Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Face masks versus College Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,351

Face masks versus College Football

Jul 23, 2020, 12:13 AM

I know that some folks on this forum have been asking about studies that have studies the effectiveness of face masks. Whether or not you believe these studies is completely up to you.

My thinking is that if wearing face masks even remotely improves the chances of having college football this season, why not wear them!

Stay safe whether you wear masks or not.

This study showed that requiring people to wear face masks all the time could be enough to contain an outbreak — no lockdown necessary.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rspa.2020.0376

This study found that even relatively ineffective face masks can reduce community transmission.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7186508/

This study found that a simple cloth mask "substantially decreases" the spread of virus particles.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.03444

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Face masks versus College Football

Jul 23, 2020, 12:27 AM

You ever notice how all these “studies” always use words like “could”, “may”, “possibly”, or other nondefinte terms as if they don’t really have solid conclusive evidence at all.

Yeah....interesting right?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2020, 7:43 AM

Hey, I've complained about the government overreach, the idiocy of many of the mandates, and the efficacy of masks. But still complied, wearing masks when required and unaviodable. Otherwise I've just not done things where a mask might be required but I didn't have to do it, just like I can not shop at places that have a "No Guns" sign while I'm legally carrying, they don't want my money, I won't spend it there.

From the CDC:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures

Face Masks

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25)

Of course, the COVID-panicked folks will say "BUT THAT WAS THE FLU VIRUS! THE COVID VIRUS IS A LITERALLY A MILLION TIMES MORE INFECTIOUS AND ONLY MASKS ON EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME CAN POSSIBLY SAVE GRANDMA!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2020, 8:13 AM

Like you, I have worn the masks where required. I am not going to wear one while walking around the block (or something of the kind). If I never see another mask it will be too soon. You can't convince people that these cheap masks do nothing, so why even try (N95 masks are a different story).
I just do what society is calling for at the moment so as not to be socially shamed in public. The way people are reacting these days, it may not be safe for you or your family. Lawlessness and ridicule seem to be the going theme for this year, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. "Give us this day our daily bread".

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 23, 2020, 8:16 AM

I believe that face masks should be mandatory for all football players............Otherwise, there'll be a lot of broken noses. End of argument.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,351
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic