Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Terry Allen --- Vividly remember him being carted off field
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Terry Allen --- Vividly remember him being carted off field

Oct 28, 2012, 10:12 AM

#21 on Greatest Clemson Tigers Football List (in 1999)

Terry Allen, RB (1987-89)
Terry Allen was noted for his toughness, perhaps the most resilient runner in Clemson history. The native of Georgia was Clemson's top rusher in 1987 and 1988, and only a knee injury prohibited him from leading the team in 1989.

As is the case with many of the players on this 25-man list, Allen was not a highly recruited player out of high school. In fact, the overiding reason he decided to come to Clemson was Danny Ford's willingness to give him a shot at tailback. Every other school wanted him to be a defensive back because they had measured his speed at less than blazing.

But, those other coaches failed to measure Allen's heart. After red-shirting the 1986 season, Allen burst on the scene in 1987, leading the ACC in rushing and setting a Clemson freshman record. A key victory for the Tigers that year took place against Georgia, a 21-20 verdict. His straight ahead, run over the opposition approach, was pivotal on Clemson's winning touchdown drive. In 1988 as a sophomore, he again led the team in rushing, and the year was climaxed with his selection as the offensive MVP of the Citrus Bowl victory over Oklahoma.

Allen's junior year was a constant battle against injury. He geared up for one last stand against South Carolina, and he responded with 89 yards in the first half, leading Clemson to a convincing lead. But, on his final carry of the first half, he was struck square in the knee, the area that had been giving him trouble. He never carried the ball again for the Tigers.

After that season, Allen decided to turn pro, a decision that was met with criticism due to his injuries. He felt if a team could draft him, they would be responsible for him and realize his work ethic. An injury during a senior year at Clemson would effectively end his career.

The gamble paid off. He was drafted in the 10th round by the Minnesota Vikings. He was injured during 1990, but the Vikings stayed with him. In seven healthy seasons, he has had four 1000-yard seasons and is the only running back in NFL history to come back from torn ACL injuries on both knees.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought of him yesterday when I saw ML go down.

Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 AM

I realize that Lattimore's injury is really bad, but for some reason it made me think of Terry.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had the same thoughts. Terry was amazing.***

Oct 28, 2012, 10:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Allen's injuries where no where near as serious as ML's***

Oct 28, 2012, 5:14 PM [ in reply to I thought of him yesterday when I saw ML go down. ]

You sort of make my point --- Didn't say it was as bad

Oct 28, 2012, 5:23 PM

Just wondered if anybody would care about a Clemson related post. A few did. Most did not.

He was a special player. Ellington sorta reminds me

Oct 28, 2012, 10:16 AM

of him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Facebook Page: "Prayers for Terry"***

Oct 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only a test to see if this is a Tiger website or not***

Oct 28, 2012, 4:56 PM

Replies: 7