Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why leave the ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 3,071

Why leave the ACC?

May 5, 2012, 10:04 PM

Because you can win the ACC Championship year in and year out and still not be considered an elite college football program. If fact, right now, winning the State Championship will put Clemson a lot closer be being considered elite than an ACC Championship. That’s because the Coots are far better than anyone in the ACC, as much as it pains me to say it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can bet the ACC will be one of the last conferences in

May 5, 2012, 10:17 PM

the new four team playoff unless you are undefeated you might have a chance.

Not true. Had Va. Tech beat us in the ACCCG they would have

May 5, 2012, 10:32 PM

made it in last year with 1 loss. Had we not lost to NC State and USuC we would have as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh, there was no team playoff last year. I am talking

May 6, 2012, 12:24 PM

about the new 4 team playoff being considered by the BCS.

Yes, and I'm referring to the legitimate chance that an ACC

May 6, 2012, 1:01 PM

team would have had just this past season were this new arrangement in place. The argument was that an ACC team would have to go undefeated to make a 4-team playoff, and I'm refuting that notion with a scenario that is less than a season old for a 1-loss ACC team. As it turns out, neither us nor Va. Tech was worthy of inclusion last season, but each had a legitimate opportunity under what is being put together.

The most likely arrangement that I see coming down with this is the Top 6 model, whereby if a conference champion is ranked in the top 6 then they would have priority over a non-champion team that is ranked higher. I say it's most likely because it's the best way to protect the value of the existing conference championship games and still maintain the "sanctity of the regular season" that the BCS system so often touts.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can bet the ACC will be one of the last conferences in

May 6, 2012, 9:26 PM [ in reply to You can bet the ACC will be one of the last conferences in ]

The fact is a one loss ACC team would very much be in the discussion of a 4-team playoff. If Clemson beat NC State, South Carolina, and Virginia Tech they would have had a good chance of jumping in front of late losing Stanford and Oklahoma St.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why leave the ACC?

May 5, 2012, 10:19 PM

They recently got whipped by FSU and lost to NC State, so I don't think they're better than everyone in the ACC.

Clemson might need to leave the ACC to get into a conference that has a payout comparable to the SEC so we don't fall behind in facilities and coaches salaries.

Anyone that finishes with only 1 loss in the ACC

May 6, 2012, 1:18 AM

Always gets ranked well. What do you expect when the best team as 3-4 losses yearly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple. If the ACC isnt going to fire Swofford and get a

May 5, 2012, 10:34 PM

business savvy, non-biased commissioner, then we need to focus on the changing face of college football and the money that entails. Swofford is positively killing the ACC with his lack of leadership and lack of foresight. It's a darn shame such an incompetent moron is in charge of a golden egg.

Yea, picking up Miami, BC, VT, Pitt, and Syracuse

May 6, 2012, 8:54 AM

weren't a positive thing.

How dare he pick up 5 outstanding academic institutions with great football traditions and history, and three with great basketball history as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, you're right. The ACC is known far and wide as a...

May 6, 2012, 1:09 PM

..top tier football conference. Nevermind the fact we might get left behind in a new playoff structure. Yep, you're right - the ACC is an awesome football conference. Everyone knows that.

LOL.

How did we get left behind? Be specific.***

May 6, 2012, 1:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you talking about?***

May 6, 2012, 1:47 PM

You said we may get left behind in new playoff structure***

May 6, 2012, 2:24 PM

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

Really? I said "we may got left behind"??

May 6, 2012, 3:40 PM

You may want to read it again and start over. And oh yeah, seems you skipped over this: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1101758&messageID=12186778

Ok, so you realize saying we may get left behind is bs.***

May 6, 2012, 3:44 PM

LMAO. Nice editing.

May 6, 2012, 4:03 PM

It's not BS to be concerned with the changing state of college football, and the fact the ACC is one of the lower rated football conferences. A quick analogy is that a 1-loss Big 12 or SEC school will bypass a 1-loss ACC team most every time in a 4 team playoff. That's not "BS", not at all.

Those type of scenarios could play out unless we strengthen the ACC, but evidently the league's leadership has no clue. Additions of Syracuse and Pitt do NOTHING in that regard, and in fact may pull the league down even more.

This is simple, common sense, unless you're someone who takes the other side of arguments just for the sake of it... regardless of how much that stance may lack logic or substance.

A one loss ACC team would rarely get in with the new or old

May 6, 2012, 5:47 PM

BCS. However, a one loss Clemson team would get in this year probably because we have Auburn and USC on the schedule, unless there are two undefeated teams. Does a one loss FSU team(with all their tradition) get in last year with a loss to us but wins over Oklahoma and UF outside the conference? A one loss VT team probably doesn't get in because their schedule was one of the easiest in the country. Does a one loss Miami team get in because of their history? Some years. How about GT with a win over UGA at season's end. Some years for sure. Adding WVU over Syracuse and Pitt does nothing to that scenario most years. Who would you add other than 'cuse/Pitt? Boise? Basketball schools A&M and Missouri like the SEC did?

The key is not to lose to a team like Iowa State like OSU did last year.

the only reason to leave the acc is simple, money.

May 5, 2012, 10:35 PM

that's it. period. the misconception that no one can win a national championship out of the weak acc is crazy. Florida St did it for years, yes i know that was a while ago, but even recently USC laid three ground work for how you win championships playing in a watered down conference as they did in the pac 10 for years, quite simply you schedule real quality ooc games and you win, period. anyone who believes that a Clemson team goes 13-0, beasts both auburn and south Carolina and doesn't play in nc is just wrong period. just win, its that easy.

^^^^^^this

May 6, 2012, 8:46 AM

$$$ is the one and only reason we would leave. Now, there are many reasons for which I'd be glad, but the only reason compelling enough to go is $$$.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

if you cant be considered elite if your in the ACC

May 5, 2012, 10:38 PM

then explain FSU..

Re: if you cant be considered elite if your in the ACC

May 5, 2012, 11:54 PM

what's so elite about them now?

nothing, thats my point

May 6, 2012, 2:33 AM

If we cant be deemed "elite" by the media because were in the ACC, why does the media always claim that FSU is a national title contender year in and year out when they havnt done anything in years?

Re: nothing, thats my point

May 6, 2012, 6:06 PM

If they can be considered elite in the ACC and they haven't won it since 2005 then hell, by all means WE can be considered elite

May 5, 2012, 11:06 PM

"Far" better!!! Check your self, something is leaking out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2012, 8:43 AM

When we were 8-0 last year, we were ranked 5th in the nation! If we went undefeated last year, we whould have been in the the ship.

Agree, USC was better than VT and FSU last year. You can't

May 6, 2012, 8:48 AM

make the assertion they will be better than both this year. Looking ahead, I see FSU better than USC the next few years but USC better than VT.

Message was edited by: josephg®

May 6, 2012, 9:05 AM

you give USC way to much credit,They just want to beat us more than we want to beat them,right now

May 6, 2012, 3:54 PM

If wanting something more is all it took, I'd be a millionaire many times over.

May 6, 2012, 1:14 PM

Two reasons:

I'd rather what us play Texas, OU, OK State than Duke, Boston College and Pitt.

Big 12 anticipates, after their new tv contract, each school will get over $30M. More than doubled what we are getting now.

May 6, 2012, 6:14 PM

Then you must really like loosing more than winning, because that is exactly what would happen, until we get a whole lot better.

If you think the coots are better than anyone in the ACC,

May 6, 2012, 5:55 PM

then you are an effing moron. Go suck on doo doo ice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

May 6, 2012, 6:09 PM

They certainly proofed that in the Chik-fil-A bowl in 2010, against FSU.

Great point!

May 6, 2012, 9:55 PM

TU for you

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU might thing differently***

May 6, 2012, 6:24 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 3,071
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic