Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
why a new basketball arena isn't a sure-fire fix
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

why a new basketball arena isn't a sure-fire fix

Mar 7, 2013, 10:21 PM

we know the debacle that the cavernous Colon is in Columbia.

Here's a story about Auburn's new basketball arena....

AUBURN - Attendance at Auburn Arena was the lowest in its three year existence for both the men’s and women’s Auburn basketball teams this season.

The Auburn men drew an announced total of 106,375 fans in 17 home games this season for an average crowd of 6,257.35 which was a drop of more than 4,000 overall and nearly 250 on average from last season's 110,534 total and 6,502 average. As a percent of capacity, the men filled 68.6 percent of the 9,121 seat building which cost $92.5 million.

Auburn Arena was sold out for only one game in each of the past two seasons – both times against Kentucky – and five times overall in three seasons. The three smallest SEC home crowds for men’s games at the new building - each below 5,800 - all happened this season.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20130307/SPORTS0402/130307011/Auburn-basketball-attendance-3-year-low-new-arena

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no sure fire fix

Mar 7, 2013, 10:33 PM

but not doing what it takes to have a comprehensive program that compares well to the other schools in our league is a sure fire recipe for long term mediocrity, maybe even long term failure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A quality component

Mar 7, 2013, 10:40 PM

A new arena is another component we need to have top facilities for the university as a whole. Just as a new Science Building or iCAR or the MBA Program at One or the West End Zone.

Top facilities attract top students, athletes, professors, coaches, musical acts, non-conference opponents and fans in seats.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why a new basketball arena isn't a sure-fire fix

Mar 7, 2013, 10:38 PM

Nobody is saying that it is going to fix all of our problems. In fact most Clemson fans are actually saying build a smaller arena (meaning lower attendance). I don't think our situation is similar to any other school out there.

We are actually talking about downgrading seats and upgrading amenities for fans and players.

Well, doing nothing certainly isn't an option...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:38 PM

I don't understand why Clemson fans don't get the concept that Littlejohn in inadequate. Something HAS to be done in order to be somewhat competitive in the ACC, especially after Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pittsburg join. If you're standing still, you're going backward. The only sport at Clemson that has competitive facilities on a conference and national basis is football (and maybe golf). Everything else needs major upgrades. Clemson has sat on its hands entirely too long and is now going to face the consequences.

hey I'm all for replacing Littlejohn

Mar 7, 2013, 10:45 PM

nowhere do I say I am not. If I was in charge, I'd build a new place in the parking lot right next door.

Just presenting some data to examine, that's all. Spending $80-$100 million dollars is a sickening thought to produce little to nothing, as it appears here with Auburn.

I wish they'd build it in the parking lot next door...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 PM

but apparently that isn't an option.

Re: hey I'm all for replacing Littlejohn

Mar 7, 2013, 10:53 PM [ in reply to hey I'm all for replacing Littlejohn ]

Scooter,

You do know eventually we will have to build a new arena no matter what our goal is. Everything gets old. LJ has been with us for 60 years. Take making money, winning national championships, winning the ACC out of all this. Just the basic fact of life. The building is old. Eventually we have to move on to something new.

Greenville Memorial Auditorium was great in the 80s. It was demolished for a reason. It reached its lifespan. It happens to every building

Littlejohn opened in 1968...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:57 PM

which hasn't been quite 60 years. Even the addition that was built 10 years ago was inadequate from the day it opened. The practice court is entirely too small and there's only one of them. If something else is going on in Littlejohn, then both teams can't practice at the same time, creating scheduling issues. One of my biggest complaints with Littlejohn is the rusted metal posts and beams. I know it was meant to be that way, but I don't think it looks good.

Re: Well, doing nothing certainly isn't an option...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Well, doing nothing certainly isn't an option... ]

Agreed. I don't wish to spend money on non revenue sports though. Just baseball, basketball, and football. Maybe do a soccer project every once in a blue moon (they are actually already working on the front of Riggs Field)

Clemson has done essentially nothing with Riggs Field...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:52 PM

in 25 years. Yes, they renovated the locker rooms and they replaced the scoreboard (a hand-me-down from football) and the press box, but that's it. In 25 years. The work currently being done on Riggs Field is as much, if not more, a public safety issue as it is an athletic issue. The current sidewalk that parallels 93 is WAY too narrow and therefore terribly unsafe. It's a wonder someone hasn't been seriously injured along that stretch of road.

Why they think it isn't inadequate

Mar 7, 2013, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Well, doing nothing certainly isn't an option... ]

because OP won with the same building and facilities. Maybe it isn't the facilities, it is the coach. I agree we can work on somethings and a new stadium isn't a bad idea, but we were winning a couple of years ago with the same stuff.

It's inadequate...

Mar 8, 2013, 12:04 AM

because there's only one practice court (which is too small) and two teams. The practice gym isn't wide enough for them to run two sets of drills at the same time. Larry Shyatt told me that when it was built; that isn't a new problem. If the arena is in use (like graduation or the Career Fair or a science fair or something) then both teams can't practice at the same time, which creates scheduling problems. The coaches' offices aren't in the building. The Clemson locker rooms are on the second floor of the annex and not the top floor. Like the Doug Kingsmore project, it's more about the things fans DON'T see than the things they do.

Mar 7, 2013, 10:43 PM

Also you conveniently forgot to add the fact that the actual product on the court is not great this year.

9-21, 3-13....that is just downright terrible.

A facility is not an instant fix to all of your problems, but it is a step in the right direction. It is part of the equation.

Because an arena can't shoot free throws?***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fact is we need a new arena at some point in the future

Mar 8, 2013, 12:23 AM

Littlejohn is great, and some awesome memories. But its days are numbered. Right now if we can get the funds, its a great time to take on a little debt and build with the building market the way it is.

This really goes for all sports...

Mar 8, 2013, 12:32 AM

as much as I want to get the work done at Doug Kingsmore, I'd rather have it done right than done soon. If there are things not currently included in the plans that Clemson thinks it will need, then let's build them now and not look back in 5 years and go "well, we should have done so and so...". That's sort of what happened with Littlejohn in 2003. Everybody was so excited about how nice it looked compared to the dump it was before, that few people understood that it was still lacking things.

Mar 8, 2013, 7:22 AM

No one said it is a sure fire fix but what is a 100% sure fire fix is sitting on our ### while our Facilities rank near dead last in the league.

null

Mar 8, 2013, 9:35 PM

Yep,

Cameron Indoor is the only obviously inferior statium to Littlejohn, and we wouldn't want to have to put up with that type of product.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic