Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli

Aug 10, 2018, 8:38 AM

https://twitter.com/TomFornelli/status/1027626995897847809

Some of these seem nearly impossible. How do you only play 6 non-conference road games in 18 years? And TWO of Alabama's 6 were at Hawaii on 11/30/2002 and 11/292003 which, IIRC, they did just to thumb their nose at the NCAA bowl ban they received while on probation!

The other 4 for Alabama: at UCLA 2000, at Oklahoma 2002, at Duke 2010, at Penn State 2011. That's it, that's the entire list. They haven't played a non-conference road game in 7 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just noticed somebody else already posted this

Aug 10, 2018, 8:39 AM

Sorry!

LOL at Florida

Aug 10, 2018, 8:57 AM

Their total is inflated by playing the Seminoles...I don't recall if Miami was on the schedule during that period and I'm not going to look. Regardless, I don't believe they've left the state of Florida for a non-conference road game since Moses was a kid.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've played at Miami twice

Aug 10, 2018, 9:05 AM

I remember they played them in 2003 when Zook was cooking Florida and Miami was still pretty good. The other time was more recent... maybe while Muschamp was there.

Re: LOL at Florida

Aug 10, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to LOL at Florida ]

Yes, 9 @ FSU and 2 @ Miami. Last time they played a true away game, out of conference, outside the state of Florida was... 1991 (Loss to Syracuse)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli

Aug 10, 2018, 9:23 AM

If you do not count USUC (since we play them each year), the only noncon road game for us was Auburn since 2008, so that's only 1 game in 10 years.

I didn't count playoff games either.

It does not sound like we are much better than the SEC powerhouse teams. Just saying.

False.

Aug 10, 2018, 9:35 AM

We played at UGA on August 30 2014.
How can you forget the first time seeing DW4 shine?

Aug 10, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli ]

If you do not count USUC (since we play them each year), the only noncon road game for us was Auburn since 2008, so that's only 1 game in 10 years.

I didn't count playoff games either.

It does not sound like we are much better than the SEC powerhouse teams. Just saying.

Need to check your stats... we played UGA in Georgia in 2014, Auburn in Auburn twice (2010, 2016) as well as having played Alabama at neutral site (Atlanta) in 2008, and Auburn at a neutral site (Atlanta) in 2012.

Clemson has a proven track record of going on the road against other power 5 conferences (usually a home-on-home arrangement - i.e. Texas A&M this year). It appears Alabama doesn't prefer such deals and actively avoids playing non-conference big boys outside the confines of Tuscaloosa...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why wouldn't we count South Carolina?

Aug 10, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli ]

If that were a conference game every year we would have more OOC scheduling freedom and we would probably play more non-conference home and homes.

Also, even if you exclude the 9 games we've played at South Carolina, we've still played 5 non-con road games since 2000 which is nearly as many as Alabama's 6. Auburn twice, UGA twice, and A&M.

Aug 10, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli ]

Didn't we also play UGA in 2014.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have to count USuC

Aug 10, 2018, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Fun SEC stat from Tom Fornelli ]

Without actually doing the research, I would almost bet out-of-conference rivals keep other teams from the SEC off this list as well. It is likely that we keep USuC off the list, GT keeps UGA off the list, and Louisville keeps Kentucky off the list just to mention a few. Again, I didn't actually look these teams up, but I'm pretty sure there are more like these across the country, not just the SEC or ACC. I would venture to say that most schools try to limit their road games to conference and rivalry games when they can for financial reasons if no other.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Ain't telling me anything i didn't already know

Aug 10, 2018, 9:31 AM

i mean i didn't know the exact statistics but i'd be pretty surprised if this list didn't include alot of SEC teams.

"It just means more" advantageous schedules***

Aug 10, 2018, 9:51 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Aug 10, 2018, 10:15 AM

I also remember a stat until UGA went to Arizona State and Notre Dame in the last few years that they had not played a non bowl game outside the southeast since 1965 (obviously the addition of Missouri brings an argument about what is the south but if it’s in the Southeastern Conference it must be in the south, right?).

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic