in numbers, not equity and fairness. Never mind the reality that girls/women care far far less in general about sports than boys/men. Therefore, as college wrestling programs continually get axed, so goes opportunities for scholarships and interest.

As far as other sports, if you compare any two sports, they can statistically be growing at the same rate, but one be far more popular than the other. And the more popular a sport is, even a tiny increase in participation on a percentage basis can mean more new participants than many faster growing sports have in total participants.

You see this in the media all the time with crime statistics. Charleston has a very low number of murders annually, but there was a spike one year due to drugs/gangs and murders went up a lot on a percentage basis despite only being a handful more murders. Statistically it looked like murder was out of control, but was a fraction of other cities. Naturally the media jumped on it a sensationalized it like crazy.

You have to look past statistics and compare the number of new participants in real numbers to see which sports are actually most popular and rowing fastest.

Just because something grows fast...

Apr 29, 2012, 3:53 PM

doesn't mean it will get very big.
Trust me, I know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 41
| visibility 4,916
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic