Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fans who want Brownell gone.... be careful what you wish for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Fans who want Brownell gone.... be careful what you wish for

Feb 11, 2013, 8:50 AM

I would really like to see what some other coaches could/couldnt do with the talent he is dealing with right now.

Also, i am not an excuse filled person, but you guys have GOT to look what he has gone through
-NO, absolutely 0, senior leadership
-9 Freshmen/Sophmores
-3 Players transferring because of different reasons (2 were starters)
-2 key players (even though 1 was a freshman) out for this season
-And the most underlying factor of all, the fickle fan base of clemson basketball that cannot see past any of this

I have followed Clemson basketball very very closely since Shyatt was here. There have been only a few good years in that time. With that said, I love watching clemson basketball and love supporting the team because they fight hard and when they do win, its exciting because it seems like they always are overcoming adversity to do so.

Yes we are 4-7 in the league right now, but a win at GT on Thursday sets up for a fun matchup in littlejohn taking on a top 10, and possibly undefeated (in the acc) Miami team on sunday evening. When we go into that game, i'll be pulling hard and doing all i can to support this team to a victory.

I, for one, have faith that Brownell will get this team prepared for every remaining game and give them the best shot at winning some games in the ACC tourney and maybe, just maybe, make a run at it.

There are better days ahead for this program, and changing coaches is NOT the answer for doing that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fans who want Brownell gone.... be careful what you wish for

Feb 11, 2013, 9:06 AM

Yep only those who know NOTHING about the game and our program want Brownell gone right now.

He gets and deserves 2 years more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM

Amen!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2013, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans who want Brownell gone.... be careful what you wish for ]

Just like those fans who wanted Dabo gone...oh wait....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i say just stick with him but have Bob Uecker call the games

Feb 11, 2013, 9:21 AM
Uecker.jpg(8.0 K)

with the bottle of whiskey and all.

Re: i say just stick with him but have Bob Uecker call the games

Feb 11, 2013, 9:22 AM

Harry Doyle: That's all we got, one ####### hit?
Assistant: You can't say ####### on the air.
Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway.

null

Re: i say just stick with him but have Bob Uecker call the games

Feb 11, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to i say just stick with him but have Bob Uecker call the games ]

Harry Doyle: The post-game show is brought to you by...
[searches through his papers]
Harry Doyle: Christ, I can't find it. To hell with it.

null

I've been a big Brad fan

Feb 11, 2013, 9:23 AM

but he's losing me daily. I don't want him fired this year but next yr critical imo. If I saw a light in recruiting, then it'd give a different perspective but it doesn't look like he's getting in the players he needs. Yes I know 2 players are hurt this yr but we'll be losing 2 starters as well which leaves no bigs up front worth anything. With no outside shooting to speak of, that's not a good mix. I don't see next yr being much better. But who knows, addition by subtraction might come into play.

The other thing that is a factor is his lack of ability to generate ANY excitement for the fans. In that category, he reminds me of the Shyatt years. As frustrating as OP's style was sometimes, there was excitement for the fans. There was an energy around the program. With Brad, it's the lowest I can remember.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McDs All-American Sr barely hits rim on a free throw

Feb 11, 2013, 9:24 AM

but I do have to question what Brownell was doing the last 2 minutes. This and the FSU game we got no shot off of a timeout on a last minute possession. I think we got a shot clock violation both times. These possessions probably cost us the games.

we have a bunch of players not willing to pull the trigger

Feb 11, 2013, 9:28 AM

imo. I've seen many times where our players have a wide open 3 and pass it. I think it was roper that made that extra pass with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i hate it when we start playing prevent and running the

Feb 11, 2013, 9:36 AM [ in reply to McDs All-American Sr barely hits rim on a free throw ]

clock on each posession. We have to have at least a 10 point lead to start doing that because have no one who can create the points on those posessions. We're not good enough for that. If we had some sort of playmaker then i woudl understand but when it was 2:00 left and we're dribbling the clock down i knew we were going to be lucky to get any more points for the rest of the game. With 30 seconds left I can see the reasoning but we can't stop playing with 2:32 left in the game...we're just not good enough to hit that pressure shot. What would be great is if someone knew how to draw a foul in those situations but then again...we'd probably brick em anyways. And for anyone expecting MJ to be the hero at the end....have you watched our games for the past 4 years? Sorry i'm no better than he but I wouldn't want me in the game with 2:00 left either.

Re: McDs All-American Sr barely hits rim on a free throw

Feb 11, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to McDs All-American Sr barely hits rim on a free throw ]

and that was on Brownell? Think he called the shot violation? Roper had a wide open 3 and wouldn't take because of freshman jitters. And I have followed Clemson BB since 1961. You can't say yesterday's game wasn't exciting, even tho we lost. If all you want is run and gun, watch pro basketball. No that's a boring sport.......

All good threads, minus Uecker

Feb 11, 2013, 9:34 AM

I'm giving Brad 2 more years

i'm just trying to interject some humor on a gloomy tigernet

Feb 11, 2013, 9:43 AM

Uecker was classic and would be awesome for our season this year.

Brad can only do so much. I'm all for Brownell. We just don't have a scorer this year. We've got some good role players but no one that can get us over the hump. If we even had a shawan robinson or oglesby that could hit a big shot late to extend a lead that woudl be the difference in these nail biters that we lose.Of course of those two neither was an asset on the defensive side. WE got the defense but not the offense. At least not this year. He really just needs a scorer and we'd be right there in the top4 of this conference but we can't score 50 points a game and expect to win alot of games.

I want to like Brownell, I want him to succeed, I really do

Feb 11, 2013, 9:43 AM

But he seems to be having difficulty recruiting the kinds of players he wants for his system...or at least high-caliber players who would fit into that system. He also strikes me as not particularly inspiring. I hope he's able to turn the program around in 2-3 years and get us back into the top 3rd of the league on a consistent basis. But it seems like a stretch at this point.

Re: I want to like Brownell, I want him to succeed, I really do

Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 AM

well we can say he has X # of years, but that isn't our call. Can't blame him for Jennings, he didn't recuite him. And Milton never lived up to his rep. under OP either. Perfect example of why you can't go by ratings in any sport 100%.

Feb 11, 2013, 10:27 AM

9 Fresh/Sof all his players= his inablity to coach
3 Players transfering= his promises and execution has failed
2 Players out because of injuries= tough luck it happens

The fickle fan base is tired of the #### poor results that the has brought to Clemson. He had the opportunity to sustain the level of play of that of OP but has dropped 3 levels below that in a weaker ACC. I would love to have OP's teams that of the previous years playing in the ACC this year.

When will this coach even see a 20 win season? Send him back to WSU conference where he is better suited for the level of competition. He is not ready for the big stage.

Feb 11, 2013, 10:29 AM

Please name a player under Op that had a tremendous impact as a Freshmen or Sophmore.

Clemson does not get those kinda players.

There is a reason why Miami is great this year. They are a very heavy senior based team.

null

Re: OP Players who had an immediate impact.

Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 AM

Trevor Booker who started as a freshman. The white shooting guard who got thrown out of the Michigan NCAA game. The AA small forward who hit a winning buzzer beater at SC. Brownell is not getting the job done, it is as simple as that. Clemson basketball is moving back to the Larry Shyatt era. Too bad you can't see it. But you have a poor memory.

The fact you don't know their names is proof enough...***

Feb 11, 2013, 11:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Proof.

Feb 11, 2013, 12:13 PM

That is only proof that I am old and forgetful.

If you equate Brad to Larry, you're not forgetful, you're

Feb 13, 2013, 1:58 PM

senile...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of what? His facts are all there. It's proof he didn't

Feb 13, 2013, 3:26 AM [ in reply to The fact you don't know their names is proof enough...*** ]

just look it up.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he should have looked them up, might have helped his

Feb 13, 2013, 1:57 PM

case...

You question HIS memory and you can't name 2/3 of the

Feb 13, 2013, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: OP Players who had an immediate impact. ]

players names in YOUR OWN example?

Re: You question HIS memory and you can't name 2/3 of the

Feb 14, 2013, 11:33 PM

Does that make his point not valid?

Hammonds was all-ACC freshman in 2005 and Cheyenne Moore was a solid contributor to that team as well, Trevor Booker contributed his freshman year, Stitt hit some HUGE free throws AT Miss St to seal a game, Oglesby was honorable mention all freshman.

Young and Smith contributed nicely their freshmen seasons, heck, people wanted Young on the court more than he was that year!

Booker averaged 5 points and 3 boards playing only 11 minutes a game.

Rivers was 5th in the team in scoring his freshman year. That team was real young as well, Robinson and Akinbala were the only seniors who played, and 1 junior in Hamilton.

Brownell shouldn't be fired this year, but he hasn't

Feb 11, 2013, 10:37 AM

shown me anything on the recruiting side to make me think it will get better. IT'S HIS JOB TO ACQUIRE THE TALENT NEEDED TO IMPROVE. Don't tell me he doesn't have anything to work with. Basketball is not like football. You only need five guys. One recruiting class can turn a program around immediately.

Well said!***

Feb 13, 2013, 6:22 AM

Re: Brownell shouldn't be fired this year, but he hasn't

Feb 13, 2013, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Brownell shouldn't be fired this year, but he hasn't ]

He did recruit talent. It's sitting on the bench with season-ending injury. No one seems to remember that Blossomgame is a BIG-TIME college prospect - a guy that's going to be a 15 PPG player right out of the gate.

Did he recruit McDaniel?***

Feb 14, 2013, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Brownell shouldn't be fired this year, but he hasn't ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BB will be gone soon. I saw the frustration in his face at

Feb 11, 2013, 11:42 AM

the UVA game (in Clemson). Late in the game, with Clemson needing a defensive stop - BB started pumping his arms up-and-down signaling the crowd to get off their butts and yell. No response from the crowd. He finally turned his back on the game and pleaded with the people behind the bench to get on their feet. They finally did.

If BB had a loud supportive crowd at the NCState game, The Tigers win easily.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LJ sounded loud on TV***

Feb 11, 2013, 11:47 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Fan support was not an issue yesterday. Not at all.***

Feb 11, 2013, 11:58 AM

How full was the upper arena? It looked purple on TV.***

Feb 11, 2013, 12:17 PM

About 9,500 were there, and they were loud.***

Feb 11, 2013, 12:19 PM

unless he quits he's not going anywhere***

Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: unless he quits he's not going anywhere***

Feb 13, 2013, 3:00 AM

We can always hold out hope that he quits.

Feb 13, 2013, 7:57 PM

And who are you gonna hire to replace him? I'll hang up and listen.

Feb 14, 2013, 9:13 PM

I will take any coach at this point that has a system that is solid. They would be better than the present BB. To throw away a good thing like respect in the ACC and on the national level and now to reward bad I call BS!!! A earlier post stated call Bloosomgame. If we have to depend on one player for 15 points then the program is in a very sad state indeed.

Feb 14, 2013, 9:28 PM

I said the same thing last night, just not as well as you. Tonights victory confirms your points.

Feb 14, 2013, 9:54 PM

you said

with the talent BB is dealing with right now

so who brought in that talent BB is dealing with. he did.

if not not ACC worthy talent then why did he bring them in

if there is anything wrong with the talent it's on BB. so don't try and give BB a break on the talent. it's all on him

Feb 14, 2013, 11:37 PM

No!! It 's all on so called fans like you who posts crap this !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2013, 9:24 AM

I see you did not address the "who brought this talent in"

no one questions BB coaching ability or wants him gone
but don't give him a pass on the players BB brought in.

he wanted them, he got them, and now he play with them.

I don't see BB making excuses for the talent he has, only fans like you and others who can't see that this talent is ACC worthy talent right now.

and it's fans like you who continue to give a pass on bad talent that allows Clemson to be bottom feeders in the ACC, since that is acceptable to you

Feb 15, 2013, 7:37 AM

Anyone who wants him gone is a fool.

Mar 12, 2013, 7:50 PM

Anyone that wants him to stay is a idiot!!!

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic