Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Defense behind as August camp hits the dog days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

New Story: Defense behind as August camp hits the dog days

Aug 9, 2016, 12:30 PM

Defense behind as August camp hits the dog days

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney will move his football team over to Jervey Meadows for the next few days, and he hopes to see more out of the defense as camp hits the dog days. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the O is as good as advertised, and the D catches up...

Aug 9, 2016, 12:43 PM

It's going to be a nightmare for for anyone in our way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully Venebles can have the D ready to go

Aug 9, 2016, 12:45 PM

We don't have to be elite on defense but we at least have to have a good defense to win a national championship. The offense will be elite and we have all the cards lined up to make a run this year. We need that defense to step up.

Re: Hopefully Venebles can have the D ready to go

Aug 9, 2016, 1:07 PM

I agree, but if our defense can stop our offense, they can stop anybody's. Our O is the best they, or probably anybody else in the country, will face. I do want the D to be just as good as the O, and I dang sure want the Special Teams play, both receiving and kicking to be just that good too, for a nice change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2016, 1:11 PM

Its called going against the best offense in college football. Now, Dabo cant SAY that, but thats basically what it is. 99 yard plays are usually made because the wrong defense was called. Im just glad to see Gallman outrunning every one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2016, 11:19 PM

I didn't realize he was quite that fast, or maybe we just don't have the speed in the DB's we have had. I hope it's the former.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Hopefully Venebles can have the D ready to go ]

I'm not going to worry none about our D. Imagine being 18 or 19 years old and seeing your coach looking like he is ready to rip your face off with the way he looks in this article. I bet they won't look him in the eye when he is going off like that and hoping they don't screw up!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

<-- This the face you mean?***

Aug 9, 2016, 2:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Aug 9, 2016, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Hopefully Venebles can have the D ready to go ]

The D will get better, and I totally trust in BV to have our D playing as well as possible for the amount of time they have to work with the players. If he can't have them ready, then nobody else could have had them ready either. And we will have what we have, but I don't think that BV himself believed he would have our D stopping our O at this point in practice. The good thing is that we have a lot of young talent on our D that will keep getting better and better as the days go by. No other team will have more time getting ready for us as we do them. Better talent makes a better team, and out talent has definitely been getting better. And the coaches talk next season will be the same as it is every season during fall camp. Their view will always be that we're just not a good FB team yet, not as good as we're capable of being. Blah blah blah, bring on Aubum and spot the freaking FB. As Marvin Gaye would say, Lets get on!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When coaches are not crying the blues in fall practice, then

Aug 9, 2016, 1:42 PM

something's wrong. It's universal coach-speak. Some coaches express themselves through slight variations on the theme, but basically they all do the same song & dance this time of year.

I've seen this same scenario every year since Frank Howard was coach.

"We're just not ready." "Some of these guys haven't fully bought in yet." "If we play like this on opening day, we'll get beat." ... and on and on and on.

What gets said to the press after a given practice is 99% motivational. If there are real problems, in all likelihood, they don't get discussed for public consumption.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When coaches are not crying the blues in fall practice, then

Aug 9, 2016, 4:08 PM

Excellent point. I'd venture a guess that 126 other FBS teams ('Bama the exception) would just love to have Clemson's "problems". :)

Re: New Story: Defense behind as August camp hits the dog days

Aug 9, 2016, 1:24 PM

As long as we hold them under 30 I believe we will be just fine.

Maybe our offense is just that good...

Aug 9, 2016, 2:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This makes me nervous. Sounds like D needs leadership***

Aug 9, 2016, 2:19 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Tommy Bowden taught me

Aug 9, 2016, 2:38 PM

to get nervous when one of the teams is better than the other. It meant the opposite of what I wanted it to mean.

Re: Tommy Bowden taught me

Aug 9, 2016, 3:24 PM

This isn't a Tommy Bowden lead team though. Plus it's possible that we have the most talented offense since Bush's and Lienhart's USC teams.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Tommy Bowden taught me***

Aug 9, 2016, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden taught me ]

Re: Tommy Bowden taught me***

Aug 9, 2016, 6:20 PM

To be nervous , period .

Re: To quote Kevin Steele "We'll get it fixed"......the

Aug 9, 2016, 2:46 PM

difference this time around is that I have 100% confidence that Venables will get it fixed.

Screw Calford.

Re: New Story: Defense behind as August camp hits the dog days

Aug 9, 2016, 3:19 PM

This was rigged.Gallman is that good but defense ain't that bad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it was something to actually worry about then

Aug 10, 2016, 7:21 AM

Swinney wouldnt be talking to the press about it. He keeps the major things "need to know" and we as fans dont "need to know". We will be just fine come 8pm Sept 3. It will be the start of the 2016 season National Championship Clemson Tigers team with the #1 Offense and a top 5 Defense. Cant wait! Go Tigers! ! ! !

Remember the Todd Gurley 75 yrd run in Death Valley...

Aug 10, 2016, 9:25 AM

Think more like this:

Lessons are learned when mistakes happen. Gallman went 99 yards the first time. The defense corrected the second time. Georgia went toss sweep more then that one time to Todd Gurley and if I recalled he only had one 75 yrd touchdown. From the first one...when Spencer Shuey was out of position and the edge was not set. I am not saying breath easy. But, our offense will be amazingly good this year. And a valid point, 2015 Gallman would not have gone 99 yards. But 2016 Gallman, may be a threat to take it to the house each time he touches the ball.

Far better to give up a 99-yard run now ...

Aug 10, 2016, 9:33 AM

...so we don't give it up when the games matter.

Betcha that defensive breakdown will be well-drummed into the guys by the Auburn game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic