Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job.

Apr 12, 2015, 2:04 PM

Maybe Jack Leggets time has passed idk, but Jack still a man with a job he could lose at the end of this season. If you have never lost a job it can be devastating to a family. IMO fans seem to view the firing of coaches with less humanity than say your neighbor, people you have worked with or a family member. We need to remember that most coaches are not making Saban, Urban Meyer type money. When they are fired many of them have to relocate their family, change banks, doctors, etc... Basically their lives may be thrown into a chaotic state. When you fire the coach you are basically firing the family. It is my understanding that coach's wives bear most of the responsibility when a coach and his family are forced to move on. We almost never know the financial or emotional cost to the coach or his family as a result of his termination or forced resignation.

AD's have a difficult job. I think some fans have lost sight of that. All they see are wins and losses each season. Many fans no longer have the patience it may take for a program to evolve. To many times fans want it now! I think we as fans should carefully think before we become part of the "Fire the Coach" crowd.

As for Jack I know he has put his heart and soul into Clemson baseball and the growth of the school. If it is time for a change don't be one of those so excited about his departure that you would dance on his grave. Jack is human too and I feel sure his termination or job change within Clemson will leave him with a sense of failure and a feeling that he let Clemson, his players and the fans down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job.

Apr 12, 2015, 2:10 PM

Jack is 61 years old and makes $400,000 a year. I think he can afford to retire a few years early. If he wants to relocate to keep coaching because he likes it or feels that he needs more money, well than that's on him.

If I hear about someone losing his job that was just getting him by, I may feel bad. I don't feel bad about a millionaire losing a job.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2015, 2:14 PM

very well said! and Jack HAS NOT been doing his job for about 10 years!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2015, 8:09 AM

Of course he has been doing his job, maybe not with the results we want, however, he has been coaching, training, and recruiting his rear off. The secret to any team is the talent, I don't feel like we have the talent that we once had, to suggest that JL hasn't been working his tail off is ridiculous.

Message was edited by: #1TIGER®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2015, 1:27 PM

But he should have been working his butt off on the phone trying to find himself another assistant that can coach his guys up. Pepperoni/Pepicelli hasn't been nor will he help Jack's case at all!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His job is to win games which is why he gets paid nearly

Apr 13, 2015, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

half a million a year. He hasn't truly earned his salary but 3 maybe 4 seasons over the past 15 years. Time to go. Long past time to go actually.

null

Re: His job is to win games which is why he gets paid nearly

Apr 14, 2015, 9:21 AM

From 1960 to 1975 Clemson went to ONE regional. 1982 to 1986 Clemson went to NO regionals.

Bill hire Jack in 1992 and hand picked him as he replacement. Clemson has missed only ONE regional since Bill hired Jack.

To say the man has not earned his money his a moronic statement and says a lot about what you don't know.

Apr 14, 2015, 9:36 AM

you keep putting this bull #### out there as if the playoff format was the same back then.

it was MUCH harder to get into post season then.

Your attempts to discredit Bill BUILDING a program are pretty disgusting.

null

Apr 14, 2015, 9:38 AM

I'm not discrediting anything or anyone look up the records. It shouldn't have been harder the ACC sucked.

You just don't like the facts

Apr 14, 2015, 9:53 AM

lol the guy who has ignored me posting stats and facts for the past 5 years and has responded by calling me a ton of different names is really going to accuse others of ignoring facts...

I post Jacks win % against top 25 teams.... You ignore....

I post Jacks fielding % for the past decade.... You ignore....

null

Apr 14, 2015, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: His job is to win games which is why he gets paid nearly ]

I think Jacked helped build this power house but now things have changed and Clemson admin. will not give Jack an even playing field! Do you disagree?

Apr 14, 2015, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: His job is to win games which is why he gets paid nearly ]

1960 Clemson 11-10-1 7-6 4th
1961 Clemson 12-11 6-8 5th
1962 Clemson 17-8 8-6 T–3rd
1963 Clemson 15-11 9-5 T–2nd
1964 Clemson 13-13 6-7 T–4th
1965 Clemson 18-10-2 9-5 2nd
1966 Clemson 20-7-2 9-4 2nd
1967 Clemson 29-9 11-2 1st NCAA Regional
1968 Clemson 27-14 11-7 4th
1969 Clemson 27-17-2 12-8-1 3rd
1970 Clemson 32-16 14-7 2nd
1971 Clemson 27-14 10-4 2nd
1972 Clemson 19-15 6-7 5th

How am I discrediting Bill show me! Other than 1972

Apr 14, 2015, 9:47 AM

Make that 1970

Apr 14, 2015, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: His job is to win games which is why he gets paid nearly ]

Those winning percentages would get Clemson into a regional today.

The fact of the matter there were less spots available then.

You are comparing apples to oranges in a pathetic attempt to make Bills accomplishments look not as good.

Fact is Jack was handed the keys to an elite program and has done NOTHING with it. We went from a Championship winning program to not one.

null

Apr 14, 2015, 10:11 AM

You are wrong just plain wrong I loved Bill you are to young to know what you're talking about and NO you will not make the playoff with those numbers except 2 yrs.

Don't excuse me of crap you have no clue about. You are just a young know it all.

By the way how's the wife and when is the baby due

Apr 14, 2015, 10:23 AM

Dude some of those winning %s were very good and would be in a 64 team field. Fact of the matter there were not 64 slots back then.

She is doing great thanks for asking.

null

A bad sales guy can also work their ### off.

Apr 14, 2015, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

But if they don't get good enough results, they either starve due to being paid straight commission or are ran off because they aren't meeting the quota for their high salary.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if these aren't lose-your-job results, then that's on Clemson

Apr 12, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

If you're willing to accept the long slide below even mediocre, then that's what you'll get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: if these aren't lose-your-job results, then that's on Clemson

Apr 12, 2015, 5:10 PM

Smart business people know: Anything that should be done eventually, must be done immediately.

That's not how this has to be.

Apr 12, 2015, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

There's a place in our athletic budget for Jack if he wants to keep working. Unless you've gone through retirement you can't imagine what it's like. I don't want Jack fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't have a place in the athletic budget for him.

Apr 12, 2015, 7:02 PM

He failed: let him pay the price. Whey in the heck should he be given another job?

Don't be a dikhed, peanut.

Apr 12, 2015, 7:14 PM

Jack's been with us long enough to have earned more respect than to just be fired. Drad isn't an MBA we've hired to cut fat and sell off half the company using short sighted economics for the benefit of short term investors.

We're in this sports thing for the long haul and we have to behave as such.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what do you consider the long haul? The program has been in decline for

Apr 12, 2015, 10:05 PM

9 years outside of the 2010 postseason run. He has one championship in the last 20 years. He inherited a top 5 program and now loses to PC at home. We've been patient. His time is up.

Re: what do you consider the long haul? The program has been in decline for

Apr 14, 2015, 9:24 AM

You forget he help build that top 5 program. FACT

Apr 14, 2015, 9:54 AM

Top 5 programs win Championships.

null

Apr 14, 2015, 10:57 AM

005 Jack Leggett 43–23 21–9 2nd NCAA Clemson Regional Champions
NCAA Waco Super Regional
2006 Jack Leggett 53–16 24–6 1st, Atlantic NCAA Clemson Regional & Super Regional Champions
College World Series Participant
2007 Jack Leggett 41–23 18–12 2nd, Atlantic NCAA Myrtle Beach Regional Champions
NCAA Starkville Super Regional
2008 Jack Leggett 31–27–1 11–18–1 4th, Atlantic
2009 Jack Leggett 44–22 19–11 2nd, Atlantic NCAA Clemson Regional Champions
NCAA Tempe Super Regional
2010 Jack Leggett 45–25 18–12 1st, Atlantic NCAA Auburn Regional Champions
NCAA Clemson Super Regional Champions
College World Series Participant

Re: We don't have a place in the athletic budget for him.

Apr 14, 2015, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: We don't have a place in the athletic budget for him. ]

Peanut look above and tell me how he has failed? Of course this is coming from a person that doesn't like Dabo or any coach at Clemson

Jack, like Bobby Bowden and others, foolishly force people

Apr 13, 2015, 4:18 PM [ in reply to That's not how this has to be. ]

to fire them with ego and arrogance plus a little denial.

null

Re: I don't feel one bit sorry for him. FiIRE HIM TODAY.***

Apr 12, 2015, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

Re: I don't feel one bit sorry for him. FiIRE HIM TODAY.***

Apr 13, 2015, 1:41 PM

He was given a fair enough chance at the end of last season to make changes that would have bought him some more time. The problem was that he didn't see anything wrong with the program, and that alone is reason for termination. When a coach can't see when the same occurring problems has gotten worse over the span as has been with Clemson BB, changes should be made from the top down.

common sense and appropriate respect for others'

Apr 13, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

has nothing to do with how much they make.

I, for one, am glad you got POTD. I'd hate for you to have to learn good manners at your age. Something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind.

As for "calling for someone's job on an interest board", it's callous, arrogant, rife with possibilities for manipulation, presumptive, and just Cootish.

If you want to call for someone's head, write the AD a letter.

And if you must feel good about yourself, then send copies of the letter to all your friends who already know how boorish you are.

Definitely NOT a "Clemson man".

epidummy at it again I see.***

Apr 13, 2015, 3:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

and I see Anon has no class as usual....

Apr 13, 2015, 7:33 PM

making us all look bad bro.

Comes with territory. Don't like it don't do it.***

Apr 12, 2015, 2:44 PM

i know it comes with the profession. But social media, talk

Apr 12, 2015, 4:22 PM

radio and other avenues allow fans to remain unknown while blasting coaches and calling for their firing. The one (1) point I wanted to make was that before we fans start demanding the coaches job look at more than wins and loses and let it be a well thought out decision. Don't let it be out of anger and frustration over 1 game or even 1 season.

And how do you know that Jack does not live pay check to pay check. Just because a coach has made big money does mean he still has it. Just take some time and think before you post to fire one of our coaches or any other coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i know it comes with the profession. But social media, talk

Apr 12, 2015, 4:37 PM

fans are not basing this on one season. They are basing on at least the last 6 seasons or more.

I feel confident that a man making $400,000 +incentives, living in a big ol' house on the lake is not living pay check to paycheck. If he is, that is fault. You are just grasping at straws now.

My original post is not about Jack. I just used him as an ex

Apr 12, 2015, 4:54 PM

It about fans in general and the coaching profession.

you are kidding, right???

Apr 12, 2015, 5:34 PM

that post was entirely about Jack. Even, as you say you used him as an example.....it still makes the post about Jack.

Re: Bud, no way has it been about one season. Where have

Apr 12, 2015, 7:04 PM [ in reply to i know it comes with the profession. But social media, talk ]

you been?

1. Winning is why he gets paid. 2. If he pissed away his

Apr 13, 2015, 4:22 PM [ in reply to i know it comes with the profession. But social media, talk ]

money that's his fault. 3. If he's half as good as you pumpers think he'll have no trouble finding another job.

null

Re: Comes with territory. Don't like it don't do it.***

Apr 13, 2015, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Comes with territory. Don't like it don't do it.*** ]

What a horse$*%$ response. Just because his chosen profession happens to be something that is done in public it automatically opens him to the venom and vitriol we see on this board? That is garbage. What do you do? I promise you this: Jack Leggett has had a greater impact on 100s of young men and this University than you ever will. You have no idea what coaches go through or how much time and energy they put into their jobs. Yes, I know that some of them are compensated well, but that isn't an automatic ticket to ridicule. The next time anyone on hear wants to rant a rave about firing a coach just stop for a minute and put yourself in the other shoes and see how you might feel about it then.

Apr 13, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quick question....

If you aren't doing your job at the level expected of you, what will happen?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 14, 2015, 8:31 AM

I may get fired, and if that is what the powers that be want, then so be it. My point wasn't he shouldn't be fired. My point was that just being a coach should not be a reason to have to be constantly berated and subject to such venom that we see on this board. If you do not believe he is doing his job as well as he should, then contact his superiors and voice your opinion to them.

Apr 14, 2015, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Comes with territory. Don't like it don't do it.*** ]

Is that your level or does his boss know thing you don't?

I have two concerns about this.

Apr 12, 2015, 3:43 PM

The only thing that Jack will suffer is his ego being crushed if he's fired. He's financially secure and the typical problems a man goes through when not being able to continue a lifestyle with his family are non issues. This is harsh but Jack will get through it and retire where he belongs to live forever in the hearts of true Clemson Fans.

My real issue with this is that we, Clemson, will lose our integrity by firing a man who has given us so much for so long. Clemson, we, are one of the last strong holds of integrity and allegiance. That's a sacrifice I don't want to make just for the chance to win more baseball games.

I was once a Dallas Cowboys' fan. The way they fired Tom Landry broke my young heart and turned me sour to pro ball. I know that's the way the pros work, I understand, but that's not the way Clemson works. Integrity and our allegiance to one another is not something I'd give up for a sport.

Re: I have two concerns about this.

Apr 12, 2015, 4:20 PM

Lets let him coach as long as he wants to. It's his right!

Just like Paterno and Bowden.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I don't know about that.

Apr 12, 2015, 4:28 PM

Seems like Beamer would prefer VT over his ego and self. Seems like Jack would do the same for us. I'm not agreeing that Jack should be fired but I'm not saying he should have the right to remain after his ability to recruit and coach have diminished either.

There's a way to negotiate this without embarrassing either party.

Re: There is. Tell him his services are no longer needed.***

Apr 12, 2015, 7:08 PM

What are you smoking? No one has a right to ANY job at

Apr 13, 2015, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: I have two concerns about this. ]

Clemson. Certainly not a man that didn't build the program and wore out his welcome before now. People like you are nuts and dangerous.

null

Re: What are you smoking? No one has a right to ANY job at

Apr 13, 2015, 5:50 PM

shocking that the sarcasm went right over your empty little head.

null

Re: I have two concerns about this.

Apr 12, 2015, 4:43 PM [ in reply to I have two concerns about this. ]

I don't think Clemson would lose any integrity at all. The media and all of us know what he has done at Clemson, but the last multiple seasons are why he would be gone. There may some medias that will say we did the wrong thing, firing a HOF coach, but most will know why

Integrity and allegiance are joined at the hip.

Apr 12, 2015, 7:18 PM

You can't separate them without pain and suffering. Clemson will not fire Jack. We will move him to the office somewhere and let him contribute in another capacity. If he isn't willing to do that he can resign of his own will.

If Jack had any integrity he would not put Clemson in a bad

Apr 13, 2015, 4:38 PM [ in reply to I have two concerns about this. ]

position and force us to fire him. He'd recognize he has not gotten the job done for years and quietly step aside. People knew Bobby Bowden was running FSU into the ground and they gave him plenty of time. Sadly he forced their hand. Jack ain't no Bobby Bowden. Jack didn't build Clemson baseball, Wilhelm did. Wilhelm made the ACC better.

null

Re: If Jack had any integrity he would not put Clemson in a bad

Apr 14, 2015, 9:32 AM

With Jacks help. You would have fire Bill many, many years before he got this thing really going.

No need to worry because we have no say so anyway.***

Apr 12, 2015, 4:08 PM

Apr 12, 2015, 4:30 PM

sounds like you think he should not be fired because it will hurt his feelings. Anyone that is not getting the job done gets fired. That is just how it works. His buy out at this time is $400.000, which would be one yrs salary.

Jack has never taken blame for teams doing bad. He comes back with smart a ss answers to the media.

I think Clemson should structure his retirement and let him bow out gracefully. If Jack refuses to retire, I think he will be fired. He needs to just retire and he can bow out gracefully.

I feel terrible when my friends, families or neighbors lose their job. They are not as secure as Jack is. I would feel sorry for him, but no pity for him. He has done this to himself. Yes, he does have a good history at Clemson; however, it has gotten worse for years.

I think you are exaggerating when you say people would dance on his grave. I feel sure that every fan knows his history and are glad for what he has done. But fans also know when a change is needed and now is the time.

I feel real sure that Jack will be alright financially. He will be just fine.

And you think if he retires or is fired it would leave Jack Leggett with a sense of failure...lololololololololololololol. He is too arrogant for that.

Re: I don't care what his financial future is. That is his

Apr 12, 2015, 7:11 PM

problem and if it is a problem then he is to blame.

Apr 14, 2015, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

You don't know Jack!! You just running that #### skinner

Apr 13, 2015, 8:11 AM

Jack has been paid Millions by Clemson University. I am sorry if I wont exactly lose sleep over him being let go or retiring.

I think he will be just fine.

null

Demands for coaches' jobs have occurred throughout

Apr 13, 2015, 8:24 AM

the history of sports.

In fact no less than Frank Howard faced his detractors in the 60's and eventually opted to retire rather than face ouster. At some point an honorable leader in any endeavor will evaluate his own contributions, asking if his leadership remains viable and productive. If not, then he should choose to depart on a more friendly basis.

Of course, there is the human factor, for none of us wants to admit that our service may be limited or failing a program. That's where inspired leadership from the powers-that-be must prevail, offering alternatives.

As for Jack Leggett, I don't believe any Clemson fan wishes him ill will; rather, most believe the good of the program must prevail over the good of the man. If his steersmanship has become rudderless, then he should follow Frank Howard's example. If he, the administration and an overwhelming majority of Clemson fans believe otherwise, then he should be allowed to continue.

My long experience with Clemson leads me to believe that he is now in the same position as Coach Howard, and the next few months will determine what honorable path is taken. Regardless, I appreciate his service, his relative success and wish him nothing but the best.

Apr 13, 2015, 8:30 AM

should be posted on baseball board ! Leggett is gone soon !

"OFFICIAL" baseball bored??***

Apr 13, 2015, 9:44 AM

Apr 13, 2015, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Fans are to quick when it comes demanding a coaches job. ]

Just put on the BB boards, if Jack doesn't try something new that works, his A$$ will be fired!!! But I'm sure that would cause him attack the fans that are ashamed of seeing us lose to mediocre teams at home, that we should have beat on their home field.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

He makes $400k a year

Apr 13, 2015, 12:11 PM

if losing this job is going to devastate his family then he must be pretty terrible with money.

I guarantee you Jack has made more than enough money to retire comfortably if he wants to. If he chooses to uproot his family and go try to coach another team, that's his decision, not ours.

Life is performance-based, if I sucked as bad at my job as

Apr 13, 2015, 1:14 PM

JackLeg has the last few years, I'd have been fired a long time ago.

Re: Life is performance-based, if I sucked as bad at my job as

Apr 13, 2015, 2:05 PM

And without not one person saying how awful it was that you got fired, not even with the employees that you worked with. In fact, they to are glad you're gone bc you weren't doing your job. It shouldn't be any different with coaching no matter how long they have been on the job. Change with the times in order to keep winning in the changing times. Stay on top of the game no matter how often it changes, or find another job where they will put up with the set in your ways BS.

Apr 13, 2015, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Life is performance-based, if I sucked as bad at my job as ]

You are a #### fan.

null

Apr 13, 2015, 6:07 PM

Another brilliant, well thought out response from clemturd117.

Apr 14, 2015, 9:37 AM

Shocking Skeeter3 comes to defend a #### poster.

How many other names do you have over here?

We know you had at least two at once with Jhop83 and Skeeter3....

loser

null

marlborocountycoot = tigerfanjack = alltimeClemson

Apr 14, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Life is performance-based, if I sucked as bad at my job as ]

sad.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic