Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So who wins the Coastal Division?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 827

So who wins the Coastal Division?

Nov 25, 2013, 11:13 AM

If...

Duke loses to UNC
VT beates UVA
Miami beats Pitt

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Does it matter?***

Nov 25, 2013, 11:14 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It shouldn't...I'd like to know if Clemson wins out, that...

Nov 25, 2013, 11:18 AM

...the Tigers will be in the Orange bowl.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

If we beat SCU... FSU will either play in the MNC or Peach

Nov 25, 2013, 11:22 AM

fil A...

IF they lose to Duke/VT, they will not be in BCS

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Still not sure that's true

Nov 25, 2013, 12:46 PM

I think it relies on a lot of folks making the illogical choice of ranking FSU below us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does it matter? Not to me

Nov 25, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Does it matter?*** ]

not at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty Sure that happens and VT will go.***

Nov 25, 2013, 11:23 AM

EDITED AGAIN : VT (I'd forgotten GT)

Nov 25, 2013, 11:23 AM

Lets see, that would mean:

CONFERENCE DIVISION AGAINST TEAMS IN TIE
W L W L W L
DUKE 5 3 3 3 2 2
GT 5 3 4 2 2 2
MIAMI 5 3 4 2 2 2
UNC 5 3 3 3 1 3
VT 5 3 5 1 3 1

So at step 1 (record among tied teams), VT wins

Message was edited by: tiger_thom®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tie break is division record and that would be VT under

Nov 25, 2013, 11:25 AM

the above scenario

No, first tiebreaker is record among tied teams

Nov 25, 2013, 11:28 AM

http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/ACC-Football-Championship-Tiebreakers

False

Nov 25, 2013, 11:28 AM [ in reply to tie break is division record and that would be VT under ]

The tiebreaker is head to head record vs the teams in the tie.

If Duke Loses to UNC that means Va Tech goes.
Records vs teams in the tie would be as follows:

Duke 2-2
Ga Tech 2-2
Va Tech 3-1
Miami 2-2
UNC 1-3

Yep, completely forgot GT

Nov 25, 2013, 11:29 AM

That is why VT gets the nod

I post it, you read it and figure it out

Nov 25, 2013, 11:27 AM

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/39208/potential-coastal-division-tiebreaker-scenarios/

There were 32 potential tiebreaker possibilities for the ACC’s Coastal Division race when play began Saturday. After Duke’s 28-21 victory at Wake Forest and Miami’s 45-26 win against Miami, the possibilities are down to just four.

Coach David Cutcliffe’s surprising Blue Devils (9-2, 5-2 ACC) can render the rest of them moot by beating rival North Carolina in Chapel Hill next week. They currently hold a half-game lead on Georgia Tech (7-4, 5-3) and a full game advantage on Miami (8-3, 4-3), Virginia Tech (7-4, 4-3) and UNC (6-5, 4-3).

A Tar Heel win, however, would force a tie among as many as five teams, leaving the division’s representative in the ACC Championship Game against Florida State in Charlotte on Dec. 7 up to the results of several other games.

Here are all the scenarios:

? A Miami win against Pittsburgh and a Virginia Tech victory against Virginia would create a five-way tie for the Coastal title. In that instance, the Hokies would go to Charlotte on the strength of their 3-1 record against the other four teams. The Blue Devils, Yellow Jackets and Hurricanes would be 2-2 against the group while the Tar Heels would be 1-3.

? A Virginia Tech win and a Miami loss would create a four-way tie between Duke, UNC, Georgia Tech and the Hokies. In that case, the championship game representative would be decided between the two Techs based on their 2-1 record against the others in the deadlock. The Hokies would again get the nod on the strength of their head-to-head win against the Hurricanes.

? A Miami win and a Virginia Tech loss would also create a four-way tie. In this case, the Hurricanes and Georgia Tech would have the advantage because of their 2-1 records against the others, with Miami getting the nod because of its head-to-head win against Georgia Tech.

? Finally, in the event of losses by both Miami and Virginia Tech, a three-way tie between Duke, UNC and Georgia Tech would break the Yellow Jackets’ way because of wins against both the Blue Devils and Tar Heels.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 827
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic