Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: Choose this day who you follow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: Choose this day who you follow

Oct 27, 2013, 10:56 AM

A quick quiz: When was the last time Clemson won seven straight road games?

Dang! I was an assistant coach then!

Here's a hint: Jimmy Carter was in the White House, R.C. Edwards was Clemson's president and Charley Pell hadn't gotten a phone call from Florida yet.

Here's another: When was the last time Clemson beat 15 straight unranked foes by double digits. Here's a hint: never.

Let that sink in ... never. N-E-V-E-R. Even in the glory days,we could constantly win road games. And if we did, they were a lot closer than the past couple of years.

We are living in a world of double-digit winning seasons, of laying waste to our opponents, of days where Tiger fans could comfortably walk out of opponent stadiums without catcalls of "Clemson sucks!" ... because we kicked their rear ends, and it would certainly suck to admit a team that sucked just blistered your team.

Those of us with age and experience can remember when that wasn't the case. And it happened more than we'd care to recall.

No matter how miserable it's making you, this is a golden era of Clemson football. Yet, this place is rife with people talking about how it sucks to be a Clemson fan.

My mind boggles from it. So, I'm going to make it easy for you. I'm calling the Sons of Clemson together, one grand gathering of the faithful at Shechem.

And I'm giving you this ultimatum: Choose.

So, I see you've decided to cheer for UCLA?

Choose this day who you will follow: a team with three losses to top 10 foes over the past 22 months or someone else. And let me tell you, the list of teams that have a better record in that stretch is pretty dang short.

Clemson is the team that you have followed from your earliest days, when your father put his hand on your shoulder and said, "Son, one day you'll be a man. I pray, and I will do all within my power, to make sure you are a Clemson Man."

Clemson is the team you made a conscious decision to follow, either as a student or a young adult swept up in the spirit of the finest institution of the South. Clemson is the home and heart of your faith and family. It is the place that calls you, the place you will always return to someday.

Granted, it can be tough at times ...

Clemson is home, and home is sometimes a mess. There are days you have a screaming, foot-stomping fight and storm out the door. But you always come back ... because it's home.

I sense many are feeling that way this morning. I get it. But I also see where others, those who do not love Clemson and our family, who are doing anything they can to warp the walls and steal the copper wiring from our home. The ones who refuse to take our team, our school, our life for the blessings that they are.

The ones who will tell you it sucks to be a Clemson fan.

"Clemson sucks! We're doomed! You should be miserable ... just like me!"

You owe these people who say that nothing but the scorn and revilement they deserve. Frankly, I'm d@mned tired of their whining. And if you find yourselves in agreement with them, then this morning is your day to stop ... and choose.

We will not think any the less of those who cannot stand with the Sons of Clemson. It isn't always the easiest path. But I can promise you, watching Clemson only beat Maryland on the road by two touchdowns is a #### of a lot easier than MANY games I've endured.

For all the complaints and whining you may produce about yesterday's game, I can offer you FAR worse, and in those my love of this team was not shaken. And I know there is a cloud of witnesses, cleansed in the trials of the past who will stand in unison as Clemson Men.

I am calling on all those witnesses who feel a bit shaken (and I realize that being shaken by a double-digit road win is an oddity to begin with) to pause and reflect. Find the truth in your heart and cast aside the chuckleheads who would sway you.

If Clemson is your team, then stand this day and say so. If not, leave and give us all peace.

And good luck finding another group who won't kick you in the head when you start complaining about winning streaks and dominating opponents.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You Darn Skippy!!***

Oct 27, 2013, 11:06 AM

null

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had that verse from Joshua 24:15 on my wall for about 15 yrs

Oct 27, 2013, 11:08 AM

in a framed picture, then took it down a few years ago
to do some painting and rearranging and haven't been
able to find it since. Your sermon makes me want to
find it again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: Choose this day who you follow

Oct 27, 2013, 11:09 AM

I choose Clemson!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 11:10 AM

Preach it rev, preach it. It's all about getting the W. Forget the style points! Great days are to come, in fact they are pretty doggone good right now. Take it from someone who endured 6 losing seasons while a student at CU. Let's enjoy the ride. If you don't like 3 straight winning records in conference and overall and you don't respect a head coach who is one heck of a man and who is doing it the right way, get OFF the train now! We do not need your negativity!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow, you must have been there in the early to mid 70s***

Oct 27, 2013, 11:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wow, you must have been there in the early to mid 70s***

Oct 27, 2013, 6:15 PM

Yes. I am older than dirt. Student for fall of 70,71,72,72,75,76. Took off 74 to work a year before masters. Losing record all 6 years but 3-3 vs. SC. Otherwise 0 - all versus SEC. The one year I was off, we did beat Ga, GT and SC and got rooked at UT. So, I appreciate and savor all these wins and every minute I am in the valley!

Re: remember the scores from 1976? Other than USuC?

Oct 28, 2013, 11:10 AM

I do! It wasn't pretty. Check out the score against Bammer at their place or GAi in ours on national TV. Yea we beat USuC but we fired our coach and hired Pell. I also remember those long rides home from Clemson after taking another a#* whipping in the Tommy West days. These young fans just don't know how it feels to just long for a win. By any amount! We even became the whipping boy for VA "the white meat". We won't his game by TWO touchdowns!! We played poorly but still kicked their rear ends!! Too many spoiled fans if you ask me.

Oct 27, 2013, 11:12 AM

And oh by the way, let's take the jawbone of a donkey and see about slaying some Philistines on 11/30!

Oct 27, 2013, 11:13 AM

What a sermon!!! I proudly choose the Clemson Tigers!

Re: Sunshine Tigers

Oct 27, 2013, 12:21 PM

Seems to me Thomas Paine's call for American patriotism applies here. Becasue of the opportunity and then the disappointment, we too easily desert in the face adversity. These are the times that try Tiger souls. Many summer soldiers and sunshine Tigers will wine, moan and sware they are through with Clemson. I agree with the Rev.; it is their right to say what they choose (Paine's side did win after all) but please let the rest of us get on with the fight.

Oct 27, 2013, 11:14 AM

AMEN.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 11:30 AM

Tell it Rev! As I watched that game yesterday I wanted to pull my hair out at times and I just wanted us to win. The way it turned out I personally am more than happy with it. Ive Been choosing Clemson since the mid 80's. These are great times right now to be a Tiger. GO TIGERS!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am with you Rev. I shall never waver. I too remember..

Oct 27, 2013, 11:46 AM

those upsetting upsets. I am enjoying this reserection.

I emphatically STAND for Clemson THIS DAY and ALL THE REST

Oct 27, 2013, 11:47 AM

OF THE DAYS OF MY LIFE.

Through thick & thin - through epic beatdowns (was at the Orange Bowl, last week, Donavan McNabb bowl game, puntrooskie, the Doak when it was supposed to be an epic battle we we lost 56-3, California in a bowl game, etc) and through INCREDIBLE moments of unbridled joy (THE Orange Bowl game, Oklahoma and Penn State Bowl games, the Illinois bowl game, the year after the puntrooskie in Doak when we woodshed them, at Miami to break their home winning streak, etc.)

I am, by the Grace of God, a Clemson Man that will choose to find the good in my most favorite hobby - Clemson football.

Otherwise - why do it ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 27, 2013, 11:48 AM

Great job!!! Wouldn't football be a boring game if we knew the winner before the game started. We play the games to decide a winner thus we have a passion for the game. Things happen through out a season that can change the out come of ones season. I love the game as we all do, what makes it great is you never know what might happen on any given Saturday afternoon. Been a long time sense we have enjoyed the type of success we are having now, I'm all in and always will be win or lose. GO TIGERS!!! Win the rest and beat the coots.

AMEN! *******

Oct 27, 2013, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm: That "angel" packs a wallop ...

Oct 27, 2013, 12:10 PM

Very much the image of Revy from Black Lagoon ...

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i got your back, clemson nation !

Oct 27, 2013, 11:53 AM

nice sermon, rev.

Oct 27, 2013, 12:00 PM

Thank you for a great post!

Rev has a very succinct way of phrasing things that make

Oct 27, 2013, 12:07 PM

you want to strangle some of these people on here! Tiger born, Tiger bred! Go Tigers!

Oct 27, 2013, 12:12 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH....golden age huh? Sorry but no age in Clemson history that contains 4 straight ### whippings to the chickens (soon to be 5)should be considered "golden".

Yeah, I guess you were happy winning 8 games a year

Oct 27, 2013, 12:39 PM

But as long as we beat USuC right??? Get a clue man, nobody likes the results we've had against those guys lately, but again, this is the best their football team has EVER BEEN.. This too shall pass, and it starts this year.

If you think we're already going to lose, sounds like you've chosen. Go pull for somebody else.

You have made your choice. Go your way...***

Oct 27, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon: Choose this day who you follow ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that is what you require for happiness...

Oct 27, 2013, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon: Choose this day who you follow ]

...then you are welcome to seek it elsewhere. Your problem is ... you cannot. In this brief aberration of history, the Capons have been very dang good. If you are able to find any team with a 3-2 record against the Chickens in the past 5 years, by all means, join their flock.

Oct 27, 2013, 12:14 PM

I chose Clemson in 1970. Having lived through the Hootie Ingram years and 1 year with Red Parker proudly as a Clemson man, I can't imagine anything that would sway me from being a Clemson man. The Dabo Swinney years have been terrific compared to those 4 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Fact FSU has lost to unranked opponents 8 years...

Oct 27, 2013, 12:45 PM

in a row (up until this season thus far). Fact USC lost to unranked opponent just 8 days ago. Fact Clemson has not lost to unranked opponent since Nov. 2011.

I for one am with you on being sick and tired of everyone complaining about winning and only losing to teams that are good/great teams that aren't teams we have no business losing to. Last Saturday against FSU was not us "pulling a Clemson". Pulling a Clemson would have been us beating FSU and then losing yesterday to Maryland.

Dabo and company are building something special and I've got and had my popcorn ready to sit back and watch it and enjoy the ride!

great as usual, Rev!***

Oct 27, 2013, 12:45 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Rev, please don't forget the DAUGHTERS of Clemson!***

Oct 27, 2013, 12:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By all means, Zoe! Warrior princesses are welcome!***

Oct 27, 2013, 1:53 PM

amen rev, I'm with you!***

Oct 27, 2013, 1:20 PM

Oct 27, 2013, 2:18 PM

AMEN! You speak for most of us Reverand! I remember the '81 season and there were several games we thought were "ugly" that year, but we took comfort in the fact that we found a way to win each of them.

On to Virginia, Beat the Cavs!

Bump: Call it a sunrise sermonette now...

Oct 28, 2013, 5:48 AM

Back to the grind...

Oct 28, 2013, 7:17 AM

I chose Clemson back in 1956 as a high schooler whose brother just started Clemson. I've seen the mountain tops and been dragged through the valleys, so right now is another golden era in Clemson football. I say embrace it and ride it and enjoy it for all it's worth. I gladly choose Clemson and I'm all in!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great perspective Rev-

Oct 28, 2013, 8:53 AM

If the internet was alive and keyboards on every cell phone Danny would not have made it out of Tulane game alive. And 10-8 in Chapel Hill. Fire the OC too! What I wouldnt give me a dollar for every time someone in the stands screamed at Danny to "just throw the dang ball". the list goes on .

I sat in Boise without sunscreen as the field started icing over in that glorious bowl game. BBT field down 45-0 to Wake and having an older female Deacon fan telling me so politely-" my, your team isnt very good anymore" (and she was right). I left Dook after the field goal that saddled us with a loss to Dook. Gator Bowl after Syracuse destryoed us.

I chose now. 297 miles to Charlottesville this weekend and I get to spend my day with 5-6000 of my Orange clad friends, my niece, nephew and brother!

Perspective!

I'm not 100% on this one Rev, Sorry!

Oct 28, 2013, 9:21 AM

I'd bet most of us on here bleed orange, but sometimes bleeding is caused by wounds and it hurts. Let people heal and say what they want on here about this team, coaches, etc. If this forum isn't for voicing opinion, it's worthless.

Blindly following with no opinion means you aren't engaged. I am assuming as Rev you know that even Jesus had doubters amongst his chosen disciples, a rag tag bunch that had to see the stigmata after his resurrection. Were they any less followers? They chose sides but still needed reassurance.

Some folks on here needed to be reassured, and some didn't get that Saturday. Others (I'd venture that most fans) did.

That being said, I enjoy your messages every week. The Orange is strong in you!

GO TIGERS!

There's a difference between doubt and denigration

Oct 28, 2013, 9:38 AM

As you note, Thomas had his doubts, but as he said in John, Chapter 11: "Let us go to Jerusalem to die with him."

Thomas was All In when it counted. When the Apostles ran out of food at the Sermon on the Mount, Thomas wasn't out front screaming, "Fire Jesus! This is unacceptable! He's been Messiah for nearly three years. We deserve better! The Pharisees are going to kill us if we don't get better!"

Reasoned discussion are the life blood of the boards. I contend that we can disagree on issues, but still be absolutely behind the Tigers. But that isn't the tone of these posts.

We all have doubts and concerns, but when the time comes to stand with the young men who bleed and hurt to honor our school deserve to have us at the ready.

We must be willing to go to Jerusalem and die with them ... not back out and fling fish from the banks of the Sea of Galilee when things get tough.

You stand. You choose. You live with that choice.

Perfect Will vesus Permissive Will

Oct 28, 2013, 10:20 AM

I choose Perfect.

AMEN.

God chooses both, who's right?***

Oct 28, 2013, 10:46 AM

AMEN and thumbs up, Rev....

Oct 28, 2013, 10:29 AM

your post is worthy of HOF status. It really is that good. Thank you, good sir.

I was TU #69!

Oct 28, 2013, 10:38 AM

Also, who would TD this???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for a great sermon at a great time! Go Tigers!***

Oct 28, 2013, 10:45 AM

in the end

Oct 28, 2013, 10:49 AM

we will defeat Lucifer

Oct 28, 2013, 11:41 AM

Well said. Alright all you losers,here is your chance to go!

Rev, you hit the pulse and perspective like few can

Oct 28, 2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Oct 28, 2013, 12:21 PM

v. I have been a fan of Clemson for as long as I can remember. Remember playing on the hill in the 50's. Going to first Carolina game at Clemson with my dad and sitting in the brand new West end zone. Was a football manager from 1962-1965 seasons, graduating in 1966. I have never booed my team I support the players 100%. I don't care who was the coach, I am a CLEMSON TIGER. I love the coach we have now who will take us to the promised land. If that makes me a sunshine pumper, so be it. I love my tigers and I love Clemson right behind God and my family. I have even converted my daughter-in-law from a Dawg fan to a tiger. No one ever questions my loyalty. Keep preaching brother!

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic