Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU has some impressive skill talent...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

FSU has some impressive skill talent...

Oct 6, 2019, 12:45 PM

...and a veteran senior QB with a live arm who plays very much like a veteran senior QB with a live arm. And while it's easy to say "Willy Taggart is in over his head", FSU has quietly been playing some better ball since they switched QB's. They're 3-2 and while that opening-day loss to Boise and skin-of-their-teeth overtime escape against UL Monroe masked the fact that they almost beat a good UVA team in Virginia and did thump Louisville - themselves improved - pretty convincingly last week.

The NFL will probably like Wisconsin transfer Alex Hornibrook, who displaced James Blackman a few weeks back and is clearly the better player. He's a classic pocket guy, and when you watch him throw he's got a very quick and live (left-handed) delivery; he's very accurate and puts the ball on the target in a hurry. He's got a senior's command and presence and doesn't do goofy stuff; his ball-handling is good, his decision-making is good, he knows when to throw the ball away, and he does not make dumb decisions with the football or put it at risk. He played 36 games at Wisconsin (starting 33 of them) and while his stats weren't overly impressive at Wisconsin he also had a lot less talent at WR than he does now and he wasn't running nearly the same kind of pass-happy Art Briles-tree spread that FSU is running now.

Cam Akers were also the #1 RB in the country coming out of high school and he's finally playing like it. He always had explosive ability but he isn't vanishing in and out of games like he used to; Akers has rushed for 582 of FSU's net 606 rushing yards (for 5.1 yards a pop) and 7 TD's; he's one guy but he looks really good this year. He's running behind a bad OL so those numbers are even more impressive.

Their WR's are similarly impressive. Tamorrion Terry has caught 21 for 384 yards (18.3 yards per catch) and 4 TD's - he's their big jump-ball 50/50 threat - and after that you see the swarm of smallish but very fast vertical guys you're used to seeing in a Briles offense - Kershawn Helton, Ontaria Wilson, DJ Matthews - and between those guys they've added another 46 catches for 560 and another 5 TD's; they're dangerous.

So FSU has some firepower.

Where they're bad is up front on the OL...and all over on D. FSU ranks a truly appalling 110th out of 130 FBS teams on defense, allowing 447.0 ypg, and they've shown a distinct tendency to completely run out of gas on D in the second halves of games because of lack of depth. And FSU's O-line, as mentioned has been terrible - they're 124th out of 130 in sacks allowed (3.80 per game!) and despite Cam Akers' production FSU still ranks just 105th out of 130 in rushing offense.

Also, while Hornibook does have an NFL arm, he also has zero escapability and zero mobility. He can't get first downs with his feet and he can't extend plays with them either. He does show some good pocket awareness and will shift and shuffle around in the pocket to get more space but when the OL doesn't hold up he's dead.

Hornibrook is too good a QB, though, and his WR's are good enough - that FSU is going to make some throws. Where Clemson has to beat them is to whip them up front and prevent the Noles from gaining mo and moving the chains, and they need to hammer that FSU D and impose their will on them with the running game. They do that, they could put this game away fairly early.

They let FSU hang around as they did with UNC last week, and the Noles do have enough skill talent to make Clemson pay for it. FSU still isn't a complete team but they also aren't nearly as bad as that team that allowed Clemson to drop 59 on them in Tally last year either, and they have showed some signs of like since Hornibrook took over at QB.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU has some impressive skill talent...

Oct 6, 2019, 12:50 PM

Great analysis. Agree on all points based on what I've seen

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 12:57 PM

Agree with all of this. Also of equal importance is turnovers and very dumb penaltys. These must be avoided.

Oct 6, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU has some impressive skill talent... ]

I can’t agree on all points because my attention span isn’t long enough to make through the analysis past a paragraph... sorry

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 1:04 PM

Worth the read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU has some impressive skill talent... ]

Your loss. Work on that attention span.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 11:46 AM

He's a Marine like me! We don't have attention spans!

Oct 6, 2019, 1:04 PM

Congratulations, just gave you your 10000. That aside, thanks as always for giving us the real research and breakdown.

People think all these acc teams are bad... and maybe the coaching reflects that to an extent but these forgotten acc teams have been recruiting too.

Tarheels have been top 25 the last several years. I think they’ll prove to be a good team at the end of the year as FSU will.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So FSU has a QB who's played 33 freaking games under center at Wisconsin!

Oct 6, 2019, 1:53 PM

You gotta be kidding me! Geez, no wonder they are playing better.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 3:20 PM

Hope the Clemson coaches read Your comments!

they have improved we better

Oct 6, 2019, 3:32 PM

come to play or it could be bad

Oct 6, 2019, 6:36 PM

So, you’re saying we have a chance.

Right?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You already tried to pull the same scare tactic

Oct 6, 2019, 6:38 PM

with the University of Charlotte, I am not falling for it this time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You already tried to pull the same scare tactic

Oct 6, 2019, 8:53 PM

I'm not sure what's more absurd - trying to talk up Charlotte or Hornibrook's decision making. He was benched at Wisconsin because he made terrible decisions and turnovers.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:44 PM

2019 Blue-Chip Ratio: Clemson 60%, FSU 61%
2018 BCR: Clemson 61%, FSU 67%

I agree that Akers and Hornibrook are good

Oct 6, 2019, 8:01 PM

they are weak in the trenches on both sides of the ball and they don’t have depth, either. I think we start to wear them down in the second half.

Good Football Team. . . .despite the WT hate

Oct 6, 2019, 8:36 PM

Despite all the hate directed toward 2nd year HC Willie Taggert FSU is still formidable. This is his 2nd year and "his recruited talent" are freshmen. I think they have a chance to be a year round solid team; especially after hiring Kendall Briles!
Clemson should be able to win this game on the line of scrimmage! Skill player for skill player is nearly a wash.
They don't have the same depth as CU.

The only way I see them having a chance against my Tigers is: "they would have to get out to a fast start and go out front by multiple scores"! Then hope the CU offense is still figuring things out! If it plays out any other way their lack of depth will catch up to them. BV and company should be able to exploit that OL to get to Hornibrook.
I want to add: Blackman was playing well despite the teams record "when he was given time in the pocket"!

CU wins by 21.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Football Team. . . .despite the WT hate

Oct 6, 2019, 10:28 PM

We should win handily if we play well.

FSU will likely not implode with mistakes all over the field like last year.

FSU has actually benefitted with injuries. Hornibrook is an upgrade at QB. Amari Gainer is an upgrade at LB. Anticipate Gainer to be all over the field with 8-10 tackles. Herb Gainer’s son, long FSU bloodline and well coached in HS.

I'm more concerned about their run game, especially

Oct 6, 2019, 8:34 PM

if Muse is unavailable for run support.

Venables will likely dial up enough different looks and pressures to take advantage of Hornibrook's immobility and their IOline issues for any pass play that isn't lightning fast.

Our offense needs to push the run game outside the tackles...jet sweeps, read options, off-tackle runs, etc. Just running between the tackles isn't going to get it done, especially early.

We need to win, and win by at least 20 points.
Get rid of offensive mistakes and vanilla play calls, and we can do it.

Comments from Nole perspective.

Oct 6, 2019, 8:35 PM

Hornibrook is a good QB. But, his arm strength is questionable. One of the reasons Blackman beat him out was because Briles wants to use a vertical passing game and Blackman's arm strength is better.

Akers is the real deal. He would be the premier back at almost any university in the country. He is in the Etienne/Swift/Taylor category. He will almost certainly be one of the top 3 RBs picked this year, maybe even #1.

WR receiver core is very athletic. But very inconsistent. Probably due to poor coaching. We finally have a quality WR coach this year, so they are getting better.

OL is better than last year, but still stinks. Akers is normally hit 2 yards in the backfield. NCSU sacked Hornibrook 8 times. (Some were because Hornibrook didn't get rid of the ball quickly enough; most were because the OL were impersonating matadors.)

Offense looks great when it can get in rhythm, but way too many 3 and outs. And, it's hard to run up tempo offense when the QB gets sacked or has to run for his life.

Defense has improved since Leavitt was hired. He is the de facto DC now, even though he can't coach the players on the field. They are getting better, but still a long, long way to go. Still give up too many big plays due to players being out of position and/or poor tackling.

You are correct that we have fine athletes. But, it is going to take a couple of years of great coaching to get up back to the Clemson level. Time will tell if we have great coaches.

Oct 6, 2019, 9:07 PM

What ######### actually thumbs downed this??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 10:44 PM

We should be able to see who gives TD’s.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

probably has more to do with the trophy post number***

Oct 7, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU has some impressive skill talent... ]

Clemson

Jen Sturger thread ....

Oct 6, 2019, 10:37 PM

I was expecting ....

null

Re: Jen Sturger thread ....

Oct 6, 2019, 11:14 PM

So was Favre.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will we play more 3 man fronts? Or go back to 4 or 5 DL's?

Oct 6, 2019, 10:43 PM

We played a lot of 3 DL's on the line against UNCheat. When we switched to 5 DL's we stopped them cold.

Of course they do. They've signed just as good or better

Oct 6, 2019, 11:07 PM

recruiting classes the last 5 years.

They will come to Death Valley fired up and wanting to win. Of course we better play to, "Best is the Standard".

Oct 7, 2019, 11:32 AM

Yep people are too quick to dismiss FSU. Its still FSU - they are going to recruit some studs at skill spots. And we're going to get their best shot. Their almost-lost looks very bad but their losses arent that horrible...they were close games. Boise St....yeah its Boise St...but they're still 5-0. And UVA is a really good team too. It would be in our best interest for FSU to finish strong this season (aside from another loss to us, obviously).

Oct 7, 2019, 11:50 AM

Yep - feel like FSU is a sleeping giant - who could be awakened soon ...just hope it’s not this weekend !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic