Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. FSU position breakdown
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Clemson vs. FSU position breakdown

Oct 15, 2013, 4:00 PM

Position - Advantage
Qb - Clemson
RB - Even
Oline - Even
TE - FSU
WR - Clemson
Dline - Clemson
LB - Clemson
DB - FSU

I was trying to be as unbiased as possible. What do yall think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

WR might be more of a push imo

Oct 15, 2013, 4:03 PM

While we have the most talented WR on the field in Sammy they have some pretty good guys on their side as well.

Now if Bryant steps his game up like he did against NCST then we are stronger.

Especially given how poorly Sammy has played against FSU.

Oct 15, 2013, 4:08 PM

They seem to have gotten into his head. Hopefully he shakes those cobwebs loose this Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What makes you say that? He torched them in 2011

Oct 15, 2013, 4:09 PM

and last year he was sick. Let's not forget that he had to go to the hospital after that game, making him miss the nest one. And according to Dabo his blood work was scary and he lost something like 10 pounds in a week he was so sick.

That's right. Forgot he was sick last year.

Oct 15, 2013, 4:16 PM

He got the ball a bunch last year, but didn't really do anything with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. FSU position breakdown

Oct 15, 2013, 4:03 PM

QB- Clemson but not by as much as I would've thought at the beginning of the year
RB- FSU by a little
Oline- Would've said even but our line looked pretty bad against BC, so edge to FSU
TE- FSU
WR- Slight Clemson but FSU's starters are stout
DLine- Clemson
LB- Clemson
DB- FSU

Re: Clemson vs. FSU position breakdown

Oct 15, 2013, 4:20 PM

better but I dont see us have an LB advantage over FSU. Close yes but not an advantage

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd definitely give them the advantage on RBs / QB's - Even***

Oct 15, 2013, 4:04 PM

No way I'm calling Tajh vs Winston a push

Oct 15, 2013, 4:06 PM

Winston still hasn't played in an environment like our or against a good team yet. Tajh has proven himself time and time again. The advantage goes to him.

Re: I'd definitely give them the advantage on RBs / QB's - Even***

Oct 15, 2013, 4:08 PM [ in reply to I'd definitely give them the advantage on RBs / QB's - Even*** ]

while talent and potential maybe even at QB, Tajh has the experience of a 5th year senior which is why I would give us the advantage

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Even even even even even even even even even even

Oct 15, 2013, 4:11 PM

Being at home . . . Priceless.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

One position you missed which may have been the biggest

Oct 15, 2013, 4:15 PM

reason we lost is special teams. We actually can put the ball in the endzone now instead of letting them run it to midfield...

That long KR turned the tide in that game

Oct 15, 2013, 4:17 PM

I think we'd just take a two score lead and the crowd was all but dead. Then they have a 90+ KR that energized the crowd and team again.

And our secondary got worn down. Venables did not trust

Oct 15, 2013, 4:34 PM

any of the backups to play. He played his starting four the whole game with Blanks getting time at nickel back.

I'll give FSU's rb the edge.

Oct 15, 2013, 4:16 PM

But not by much. Their O-line is better than ours but doesn't match up as well as ours will against their D-Line. Not sure where the sure advantage at TE comes from. Probably depends on how you evaluate a TE in a particular offense.

Nick O'Leary is overrated.

Oct 15, 2013, 4:21 PM

not been impressed with him

Most important matchups. The Chad vs FSU's DC, and Brent vs

Oct 15, 2013, 4:18 PM

Jimbo.

Athletic talent is pretty even.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a little biased towards Clemson, I think...

Oct 15, 2013, 4:18 PM

I'd like to believe what you say is true, but things look more like this:

QB- Clemson, but not by so much that it will make a huge difference.

RB- FSU. They're just more talented there, even if they're less experienced. However, this isn't a big FSU advantage.

OL- FSU. This is simply one of the best OLs in the country, and Clemson hasn't been able to block anybody lately.

TE- FSU.

WR- FSU. A very deep and talented bunch of receivers. I'd have given the nod to Clemson if Peake hadn't been injured, but FSU has to get the slight advantage there.

DL- Clemson

LB- Clemson. At the beginning of the year, I would've told you FSU's LBs were better, but Clemson's LBs have been a real strength this year. Shuey and Anthony have been flying all over the field, and we don't lose much when Steward, Goodson, and others come in.

DB- FSU. This is the position that could win the game for FSU if Clemson doesn't get good pressure on Winston. FSU's WRs are too good to defend for long periods of time, and they'll hurt us after the catch if our safeties are missing tackles.

ST- I actually think this goes to Clemson now. Clemson has a very good punter and kicker, and we've shored up our kick return units.

In my opinion, everything turns on tackling, our LBs keeping their RBs penned in, and getting pressure on Winston so that our DBs don't have to cover all day. I think our offense will score at least enough to keep us in the game, just like last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take + matchups

Oct 15, 2013, 4:22 PM

I say QB - Slight to Clemson, JW looks as good as any Freshman QB Ive ever seen in my entire life. Tajh can be better, but doesn't always play to his best level.
RB - Even
Oline - Even
TE - Even
WR - Slight to Clemson
Dline - Slight to Clemson
LB - Slight to FSU
DB - FSU

Clemson WR's vs FSU DB's - Slight to Clemson
Clemson QB vs FSU Defense - (totally depending on if its NC State Tajh or LSU Tajh)
Clemson RB vs FSU LB's - Slight to FSU LB's
Clemson OL vs FSU DL - Even

FSU WR's vs CLemson DB's - FSU
FSU QB vs Clemson D + crowd - Even or slight to Clemson, hard to tell.
FSU RB's vs Clemson LB's Slight to FSU
FSU OL vs Clemson DL Slight to Clemson

Special Teams - Even

Turnovers - Even

Blown assignments - advantage FSU (we give up more huge plays per game on D)

We need some luck, and for the crowd to be crazy, and to not lose the turnover battle and for Tajh to be on his A game to win this. FSU looks like the scary beast they used to be in the 90's. And I will never forget what that was like. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what makes you think FSU's LBs are better?***

Oct 15, 2013, 4:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They give up less huge plays. That's the only reason.

Oct 16, 2013, 12:14 AM

I like our LB's. I think they are good, I just think FSU's are even better. Both are very fast, both can hit hard.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WRONG!!...

Oct 15, 2013, 5:01 PM

Phil Steele said so.

He said our LBs and DBs would lose against their LBs and DBs if they played each other one on one. Steele though apparently has no idea that these units do not actually play each other.

We are doomed.

FSU has the edge at WR and RB

Oct 15, 2013, 5:01 PM

Hate to say it, but it's the truth at this point.

yep... would be different if Peake was healthy***

Oct 15, 2013, 5:07 PM

Please explain their edge at WR?***

Oct 15, 2013, 5:27 PM [ in reply to FSU has the edge at WR and RB ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Here's how I see it...

Oct 15, 2013, 5:47 PM

Clemson has the best receiver in Watkins, but FSU's top two guys have been better this year than either Humphries or Bryant, and they're both more talented than Humphries.

Let's compare numbers here:

- Clemson

Watkins: 582 yards, 4 TDs

Humphries: 319 yards, 2 TDs

Bryant: 316 yards, 3 TDs

Total: 1217 yards, 9 TDs

FSU

Greene: 407 yards, 5 TDs

Shaw: 466 yards, 3 TDs

Benjamin: 299 yards, 3 TDs

Total: 1117 yards, 11 TDs

I'd say that, in comparison, the production of the top 3 WRs on both teams is pretty even, but again, the difference is that Benjamin is much more talented than Humphries, and Clemson doesn't have a number two WR that has produced as much as Shaw.

If you look down the depth chart, here's what you see:

- Clemson

Seckinger: 147 yards, 2 TDs
Williams: 118 yards, 1 TD
Hopper: 117 yards, 2 TDs

- FSU

O' Leary: 132 yarsd, 5 TDs
Then a bunch of guys with less than 100 yards and no TDs.

So FSU's pretty stacked in their starting line- up, their top two WRs are producing at a very high level, and their TE is catching A LOT of TDs. Clemson has the best player and is a little deeper, but doesn't have the same number of guys at the top of the depth chart that are putting up big numbers. That's why FSU gets the slight nod, although I think fromt the statistical comparison you can see just how slight it is (and how Clemson would probably have the advantage if we had a healthy Peake).

I would give them the nod at RB...prolly OL too...***

Oct 15, 2013, 5:56 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't overlook Bryant being suspended for the first half of wake forest

Oct 16, 2013, 12:25 AM

He could have easily had another 100 yards in that game. In my mind he has made some of the toughest catches out of anyone this year. Did you see him and Sammy basically look interchangeable in that 3 play span against BC.

1 big thing. they have a 1st year defensive coordinator.

Oct 16, 2013, 3:48 AM

that could be a huge advantage for us, as they will still have to think, why we just react.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic